Broken Hill to Tibooburra and White cliffs

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 616 Views:1876 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I will be traveling from Melbourne to Tibooburra and then on to Whitecliffs through to Deniliquin on and around new year. I have been told the roads from Broken Hill onwards are fairly hard on tyres, in as far as sharp rocks or stones slashing tyres. If this is so, I would be open to suggestions as to what tyre pressures I should be running, and also road conditions, dry and wet. Also where can you stay in Whitecliffs and at what cost.
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00
Sorry forgot to add I will be driving an NL pajero if this makes any difference.
AnswerID: 1651

Reply By: Adrian - Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 27, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Matt, I'm from Broken Hill and have been back and forth between Broken Hill, White Cliffs and Tibooburra in my Nissan Terrano II, best idea is to keep your pressures normal and as for road conditions, this time of year they're pretty good, but a quick phone call to the local police station and they'll tell you the current road conditions. Have a good trip and enjoy the outback.
AnswerID: 1655

Follow Up By: Matt - Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Adrian
Had a great trip, but I thought the road was a bit rough from Broken Hill to Packsaddle, from there to Tibooburra was good. Also went to the Corner via Toona Gate along the QLD side and back along the normal route. Very enjoyable. The road from Tib to White Cliffs was in good cond also. However I ran the tyres at 30 and 35 PSI and felt every bump. The wife hit her head on the roof at one stage. Boy did she give me an ear full. Also found I had two flat tyres the next morning after going to the corner. one nail and one stone had pierced the tread. Thanks for your info
FollowupID: 550

Reply By: tim - Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 28, 2001 at 01:00
for accom you can try 1 underground motel, approx 40 rooms pool restaraunt bar fantastic experience. or PJ,s private underground home with 4 rooms ,good food,spa ,local hotel in town,just basic pub style rooms,local c/van park is not much more than stony clearing with amenities,but is walking dist to most things,also there is another private home that the owner rents out rooms to visitors also great located approx 200 metres from underground motel.I have stayed in all and like the u/g motel best followed by the private home cost varies but in the range $25-$140 per night
AnswerID: 1656

Follow Up By: Matt - Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 05, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Tim
stayed at the underground motel. Very nice. Salt water pool also enjoyable. Checked out PJs the next day, excellent accom there and very friendly, If you way up the prices between the two they are about the same because PJs include the meals where the underground doesnt. thanks for your help
FollowupID: 551

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 02, 2002 at 01:00
Matt,

You didn't say what tyres you have on the Pajero, and the type of tyre certainly makes a difference.

If you are running A/Ts then you should stick with standard pressures, but if you are running H/Ts you should (IMHO) stick with slightly lower than standard.

On the stony tracks you will be covering the common punctures are either the sidewalls being staked (slashed I suppose), or impact fractures as you bang into them. Reduced pressures will allow your tyres to absorb the impacts and deform over the stones. Carcase flex will also reduce the number of stones that get embedded in the treads. However, the reduced pressures will also increase the sidewall bagging and increase the chance of slashing them.

One last point, if you are runing Dunlop Grandtreks (esp the HT variety) then dump them fast - they have a very poor reputation over rocky roads.

The Pajero will handle the tracks extremely well - it is built for this type of work and while it may lose out to the beam axled 4WDs over really tough terrain it is a far superior vehicle over formed roads and dirt roads.

Enjoy the trip.

Joe
AnswerID: 1667

Follow Up By: Matt - Thursday, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:00
Hi joe How long have you had your pajero??. What model is it and are you in melb. Are you the same joe on the A/C compressor issue?? Waiting your response. Regards Matt
FollowupID: 573

Sponsored Links