Today Tonight..

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 00:59
ThreadID: 6184 Views:2150 Replies:13 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Well apparently they are having their weekly ANTI 4wd show on again on monday.

Blitz the station with mail telling them of how you feel about their ANTI 4WD stance.

SCUM TV SHOW

Im interested to see what the 4wd association is doing about it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnad - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 01:18

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 01:18
Do you remember Frontline with Mike Moore? I cant watch current affair programs now, I just find them ridiculously funny.

The best thing the association could do is ignore them and not validate their argument.

4WD's in Aus is big business, it would take more than a crummy, second rate program to get us banned.
AnswerID: 25961

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:46

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:46
They seem to wedge the 4WD stories in between their nightly "miracle diet" item and their lame "undercover investigations". Thank God for George Negus on Monday to Thursdays. I'd ignore them .. we don't want them thinking they have more viewers than they actually have.
Jack
AnswerID: 25971

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 18:06

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 18:06
Then everyone should mail them stating they shall never watch the show again...

Laughable, but if there were 20,000+ emails from people saying they wont watch it again cause they are sick of the 4wd bashing, .. yea ya right wouldnt make shiat difference..
FollowupID: 17672

Follow Up By: Allan 2 (Pilbara) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:06

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 05:06
Another thing they love to give us is a monthly article on Bras. What for?
FollowupID: 17704

Reply By: Michael - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:58

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:58
The one good thing about those goons is when the black stuff ends, thats where they stop. And ain't that a good thing. Michael
AnswerID: 25988

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:43

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:43
I agree with everyone, "I" dont listen to them, but its the fact that their PATHETIC message gets across to 1,000,000's of people who are Sheep and believe everything they are told, and follow the leader...

We need some high profile person, thats seen in good light like Glenn Ridge to do some 4wd shows and show we are not the rampaging people killers they portray us to be.

My bullbar has never hit a car or pedistrian, let alone killed one - has yours?

Every night theres a diet story, then theres this quality story from their site.

"Eight years ago Steve Sauer cheated on his wife. Since then he's slept on the floor. They don't touch, there's no joy and it's not going to change"

One last thing, they can actually track where their hits to their site come from, eg if you click the link above, in their data it shows that the user came from here to their site, dont know if thats good or bad.

AnswerID: 25989

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:12

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:12
Hey Bruce, For the last couple of weeks Ernie Dingo has been showing some real respect for the bush when showing off the Prado they're giving away, hooning around, road pressures in the bush and all the rest of it, what chance have we got???? Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 17699

Reply By: Member - Bill- Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:53

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:53
Come on guys, don't be too hard on these shows, last year I found out on ACA that if you go into a store and offer to pay cash you may get something cheaper..that was handy. Soon after that I found out that you should be wary of Real Estate Agents because the dirty scoundrels are being really nice but are ACTUALLY trying to get the best price for the SELLER!!Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 25990

Reply By: Prado Boy - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:36

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:36
Hey folks,

Now really - who are they trying to kid these stupid between 6 & 7pm TV shows? On one hand they holler and boast "What a beautiful country - Australia!" yet on the other they tar all 4WD'ers with the same ugly brush. Shame on them all. Fact is if it weren't for 4WD's - we wouldn't be able to see the most beautiful parts of this wide brown land of ours! How many of these presenters have seen much of our country anyway?

Agree with the above - Love George Negus - one of only a handful of decent Journo's this country has preduced - and most work for the ABC! And hence the reason why I rarely watch anything else.

We really do need some high profile personality - like Glen Ridge (or maybe Ron Moon though his fame is limited to the 4WD community mostly) - who has a genuine deep abiding love for our gorgeous country - to make more Videos and TV programs and to encourage people to get out there and experience it. Maybe have him drag along one or two of these nay-saying Journos like Naomi Robson or Ray Martin, and introduce them to the reality that is much of Australia beyond the city limits - show them converted to a lover of our homeland rather than a negative sour faced pounce.

That's my 20c worth.

P.S. If anyone feels like getting such an expidition together then I have a TD Prado and photography business that'll gladly help promote it!
AnswerID: 25996

Follow Up By: Johnad - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:55

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:55
Sounds like a good plan.
FollowupID: 17651

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 14:41

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 14:41
I have an 80 series Landcruiser and plenty of time to spare ...
Jack
FollowupID: 17656

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 15:32

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 15:32
Hi Guys,

I am going to put in my 2cents worth. We are new to 4WD, we love the bush, and certainly respect this country, as does everyone else that I’ve become familiar with, but, there are always going to be people who want to sensationalize things.

We also drive a vintage car, whenever we are out on a run, you can bet your last $ that some idiot will cut us off, causing us to hit the anchors and I can tell you in a 70+ year old car, it’s one hairy ride when that happens. If there was an accident, you know what they’d say, cars like that shouldn’t be on the road, blah, blah, blah, BUT, you go to a display day, as we do regularly, and what do the punters want to do, they want to get in, check out the motor, take pictures of, and generally enjoy seeing these old girls.

My point is, there are always going to be people who disagree with mine/yours/our opinion, they may be misguided, they may be misinformed, they may be ignorant, but hollering about it aint gonna change them.

