Solar set-up questions

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 22:09
ThreadID: 62614 Views:4011 Replies:9 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
I searched for this before but details weren’t too convincing either way. I'm wanting to know how polycrystalline solar panels go mounted on roof of 4wd. Intended just to support them in a channel on each side of panel, between 2 roof rack bars. Can these panels take the corrugations?

Other question I have is about wiring. I have a 12pin trailer plug. Can wire between panels on top of 4wd go through 12pin plug to regulator in camper?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 22:24

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 22:24
What stage were you wanting to use the panels for charging? Are they going to be used as you are travelling? I would only use then to charge while we are stopped and not using the alternator of the car.

I have a pair of polycrystalline totalling 160 Watts but with the glass on them I would be a bit cautious having them up top while driving. They are pretty good in partial shade conditions and at an angle. I have them hinged and they face one another protecting the glass face.

AnswerID: 330243

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:17

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:17
John, I haven't thought too much about it yet, but I was thinking the alternator would do the job when travelling so therefore I could do the same as you and use a hinge. cheers JD
FollowupID: 597818

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:26

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:26
Meant to ask John, what do you do regarding wire connection given you are not using panels when travelling?
FollowupID: 597822

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:55

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:55
JD, I actually sliced a bit off the rear of the first panel to make the profile thinner, then overlapped the aluminium to restrengthen it and screwed through the thicknesses with stainless screws. The second panel I bought more recently is very close to the same profile too. I just ued a little stainless with the crews at each end to hinge to a flat pack.

Threough the side of each I cut a hole with a hole saw to pass the cable which I had then sheaved twice with heat shrink for more protection. I keep the two panels connected but have another Anderson plug pair and a 5-6 metre extension lead. The lead protrudes slightly at one side but passes through the holes easily.

I am intending to have a wide flat U shape hinged off my cargo barrier to take the frame of the panel inside the rear of the LC. I had a protective cover over the panel but that may be more trouble than it is worth. I want to clamp it in the slide at the top so it can act as a shelf for soft things.

The panels came from Derek at ABR as did the 20 amp regulator
FollowupID: 597829

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 23:11

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 23:11
Years ago, my original install had poly foam packing under the glass, but I discovered it wasn't an issue. Have had unsupported glass panels on the top of the Patrol for the last 8 years, with the glass at a small angle when travelling, and have never had a problem, either from corrugation vibration or a rock hitting the surface.
Gerry
AnswerID: 330255

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:28

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:28
thanks Gerry, that's what I want to hear.
FollowupID: 597823

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:22

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:22
Make sure you mount the solar regulator close to your battery, pref with its own connection to the battery, not the load wiring. This means it will also correct for any voltage drop from the panel. (still no excuse for skimping on reasonably heavy wire from the panel).
Gerry
FollowupID: 597855

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 23:15

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 23:15
Hi jdwynn,
I have 3 panels mounted on the roof of my troopy that have been there for quite a few years & travelled some of the rioughest roadsl over Australia & never had a problem (touch wood!!) with corrugations. They are made pretty tough.
I recommend you use at least 6mm wiring (25amp rating) to connect the panels to eliminate voltage drop. I have them connected to my batteries 24/7 & don't have any charging problems.
Check my web page for the setup. Cheers.
AnswerID: 330259

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:29

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:29
thanks Topcat
FollowupID: 597824

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 23:20

Thursday, Oct 16, 2008 at 23:20
Amorphous Panels (Uni Solar) are far more robust, give better output in partial shade and don't lose 20% efficiency when the temp gets over 25C

BUT

They are a bloody lot bigger for a given output.

It's all a balancing act.

Jim.

AnswerID: 330260

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:33

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:33
thanks Jim, as much due to cost as room I've given away the idea of Unisolar. Time will tell hey!! cheers JD
FollowupID: 597825

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:06

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:06
JD and Jim, we were travelling with a friend with Unisolar panels and when we have his out against my one we were watching the output of his two 65 Watt panels aganinst our one 80 Watt. The output wasn't that much different and his panels were similar size dimensions, length by width. I am not convinced that amorphous and polychristalline are much different in shade or under cloud.

Now I have doubled them. He said the other day, he would go the same way as I have. I didn't expect to hear that

Jim, I like the idea of the polycarbonate though. The first one dropped on it's face more than once :-((
FollowupID: 597831

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:20

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:20
John,

Our friends that we camp with at least 6 times a year have the same fridge/battery setup as us.

We both have Waeco 80, 100 amp Remco AGM.

Jason has has a 2 x 40 watt Bi Fold and we have 1 x 64 watt US.

We run 12 volt lighting, he runs Coleman Petrol Lamp.

He has had a fridge bag, we hadn't (until recently).

We both love checking voltages on a regular basis.

Prior to the fridge bag on mine, he constantly did a little better. Now that I have fitted a fridge bag, they are as close to identical as can be. This tends to verify to me that the advice I was given, that a 64 watt amorphous will give similar outout to an 80 watt Mono/Poly, is correct.

Still, it's a bloody big thing and his bi fold can be packed just about anywhere. What I do love about the Amorphous is its durability and the fact that if it gets damaged, repairing it is as simple as filling the hole with silicone.

So, in summary, like most things in life, it is a compromise.

Cheers,

Jim.

FollowupID: 597847

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:53

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 09:53
I got the mono and poly mixed above Jim. Ours Mono which is suposed to better than poly with partial shade.

I found when I changed the input on ours in the last few days, we got far better charge. I now have the input through the car input route and it is also monitored by the Karavan's monitoring system. Providing I can get some sun during the day I have no touble lifting to 100% charge again. I was before - don't know what was awry.
FollowupID: 597852

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 15:12

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 15:12
Jim

I had another look at Unisolar. Prices not as bad as I thought.

