Bush Mechanics

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 27, 2003 at 20:54
ThreadID: 6212 Views:1837 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
T'was around Easter '92 and we were on a ten day adventure into the upper reaches of the Fitzmaurice River NT. Our trek took us offroad for about 50km, driving blind through the wet season long grass. The first day we sank in to a swamp and had to winch out of that predicament. Then I got snagged on a piece ofr old fence that was hidden in the grass. By the time we had cut hat away from under the 4by it was time to camp.
The following morning I pointed to the hills and said to my mates and their families, "We have to drive over that fellas, if we want to keep our wheels dry". We were looking for an old mustering track which was marked on the map as 'approximate position'. This day we drove 14km by speedo but only gained 5km as the flow cries(a straight line). It was hard going with numerous small creeks and gullies to cross and two hilly ranges to scramble up and over. Just on late afternoon I noticed that my power steering was becoming very heavy. On inspection I found that the steering draglink(tie rod link) on the FJ 55 was bent up into the sump and the two front wheels were trying to kiss one another. So while the rest of the gang set up camp my mates and I set about the repair the damage. First, using two Tojo jacks we jacked the vehicle up so that both the wheels were just off the ground. Then using a snatchblock on the bullbar of the mates Troopie I winched the draglink forward bit by bit until it looked straight. Then we used a tape measure to measure the same distance from the centre of the bull bar for each wheel. Satisfied that it was straight enough we celebrated with a few beers. When I got home after the trip I took the draglink off only to find that it was hollow inside. I was then able to find a reinforced steel rod that fitted into the space. The draglink never bent again!!!!! On this adventure we crossed 90 creeks and gullies and had 9 major winching jobs to get the vrehicles through obstacles. You can read the trip report on my website www.kempen.id.au go to 4x4 and click on Back Up! On Palm Creek.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:31

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 14:31
Hi Willem,
I enjoy your articles, like the one above, you are an assett to this forum.
Also had a look at your website, it is a credit to you.
You must have spend many hours/days/years in researching the information.
I find your articles most interesting and will spend some time reading all of them.
Your Genealogy articles and details are brilliant, I am intereted in your history and will read all of them.
I also have a 'loose' connection to your back ground, from Holland

Cheers
GeorgeJust made it, King Edward River
AnswerID: 26163

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 19:07

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 19:07
Hi George,
Thanks for those kind words. It represents a lifetime(or so it seems) of doing things. I am working on other articles about when I was a child and the mischief we got up to, but when I will ever finish them I do not know.
If you wish to contact me, especially with reference to the genealogy or anything else for that matter, please feel free to do so via my website.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 17804

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 19:47

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 19:47
Yer I agree Willem, Keep em coming, I read every one with interestSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 26279

Sponsored Links