I agree some high profile people would be great and give credos to us all, and perhaps disparaging articles may help bring them out of the woodwork, and perhaps forums like this go a long way in encouraging that.

Cheers

Lyn [Mrs. Al]
1927 Oldsmobile Tourer

Corrugations...what are they?
AnswerID: 26000

Reply By: Andi - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:05

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:05
Is Naomi on her band wagon again is she. If the 4WD in the city should be banned story is running again then in about 2 weeks we will have the "watch out for tradesmen they are out to rip us all off" stories will emerge again. As I own a 4WD and am a tradesman, I just ignore "Nay Nay" as I think she has personal issues about both. As for banning bullbars or older solid type four wheelers such as my 60 series i simply say that when all these do gooderers want to club together and form a buy back system similar to the gun issues of the nineties, Or substantially subsidize my purchase of a brand new "safer four wheel drive" say to only $500, I will listen. Untill then they can "bugger" off and stick to the black stuff where THEY belong.
AnswerID: 26014

Reply By: Glenno - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:32

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:32
Everyone should do themself a favour, and if bored at 6:30pm, tune over to the ABC and watch new dimensions with George Negus. Much better stories than the dribble from ACA / TT.
AnswerID: 26017

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 18:04

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 18:04
Couldnt agree more....

But for mainstream morons, they watch that crap and believe everythign they are told...

does us no favors at all..
FollowupID: 17671

Reply By: kezza - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:41

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:41
I vote we get some NATIONAL coverage to BAN - "IDIOTS", they cause all the problems and accidents. We screen them at birth, in school and when they apply for a drivers license. Just think if we can screen them we can stop them from buying 4wd vehicles (not to mention - push bikes, trucks, caravans, and toyota celicas commodores, fords, and mitsubishi's) Just think - thats the way to solve all the problems - dont ban the 4by just let people who know what they are doing own them.

This is the real issue and the sooner people realise this the better.

How many IDIOTs kill and maim themselves as well as others??

Its not the vehicle its the fool who cant concentrate, cant pick up the driving skills and discipline or who is too impatient or careless.

If Today Tonight cannot get down to the REAL issues that cause these problems then they can rightly be labelled a farce, - Driver training is a real issue.

Lets put the challenge to them to look at this issue.

Kezza
AnswerID: 26018

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:21

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:21
Simple solution, 4WD licence endorsement (similar to heavy vehicle, etc.,15-20 hrs instruction, $800-$1200) = less "Mums Taxi's" and less "Status Symbols" in suburbia (too much bother).

Overall the benefits would outweigh the cost. If we already own $50-80K worth of 4WD + equipment and take our driving seriously, $800-$1200 is a small amount to keep 4WDers names "clean".

End of problem.
FollowupID: 17693

Follow Up By: BOB - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 09:14

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 09:14
my handbrake would want me to sell my 4by, another $1000 on top of the $1000s already spent she wants a new sideboard
FollowupID: 17712

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:49

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 16:49
Im with Bob, Im not dishing out another $1000 for me and $1000 for her to drive, I'll just do what 100000's of otehrs do, drive without one then..

What about the bloke with 2 Teenage kids, who DO use dads 4wd, so thats $4000..

Bollocks to that.

Hope the Government isnt listening, they can see another junket or 20 on our $1000per head.
FollowupID: 17731

Follow Up By: kezza - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 00:54

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 00:54
Hey I dont suggest that we pay for this, I think the driving test should be harder or more comprehensive. - If they want to do something about the danger on the roads make sure the driver isnt an idiot - wether it be a 4by a car a bike truck or caravan.
Dont ask me how, My point is - Its not the Vehicle.

Kes
FollowupID: 17757

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:13

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:13
Hi ..
Just advising that TDT have *another* anti-4WD story on tonight (Monday) .. crash statistics. Stand by for another "guest appearance" of some non-descript expert, and possibly even Harold Scruby .. Pedestrian Council ... aarrgghh!! I wont watch it, but I saw the promo for it.
Jack
AnswerID: 26129

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 21:56

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 21:56
I think the saddest part of this is that you do not appear to be watching the wedding story on neighbours. Today Tonight is the same as John Laws / Alan Jones / Ray Martin - just over 60's garbage. bye
AnswerID: 26199

Reply By: cruiser - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:31
You know what irks me.

The TV channels will happily take money off Toyota, Nissan and anyone else who wants to advertise their 4WD product (and the ads themselves do little to promote responsible use of 4WD's) and then on the other hand allow current affair programs to show the "anti 4WD" point of view, without balancing it out by giving 4WDers a chance to defend ourselves.

Their practice is to obviously take the money and then knock the product and the people who the ads are aimed at in the first place.

Talk about 2 faced and hypocritical.

AnswerID: 26250

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 15:21

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 15:21
I dont see why car companies dont just withdraw ALL advertising on Tele, as everyone knows what cars are otu there, models etc, and if your that blind that you cant see teh 2904203984203984 car yards around to see, you shouldnt have a license.

Wonder what the legal angle could be calling my car a Wepon of Mass Destruction??
FollowupID: 17862

Sponsored Links