Our trip from <span class="highlight">Noccundra</span> Hotel to the Strzelecki Track.

Submitted: Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:34
ThreadID: 62114 Views:3311 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back home after 3 weeks journeying from Brisbane to Adelaide and back. This time we went via Noccundra and Cameron Corner to the Strzelecki Track. I aired down a bit at Noccundra because we expected the leg from Noccundra to the Corner to be difficult towing the caravan. The track was pretty good and we were able to motor along at about 50 kph and never needed 4WD. The other side of the Corner to Merty Merty is like a roller coaster with a lot of short sharp sand hills to cross. Most are clay topped and aren’t a problem but some of the crests have broken through the top and have large holes full of soft sand. Most of these have a red flag in them as a warning. Before we came to the damaged sections I heard on the CB a guy saying how there were soft areas and to keep to the right of the flag. As he was very clear, I asked where he was. By the time we had worked out he was coming towards us we met on the crest of a hill and yes he was to the right – on our side of the track. I then asked how many were in his convoy and he said 4. Two others safely passed while he was telling them there was one oncoming. The last vehicle then came over another blind hill on the wrong side and a female voice complained on the CB that the leader had not told her about oncoming cars, to which I replied that they should expect an oncoming vehicle over every blind hill and drive accordingly. The rest of the trip was uneventful except for me bogging the whole rig in a creekbed in the Flinders while looking for somewhere to camp, which took us an hour to unbog. The only damage on the whole trip was inside the caravan where a curtain pelmet came unscrewed from the wall.
Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Miss(an)Jo - Toad Keeper (Bris - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:43

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:43
Hey Mike I wondered where you'd been!
Sounds like an eventful trip, a good time had by all hey?
AnswerID: 327637

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:13

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:13
Hi Jo,
yes, it is teriffic when all the planning works out and the trip is a success. Now I should be working and not catching up on three weeks of the Forum. LOL.
Mike.
FollowupID: 594947

Follow Up By: Miss(an)Jo - Toad Keeper (Bris - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 23:54

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 23:54
We'll have to do something soon for us, with spouses to meet up considering we live near each other!
FollowupID: 595045

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:45

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:45
Hi Mike

Did you manage to catch up with Milty?

Cheers
AnswerID: 327638

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:11

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:11
Hi Willem,
Yes we stayed the night in his driveway (in the caravan), just behind THE bank in Snowtown. Helped him move in some of his heavier stuff and enjoyed a meal together at the local pub.
Mike.
FollowupID: 594946

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 23:25

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 23:25
Hmmmmm, My neighbouring town, anything you guys arent telling me?
Snowtown bank, where the charges will cost you an arm and a leg!
The pub across the road gets its full bodied wine in barrels from the snowtown bank!
A visit to the snowtown bank can be a barrel of fun!

Cheers Pesty
FollowupID: 595041

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:36

Monday, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:36
Sounds like a great trip.....love that part of the world.

One of my concerns about radio communication in the outback, and in the circumstances you describe, is that far too many people are using them as a substitution for looking out the windscreen!!

I'm with you..always expect another vehicle at the crest of all hills.

Good luck....
AnswerID: 327644

Sponsored Links