Need 2 NO 4's & against, Toyota Surf

Submitted: Friday, Jul 25, 2003 at 19:02
ThreadID: 6176 Views:2145 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Young bloke is thinking about a toyota surf 3 lt turbo diesel or a jeep wrangler. Haven't had a great deal to do with the surf, but so far have found reasonable insurance but those of you who are more familiar with this import may be able to fill me in on dramas and draw backs in relation to these vehicles and costs involved in all sorts of mods and replacements. Particularly interested in the lifting of them , as they are a different setup to the aussie beast. Hit me with the lot boys give me all the info you can on all that you can 4 this car. Thanx. guys hope you can help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 00:57

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 00:57
Young bloke cant be too young if insurance is reasonable!!!

What does he want to do with it? Comp type stuff??

Surf, IFS, so lifting is lots o $$, you can get a coil replacement for them now but its $5k-10k.

Wrangler, US $ makes parts LOTS.. but lots of accessories available for them.
AnswerID: 25956

Reply By: GB - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 16:29

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 16:29
The 3lt Surf is probably one of the best value second hand 4x4's on the market - for that type of vehicle. There are some things to watch out for. Suggest you have a look at these sites, read the archives and ask for advice.

http://pub12.ezboard.com/btoyotasurfdownunder
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota_surf_australia/
AnswerID: 26009

Reply By: Wooders - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:54

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:54
Howesy,

I know stuff all about the surf - but I'm VERY familiar with the TJ Wrangler - I've owned mine now for 6½years, I've preformed a far few mods to it (it's a hobby in it's own right), and at the end of the day I could not be happier with this rig.....
Infact talk to just about anyone that's got a TJ and you'll be met with genuine enthusism about the brand......
The TJ has more mods available for it then ANY other 4x4 on the planet - sadly a lot are US, but more & more are being made locally and there is a solid Jeepers network buildingup lately.
Now if you son decides on the TJ, I highly recommend he get online to the AusJeep forum (www.ausjeepoffroad.com) as there are hundred of Aussie Jeepers actively helping each other out with Jeep specific stuff. Also it will assist in him joining a local Jeep club - which I highly recommend he do.
Anyways without going into to much detail I hope that helps & if you or he have any questions on the Jeep I'd be happy to (have a go) answer them....
AnswerID: 26967

Reply By: pilbaralad - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:28

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:28
I don't know about the rest of Aussie but I know they have stopped importing Surfs in WA as the manufacturers were complaining because of the numbers being sold. The resale value has since plummetted and I think some business would be avoiding importing too many spare parts due to this! Some food for thought.
AnswerID: 27054

Follow Up By: pilbaralad - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:30

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 16:30
Also Surf's are no good in the heat. Local mechanic up here in Newman WA told me that every one thats come into town has done the engine within a year. (We have temps 36-42 for a few months of the year)
FollowupID: 18571

Sponsored Links