Terrano 27TD Oil Change

Submitted: Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 14:42
ThreadID: 6171 Views:3858 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.....
Decided I should start changing my oil to save a few bob. When I wriggled under the engine, I could not locate the drain plug. Despite old age, ailing eyesight, and an absolutely freezing garage floor plus considerable poking around, no luck. There is a drain plug just aft the engine and before the bell housing but I suspect it may be the automatic fluid resovoir. Wonder if the sump guard has to be removed ? Any pointers appreciated. Shall put things on hold till the cold spell in Perth runs out. Many thanks and regards.. Derrick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin - Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 18:48

Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 18:48
Hi Derric, you have the right plug for the engine oil. Auto boxes dont have a drain plug you have to take the bottom sump off to service the auto, something you will not have to do, auto mechanic best way to go in that dept. I think you may need a more mechanically minded person to help you and yes you will save heaps in learning for yourself. May be you need to go to a tecnical college they will show every thing needeed to know . Col
AnswerID: 25921

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 14:12

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 14:12
Derric
I do all my own maintenance, servicing and repairs on all my own vehicles, always have done (30+ years of it).
The most difficult thing about changing the engine oil on the Terrano (I presume you don't mean a Terrano II) is removing the oil filter (I change mine every 5000K's with the oil). It is a bit of a cow but it is achievable. To avoid spilling that black engine oil stuff all over the engine bay and the floor, give the engine a few seconds of running with the sump drained and the sump plug out before you remove the filter.
This should pump some of the oil out of the filter and stop the spillage when you have to twist and tilt the thing getting it out.
I learnt this trick from a fellow Terrano owner who has been doing it for ages.
I used to do this years ago on other vehicles but more recently seem to have forgotten.
Don't forget to change the fuel filter regularly as well.
The advice about learning some skills at a TAFE or something like that is good advice.
The sump plug IS the one you can see near the front cross member and you don't need to remove the bash plate.
Happy dirty fingernails
Oskar

AnswerID: 25998

Follow Up By: Derric - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 21:32
Many thanks Colin &Oskar...
Oil and filter changed and all OK. First time have changed oil on a diesel and a first for an auto trans as well. Old Diesel oil does stick like glue, and that filter, as you said a bit of a cow. Have worked on conventional cars in my younger days so no problems, just a case of fighting the cold in the garage and sore muscles etc. Thanks for replying so promptly.
Possibly see you down the track sometime.
Best regards.. Derrick.
FollowupID: 17893

Follow Up By: Derric - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 21:32
Many thanks Colin &Oskar...
Oil and filter changed and all OK. First time have changed oil on a diesel and a first for an auto trans as well. Old Diesel oil does stick like glue, and that filter, as you said a bit of a cow. Have worked on conventional cars in my younger days so no problems, just a case of fighting the cold in the garage and sore muscles etc. Thanks for replying so promptly.
Possibly see you down the track sometime.
Best regards.. Derrick.
FollowupID: 17894

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:39

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:39
Please give a lot of thought as to how you intend to dispose of the used oil and filters, being the responsible 4x4'er that you are.
AnswerID: 26075

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:59

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 11:59
Good point Steve.
I deposit mine at the waste oil facility at my local tip. I am fortunate that the local council dump allows unlimited access to residents but I believe many councils limit access and then charge as well for extra use.
I guess waste oil needs to be stored before disposal for many DIY'ers but I know I wouldn't really like having the stuf hanging around for months.
FollowupID: 17720

Sponsored Links