TD warm down

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 07:55
ThreadID: 6187 Views:1656 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Very recently bought a GXL TD Prado. I see much mention of timers and their application to TD motors. There is no mention of warm down or timers in my handbook. It seems to behave just like a petrol motor and I'm wondering if it's because of being intercooled, or some other technical advances that I can just switch off without warming down??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Karl - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 09:42

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 09:42
Mick,

I think it is up to you wether you want a turbo timer or not. When I had my turbo fitted to my 80 Series in Feb 03, I was informed by the installer that they were not required. So I haven't fitted one; however, on saying that when I have been driving hard for awhile, ie on the highway, I do let my engine idle for a short time once I stop and then I usually pop the bonnet to let the heat out (I was taught to do this by Driving Instructors in the Army). I have not had any problems to date.
AnswerID: 25977

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:56

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 11:56
Apparently modern turbo cars don't need warming down, but personally, takes nothing for me to leave it idling for couple of minutes while I unload, or if I know I'm nearly home, take it easy for the last few klms. If my Turbo bleep itself, I couldnt afford the $1-2k to rebuild/replace regularly

All depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle...
AnswerID: 25991

Reply By: Prado Boy - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:07

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 12:07
G'day Mick,

Have had my TD Prado for almost 2 years now and never had any problems in 70000 Km's. Having said that though - ARB sell Turbo Timers for about $300 fitted - a worthwhile investment if you have the spare cash. But then so are a bunch of other things too. I figure that a turbo timer will be one of the first things I fit when the vehicle goes out of warranty sometime around May next year.

Another thing I do is keep detailed logbooks on the vehicle. This means that most times I stop I fill out the log book - takes 20-30 seconds, during which the engine can cool down a bit - before switching her off.

If you do get a turbo timer - try to get one with variable settings. Nothing as annoying as going to the diesel bowser to fill up and having to wait 3 minutes for the engine to turn off!

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 25994

Follow Up By: chopper - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 15:49

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 15:49
How often do trucks and empty buses shut off when filling up.

There is not the risk of ignition with diesel as there is with petrol. From all that i have read, and in dealings with the long haul guys, you can quite safely open the tank and fill it.

Many of the courier type 8t trucks only get turned off when they go in for a service, at the end of a shift, driver A gets out and Driver B gets in, engine still going.

I'm sure that someone here will have contrary evidence, and that's okay too!! I'm not a petrochemist nor do I study fire and ignition sources (is there a name for people who do!!!

Now, mobile phones at petrol pumps, there's a problem...

Chopper

PS When I've been going hard and slow, I'll usually set my timer to 3 or 5 minutes(if the guage is up), around town it's on 1 minute, and usually after a highway run, there's some town driving to cool it down enough for a one minute run. Generally if i need to stop on the side of the road for something I'll leave it running anyway.
FollowupID: 17658

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:24

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:24
8 yrs never worried bout shuttin down the engine in my trucks to fill up, but got yelled at more times than I remember for letting turbo cool down!
FollowupID: 17694

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 13:13

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 13:13
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll let it idle for a while after towing or high speed driving. Only concern is that a Pajero I had a while ago used to get hotter when idling after towing - it'd sometimes almost boil before I got my van off. One of the things I've liked about my two previous Prados (petrol) is that they NEVER overheat!
AnswerID: 25997

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:25

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 17:25
Mick,
It certainly mentions cool down periods in my handbook!
2000 /TD
Up to 2 min. if extended running on boost
Glenn
FollowupID: 17663

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:25

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:25
Your pajero had issues if it got hotter while idling...
FollowupID: 17695

Follow Up By: Mick - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:37

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:37
Allfour mine is a 2003 model but I'll check again and Truckster yes it may have but it did it from new and others had similar problems. It was a 1989 Superwagon 4cyl petrol
FollowupID: 17700

Reply By: Tony - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 18:12

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 18:12
Mick

I own a 2000 Prado TX and have had a turbo timer fitted as an extra precaution. I had mine supplied and fitted for $200 and feel it was the best investment I have made as I intend to keep the vehicle for at least 5 years. Sometimes as people say it is easy to sit and wait for it to idle but from experience when doing a long run in summer and your dying to stop for a toilet break it is much easier to have the timer set get out and do your business then keep holding. Also I believe it is just as valuable idling down after driving around town as it is on the highway as the stop start is causing the turbo to boost up and down which builds as much heat in the turbo as prolonged driving at highway speeds. Most timers allow for a 1 minute idle which is more than sufficent in most circumstances and you can always just turn them off if you have only driven 5 minutes down the road instead of leaving the car idling. That is my 2 cents worth on the topic so good luck in what ever you decide and happy driving as I know I love driving my TD prado.

Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 26024

Reply By: yarda - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 20:31

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 20:31
G'day Mick, one of the major reasons for turbo failure, apart from overboosting and overspeeding the core is bearing failure from 'coking' of the oil. Essentially when the motor has been worked hard on boost for extended periods of time, the temperatures in the exhaust housing scroll and turbine wheel reach extreme levels. If the engine is switched off before this heat can dissapate into the exhaust gases and ambient air in the enging bay, the engine oil that remains in the turbo core is cooked into a carbon crystal state, which blocks the oil passages and causes catastropic damage to the bearings. If you can, take a look at some pictures or the real thing of a turbo engine getting dyno tuned and tested, it is not uncommon for the exhaust manifold, turbine housing and dump pipe to glow cherry red or even orange due to the lack of dynamic airflow past the engine.
It is a great idea to open the bonnet after running hard on a hot day, and turbo timers are a great device well worth their money. Some of the top shelf alarms and immobilisers even have them as an option. Common sense is always good insurance against failures. Hope this enlightens you some what and helps you enjoy your ride. Brad
AnswerID: 26038

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:28

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 21:28
Mick,
Just tell your insurance company about fitting a timer if you are going to some of them can be a bit funny about it. Leaving the engine running when you are not in the vehicle etc etc. Worth a check.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 26042

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:48

Saturday, Jul 26, 2003 at 22:48
Thanks all and i get the picture - will check the handbook again but even if there's no mention I'll still let it cool down or "equalise" before shutting down.
AnswerID: 26055

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:11

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 10:11
Hi Mick,

I don't have a turbo timer, but always let it idle for a couple of minutes when country driving (as it says in 90 series handbook). I get a little worried about extra electronic stuff, so haven't bothered with a timer.

A very experienced truck/4wd mechanic told me its bad for any motor, petrol or diesel to shut down immediately after hard driving - something to do with the end piston getting too hot and expanding - sorry, can't remember the finer details.

Phil G
2002 Prado TD
AnswerID: 26073

Reply By: Bat - Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 17:53

Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 17:53
Finemores transport 100s of trucks done a survey a few years ago and the result was no difference could be found, if they idle down or not.
AnswerID: 26103

Follow Up By: muzza - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 18:00

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 18:00
Lewingtons did the same, think you'll find they had a greater number of turbo failures as a result of trying to save a bit of fuel. ( So it goes from an ex Lewingtons fella)
FollowupID: 17799

Sponsored Links