Digital Temperature Gauge

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 15:43
ThreadID: 6153 Views:4205 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of getting one of those inside/outside digital temp gauges for the Patrol from Dick Smith or Tandy etc. and was wondering where would the best place be to locate the external sensor.

I used to own a Holden Berlina and I recall that the sensor for the external gauge was somewhere in the front wheel arch. Is that the best place for a 4WD considering some of the mud holes and water crossings that occur from time to time?

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:18

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:18
Peter,
Why not consider a combination voltmeter/temp guage from Jaycar (cat XC0116, about $40)? Useful for monitoring your aux battery. Nice unit, backlit, separate readouts for in, out and volts.
The wheel arch sounds fine, provided the spot is free of general crap. I found a spot to put the ext sensor on a L/C behind the grill, but sheltered from both heat radiation from the engine bay and direct effect of rain.
Another member suggested using the ext sensor to monitor your fridge temp.
rgds
Gerry
AnswerID: 25798

Follow Up By: petprass - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:03

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:03
Gerry,

Fantastic unit - just what I have always wanted! To be able to check on the dual battery is an absolute bonus. I will definitely be getting one. Is it difficult to install?

Regarding the fridge - I altready have a cheap in/out unit that I have stuck to the end of the Autofridge. The "Out" reading (ie inside the back of the Patrol) is usually about 45 - 50 degrees on a warm day. Just shows how hot the inside gets.

Peter

FollowupID: 17524

Follow Up By: joc45 - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:06

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 18:06
Piece of pi$$!
Instead of using the cig lighter connection, run the +ve power lead directly to the aux battery +ve, and the other lead to earth. But check out the polarity of the wires before cutting off the cig plug!! +ve is the centre connection of the plug. Also, use an in-line fuse (about 0.5 - 1A) on the +ve lead for protection, just in case of a wiring short. The power lead is fairly light, and should be shrouded where it has to pass by anywhere it could chafe against metal.
The unit comes with velcro kit, and is easily fixed to just about anywhere on your dash/console.
Note, when connected to your aux battery, it is running all the time, and the backlight draws a small amount of currently continuously; this isn't a problem, but if the vehicle is left unused for several weeks, it could be. In that case, remove the fuse.
Jaycar should be paying me a commission for all the plugs I've given this!
Gerry
FollowupID: 17529

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:24

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 16:24
I just ran mine out the passenger door past the seal, it sits in the door space and does a fine job there.

I have the Jaycar unit and its excellent.So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 25799

Reply By: chopper - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:30

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 17:30
I have mine 'hanging' in the 'wing' of the bullbar, it is not attached to the surface , is shaded, and protected from most heat from the engine bay.
AnswerID: 25810

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:55

Thursday, Jul 24, 2003 at 20:55
Peter
The Jaycar one is quite good, mine runs about .5 deg. out.
I know it sounds obvious but make sure that the external sensor is in the shade. I ran my cable past the door seal, under some wind-shield cover-strip and attached it under the roof rack. (A temporary installation for a recent desert trip)
I left it connected to the cig lighter fitting so it isolated when the ignition and accessories were off. The 12V readout was very handy monitoring the dual batteries.
You can record the max & min temps on the Jacar unit and (I suppose like all of them) it gives an audible low battery lavel warning.
I have used it to monitor the temp in our 3 way fridge and found that the 3 way doesn't like off-road touring very much. (It's OK on the road but lifts too high off-road) Thus we bought the 12 V compressor type for touring.
Cheers
AnswerID: 25842

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:19

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 12:19
I had a friend with a regularly tested digital meter check mine yesterday and found that the volt meter is .3 -.5V out in the voltage reading.
This can be significant if you are wanting to know if your battery is at full charge.
From now on I will need to subtract about .5 V from the readout.
Might be a good idea to have anything you get tested for accuracy and I doubt that any of the cheaper models can be calibrated. (Probably cost more the original price anyway)
Oskar
FollowupID: 17721

Reply By: Wazza (Vic) - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:39

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:39
Jaycar unit is good, and I run a switch to alternate the voltage sensor from main to aux battery to keep an eye on both and a second switch to just turn the thing on and off because the blue light stays on all the time.

However, when it is turned on, it has a high pitch hum. Is this common to all of them, or just the one I have? or is mine stuffed?

Mine is the XC0118from Jaycar.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
AnswerID: 25883

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:00

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:00
Actually, having a close up of the one on the Jaycar site, it is not the one I have. It is not on the online catalogue anymore, but I think it is still available in the store. Around $35-39. Anyway, here are some pics I just took of mine.

http://www.geocities.com/cruiserpics/volt_meter

Does anyone else have this model and does it humm??Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
FollowupID: 17575

Follow Up By: Madman - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:54

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:54
I have the same and it hums as well.
FollowupID: 17579

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 01:23

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 01:23
Looks like a trip to Jaycar for me as well - for some LED's (see post on inerior lights) and a temp/voltmeter. Looks good on your photo Wazza. The one I have has decided to play up - records out temp but when I select Inside the temp/date/time gives odd readings. Where to put the sensor ? I have tried it in front of windscreen under bonnet - gets some heat when stationary from the motor, same can happen when mounted in front of car when thermo fans start to push hot air around.
Probably would have frozen today ACT area max temp 8*C - wind chill of - 20* ?? bloody cold anyway.
Time for a trip to warmer places - the Simpson for some wildflowers maybe !Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
FollowupID: 17630

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 08:44

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 08:44
Same as the jaycar one wazzaSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 17638

Reply By: Member - Colin (ACT region) - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:59

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:59
Just re-read some the replies to your post.
Re temp inside car - good reason to choose the colour of the car carefully (like Henry Ford said "you can have any colour you like as long as it's white?"). My car is silver ! but the colour does make a huge difference to inside temp.
Also - add window tinting film. My current car has tinting and I can't believe why I haven't had it on all my previous cars.
In regard to the frig - I have mentioned this here before - cover the frig with self adhesive foam backed foil available from Clark Rubber. It reflects heat and insulates.
And in summer I make use of a foil window 'blind' on the windscreen when parked - always fitted to the outside - not effective if fitted inside as the heat is already in the car.Colin - Subaru Forester
- size isn't everything ! -
AnswerID: 26130

Follow Up By: petprass - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:32

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:32
Not sure why I have to re-read the posts.

The temp in the back of the Patrol was just an observation - doesn't cause a problem. I am sure all vehicles with vertical back windows get bloody hot inside.

I have highest grade window tinting and I do not need any insualtion on the Autofridge as it is a eutectic fridge and very efficient - actually can't attach anything to it and there should be at least 3cm gap all round the fridge otherwise it overheats.

Good idea about the blind being on the outside though.

Peter
FollowupID: 17760

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 22:03

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 22:03
You lot have way too much money and time if this is is the type of sccessory you think you need. It is either hot or cold - If it's hot outside put on the aircon or open the windows - If it's cold outside put on the heater or another jumper. Instead of cluttering up your car with irrelevant crap get out and enjoy the country. bye
AnswerID: 26201

Sponsored Links