Holland Track(WA)

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 02:46
ThreadID: 6185 Views:2469 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any usefull info regarding travelling the Holland track.ie: opprox time to complete, fuel req(ULP). conditions.Etc.
Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: george_led - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 04:17

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 04:17
Don't want to spoil it for you - but it's a boring/uneventful ride. No challenge unless wet & muddy and then you would just be doing damage to the track and shouldn't be on it. When dry it's boring as hell, I drove it a couple of yrs ago and wont bother with it again. Much more interesting north of the Great Eastern Hwy. But, if you have to do it to say 'you've done it' - then just fill up at Hyden and you'll have heaps of fuel to get to Coolgardie. Most of the track is wide enough to sit on 40/60kph. We took it easy and did it in a day & a half. www.geocities.com/george_tlc/2001.html (2nd,3rd and 4th last pics) show a bit of the track/road. Put it this way, in the dry a toyota corolla could drive it easily.

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Places/Au/WA/HollandTrack.html shows some of the waypoints. Just do a search on google and you'll find out all you need.

cheers,
george.
AnswerID: 25969

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 20:35

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 20:35
Geez george, you obviously have no appreciation of wonderfully different native vegetation, the history of the track and the difference between a track and a road.

The most misleading statement you make is the one about a Corolla being able to do the track. The HT isn't about 4wd, when it's dry, it's about clearance. If you had been paying attention you would have seen that the centre mound in many areas would not accomodate anything less than a Subaru.

It would seem neither of you has read the treknote here on ExplorOz.

SKMost human problems can be solved by an appropriate charge of high
explosive."
FollowupID: 17688

Follow Up By: george_led - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 01:51

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 01:51
Well, I guess I have MORE of an appreciation for the stuff just north of the Great Eastern Hwy. Sure the HT has some history, most tracks/rds in oz do ;-) BUT, it is boring as heck and the rock outcrops are dismal and water holes etc few and bad inbetween. There's a good reason it was abandoned early on...

The only mounds we saw was the Gnow's nest - when we went through 2yrs ago a corolla could easily negotiate that track. There is little sand - soft tyres on a 2wd will pull it through those little spots. If a subura can clear it - then it's not a mound.

The HT was (2yrs ago) a great w/end warrior road - no risk of scratching your spanking new 4wd and a feeling you've driven a famous track.

We drove the HT back from Coolgardie since we figured what the heck, let's check it out - never again. For 'me and my mates' boring boring boring. Driving to Menzies via many of the roads/tracks north of Great Easter Hwy via Jackson, Diemals, Pigeon Rocks etc offers much nicer scenery and stuff to 'explore'.

Anyhow, my opinion... Be interesting to read what Scotti thinks when he drives it.

Oh, yeah, I can appreciate the difference between a road and a track. HT is a road (when dry). I guess my opinion is based on driving many similar roads in the goldfields when a kid in a Fiat!

cheers,
george.
FollowupID: 17702

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 21:33

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 21:33
The reason it was abandoned was because the railway line made it to Coolgardie from Perth. There was no need to trudge the 500-odd kms from Broomehill to Coolgardie.

To me a track is two parallel wheel ruts with a 'raised' and generally undisturbed piece of ground (a mound) in between. A road would be like the Victoria Rock Rd. That 'mound' has stumps and white-ant nests sticking up out of it. Wouldn't do the diff, etc much good on the Corolla:~0 I would have reservations about a Subaru as well but those guys are very adventurous, hence my remark (and not wanting to p*** them off :~))

Anyway, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

SKMost human problems can be solved by an appropriate charge of high
explosive."
FollowupID: 17749

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 20:59

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 20:59
Scotti,
I found a small book that was quite handy at ARB, I'm disappointed about the other report I was thinking of doing this trip myself more as a trial for a bigger trip, I was hoping the Holland Track would of been a bit more of a challenge than reported. I think I'll still do the trip and try and find some of the other points of interest along the track that are by all accounts a bit harder to get to, these are reported in this softback book I have.
AnswerID: 26039

Reply By: scott - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:05

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:05
Scotti
We did the Holland Track last easter from Broomehill to Coolgardie 3 familys and 6 kids and everone had a ball .
There is a book called Explore the Holland Track $11 full of information on the places to see along the Holland Track ,Holland Rock ,Sheoak Rock, cat camp ect,ect
with trip notes,distances and GPS readings.
We camped 3 nights along the track, fuel was no problem topped up at Newdegate.
Spring time would be a good time to tackle it.
In trek notes there is an excellent desciption on the Holland Track.
Wouldn;t hesitate to do it again.
AnswerID: 26051

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 21:49

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 21:49
Just go and enjoy the trip. Have a look around Hyden at some of the rocks (not just Wave Rk). Get the Holland Track book ($11 / 12) and it will give you plenty of info. It is not a difficult track to travel unless it has rained and then it is a lesson in how much mud and water you want to get stuck in. Keep off the track if it's wet and everyone will be happy. With the lack of rain 2001 and 2002 it was very dry and dusty. Hopefully this year will be a bit better. This is a good trip if you are new to the 4wd and camping scene as it is relatively easy and simple to complete. The long weekend in September seems to be the kicking off point for the season if it has been wet. Also there may be some wildflowers around. As for north of the Hwy - try the area around Lake Barlee - best part is there are no people (most probably stuffed it now though). If you need some company the Peel4x4 Club is taking a trip on the track in Sept. bye
AnswerID: 26196

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 20:12
Looks like it may be fairly busy out there in Sept as our club is also going to do part of this track among other things over the long weekend. For us this will be a chance for some of the inexperienced to have a go at getting out into the bush.
I do agree it is not much of a challenge but it should be interesting enough for anyone wanting to trace a bit of history.
Bush Bappo's 4WD Club
Get out there & have a look
AnswerID: 26281

Sponsored Links