warranty on batteries

Submitted: Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 22:21
ThreadID: 6232 Views:1552 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi .I have just had a faulty battery replaced under manufacturers warranty, it was a 24 month guarantee Yuasa Overlander 700 and had one cell that let go.The agent that replaced the battery however has date stamped the new one july 02 and says that i am only entitled to the remaining warranty of the old battery. Would not a new battery off the shelf start life with 24 months warranty as printed on the side of it? What do you think ? Am I entitled to two years warranty on the replacement battery ?
Regards Ken.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 22:35

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 22:35
Thats not unusual for something to only carry over the warranty of the item its replacing. I had the same with an Overlander 700...

Sign of the times really.. :(
AnswerID: 26205

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 23:52

Monday, Jul 28, 2003 at 23:52
Ring your local state consumers affairs mob and ask them

I recon that sucks.
AnswerID: 26214

Reply By: crowe - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:53
one of the main reason i bought overlanders is for that warranty and a new warranty of 2 years for a new battery should the old one fail. This may be a recent change of stance as i had a mate who has batteries die before 2 yrs and given a whole new warranty, one of the reasons i chose this battery.

If this is not the case i will be dissapointed, i planned to get the old batteries load checked before two years were up and if not to scratch ask for replacements which i would expect would have another two year waranty, maybe my thinking they would replace for whole warranty period was too good to be true.

I would be interested to find out any more info if you look into it further

regards, crowe
AnswerID: 26227

Follow Up By: crowe - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 13:49

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 13:49
ken, your last name wouldnt be "lander" would it?
FollowupID: 17941

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 15:30

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 15:30
Hi crowe, no its not 'lander' I would rather remain anon for now.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 17956

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:04

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 09:04
To the best of my knowlege all motor parts have this type of limited warranty, and has been in effect for years. Maybe the fine print of the warranty will state what you are entilted to. Any way I would complain like hell, tell them of the inconvience you hve had to put up with etc,etc. and they may relent and extend the warranty to two years. Good luck, keep us posted on how you get on. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 26229

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:01
I think that you have been robbed. A warranty means what it says. The product is guaranteed against defect for a period of time. When you make a claim and it is accepted then the supplier must make good by replacing the item with a new one which has a NEW warranty with it. Say you did not make a claim and went and bought a new one from the same sales outlet. Your new warranty period will be in force. That product is once again guaranteed against defect and should bear the full warranty. If a warranty claim is accepted then the manufacturer has to accept the loss. My Yuasa 700 is 4 years old and going strong.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 26238

Reply By: The Moose - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 13:14

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 13:14
Always pays to check what type of warranty is actually offered before you buy. I recently bought batteries and found out that there were two types of warranties - the one where the replacement unit only gets the unused warranty applied to it and the proper one where they'll give you a new battery with a full warranty. You can complain all you like but I doubt you'll get any satisfaction from the supplier.
AnswerID: 26244

Reply By: Billowaggi - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:04
Hi everyone, thank you for your replys. I have contacted Century-Yuasa direct and the local consumer affairs dept and both say that pro rata warranty is correct in this case. I am now a lot wiser and not a little dsapointed, particularly as the Overlander is one of the most expensive of this type of battery.In the past i have had no problem complete replacement of cheaper and less known brands. Probably will buy Delco or Bosch next time!
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 26245

Reply By: EvIlBoYsPaWnEd - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:05

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 14:05
When you brought this battery, you must of been happy with the knowledge that after two years this battery might expire. So I can't see why you should get a further warranty, you paid for a two year guaranty on a battery and got a two year guaranty, why should you get more than what you paid for ? I'm not sticking up for the dealer, that's just the way I see it !
AnswerID: 26246

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 22:09
Since when did you have to pay for a warranty? I payed extra for the Overlander to get a quality product and trouble free service, to date I have had niether, this battery failed during our trip in the Kimberleys and cost us heaps of trouble,the local agent initally told us the battery was O.K. Involving me in three 114km round trips to finally get the thing declared u./s and replaced. Does this payment for warranty apply to all products ,eg. vehicles? I am in the automotive industry , If something I repair goes wrong and its my fault it gets fixed, no charge, no cost,no time limit. Perhaps in future the harder or more complicated the repair job I have to do the more I should charge per hour just to cover increase risk of comebacks! Would that be acceptable practice?I think not!
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 17897

Follow Up By: EvIlBoYsPaWnEd - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 18:14
I'm sorry your battery rooted you around, but you paid for a battery with a two year warranty and that's all you're initial to believe it or not ! unless you paid for an extended warranty. ( a part of the purchase price is to cover their sorry butts if they crap product failures, which is called a warranty ) Going off at me won't change things, they sold you a lemon, things like that happen to people all the time, learn from it. I didn't mean to disrespect you or make fun of you. I just told you the way I believe it to be, if that upset you, well you'll have to wear that too.
FollowupID: 17975

Follow Up By: EvIlBoYsPaWnEd - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 19:08

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 19:08
I also believe you may have a civil claim against the battery manufacture for any cost incurred because of the failure, but this might cost you more than a car or a house if you lose the case. Mate what can I say ? some things just suck !
FollowupID: 17979

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:57

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:57
Sorry mate my mistake ,outburst was not aimed at you, should have been a reply not a follow up.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 18033

Follow Up By: EvIlBoYsPaWnEd - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 20:37

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 20:37
No worries mate, don't blame you for beingbleep. If that's the worse thing to happens to you this year it will be a good year !
FollowupID: 18085

Reply By: al - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003 at 22:07
There is a battery conditioner made by Inox who will double the original battery warrenty if you add it when you buy a new battery( no particular brand either)
I've put some in mine but its less than 18 months old and is still in great condition. So I've still got 2.5 years warrenty left. Apparently they have had practically no claims on it so far.
AnswerID: 26296

Reply By: howesy - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:37

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:37
I haven't read the replies after reading your post because as soon as I read what battery it was I saw red. I was using their batteries for some years and have given them the heave ho because i was continually getting poor service lifes out of them. It seems that if they were put under extreme load situations or were allowed to go flat just once then that was it and the battery was never the same. Even as normal i only ever got at best just outside the warranty period before the suckers died. I will never buy their brand again and I had them in all three vehicles. I just turfed the last one a couple of weeks ago, again just out of warranty. I am running an exide premium in the car at the moment. It has just as high rating and at $40 less and 2yrs warranty i figure I cant do any worse.
AnswerID: 26329

Reply By: Member - Michael - Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 22:50

Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 at 22:50
Two years is good warranty on a battery.It is not an endless cycle.When will it all end i am entiteled to a warranty for the rest of my life if the battery fails every two years.I will just keep getting a new one. Getting sick of seeing posts like this. Gotta get out there. Debbie and Mike
AnswerID: 26406

Sponsored Links