So have some xtra questions. A negative thing I'd seen about these is that dust tends to stick to them. Any thoughts? If that's true does that restrict sun?

Also, how do they produce 20% more amperage - reaction to heat perhaps?

cheers JD

FollowupID: 597882

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 15:38

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 15:38
Dust: I just give mine a brush/wipe down with a wet rag every few days.

Regarding efficiency. Firstly "solar" is a misnomer. They are actually "light energy" panels. Heat above 25C reduces the efficiency of a mono or poly panel by about 20%; most have this clearly stated on them (I have read it on the back of a Kyocera Panel).

Hence an 80 watt mono/poly will only produce about 64 watts on a relatively warm day.

Heat will not affect an Amorphous.

Also be aware that Amorphous panels actually over supply by 15% for the first few hundred hours of use until they settle back to their actual rating. You will notice the drop off.

Keep in mind if you are running a large fridge, you may need to add another panel at some stage and lugging around two of these big buggers takes up space. I use a gennie as top up, or you can run the car.

If you want to chat, call me on 03 9706 6527.

I don't sell them.

Hope this helps,

Jim.

FollowupID: 597884

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ (wa) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:33

Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:33
JohnR (Vic) posted:
"I got the *mono* and *poly* mixed above Jim. Ours Mono which is suposed to better than poly with partial shade"

John, the term POLY, is 'advertising blurb, it's commonly used in Europe to describe multi-crystalline silicon panels.

The 3 (main) types of Solar panel technologies are, Multi-crystalline silicon, Mono-crystalline silicon and as Jim uses Amorphous panels.

Some larger Solar panel manufacturers make ALL three types of panels (4 if you believe Poly-crystalline is also a type) and some only make one type of Solar panel.

As to what technology is superior in shaded areas depends on too many variables and technologies used in the panel construction, some 'high end' Multi-crystalline panels are very superior to Mono.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 602730

Reply By: chocolate teapot - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 06:33

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 06:33
Hi Jdwynn

I have had 2x80 watt BP panels (24 volts) on the roof of my truck for years and they are permanently connected through a regulator and the latest redac two way smart start relay - to charge both house and cranking batteries. The panels are mounted on shs aluminium with al angle bracket & set screws and the shs is screwed to roof. No problems with the panels - they are tough as.

There is absolutely no reason not to have them connected 24/7 they coexist with the alternator happily - caution abt their coexistence is a myth - commonly believed and well meaningly broadcast - but a myth nonetheless.

You can do anything with the wiring to your camper provided it works - I suspect that your 12 pin plug will not be likely to accept cable of sufficient gauge to overcome voltage drop over the distance - you will have to suck it and see.

Hope this helps

AnswerID: 330278

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:25

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 07:25
CT, I'd read about that myth so what you've said is very interesting. cheers JD
FollowupID: 597821

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:12

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:12
CT, I have the lead to the regulator close to the batteries and the extension lead at the higher unregulated voltage to overcome the potential voltage drop. It can be more secure where I have put it too!

It can also provide me with an extension lead with Anderson plugs to charge other things too ;-))
FollowupID: 597837

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:12

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 08:12
Best to use a good 3 stage solar controller and a RedArc for the alernator.
The panels are VERY tough.
www.tinyurl.com/35ra68

Cheers,
Peter
FollowupID: 597838

Reply By: hazo - Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 13:38

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 13:38
It is a well known fact that an alternator charging the vehicle main battery, will never achieve a full charge on a secondary battery, even after driving all day, it will only achieve approx. 70%. due to the alternator output dropping as the main cranking battery comes back up to full charge, therefore limiting the output.
On the other hand a well set up solar system with correct wiring sizes and a good quality regulator will charge whenever there is sunlight on the pane(s).
Slightly different situation but my caravan has 300w of panels and the two 120A/H Trojan D/cycles are normally fully charged by 10.00am after being used the previous evening for my lighting,inverter (sat tv, and lcd tv.) and my waeco 190 ltr fridge freezer.
As said previously a good solar system should be on 24/7 and will have no problems with any other charging systems, eg. 3-stage smart chargers or alternator.
I suggest using an Anderson type plug for connection between vehicle and camper and again place the regulator as close to the battery as possible to alleviate as little voltage drop as possible.
AnswerID: 330333

Reply By:- Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 17:39

Friday, Oct 17, 2008 at 17:39
Try,

Dynamic Solar Solutions

Jamie runs a panel permanently on the roof of his Landy

Rolande
AnswerID: 330371

Reply By: Maîneÿ (wa) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:01

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:01
Solar power threads definitely get some contradictory advice :-))

Jim you say:
"This tends to verify to me that the advice I was given, that a 64 watt amorphous will give similar outout to an 80 watt Mono/Poly, is correct"

Some relevant factual information:

# Uni-Solar 64 Watt ‘Amorphous’ Solar panel

Rated Power is 64 Watts
Maximum Power CURRENT is 3.9 Amps
Maximum Power VOLTAGE is 16.5 Volts

This equates to ~3.9 AMPS per square Mtr

# Kyocera 65Watt ‘Multi-crystalline’ Solar panel

Rated Power is 65 Watts
Maximum Power CURRENT is 3.7 Amps
Maximum Power VOLTAGE is 17.4 Volts

This equates to ~7.9 AMPS per square Mtr

The above numbers are relevant to Solar panel EFFICIENCY
Why would anyone want an deficient Solar system ??

~3.9 Amps verses ~7.9 Amps for panels if they were the same physical size, it can be seen the Kyocera panel is ~DOUBLE the Amps of the Uni-Solar panel.

The Power of a panel RATED @ 64 Watts is definately LESS than a panel RATED @ 80 Watts !!

It's a bit like suggesting a 64 HP engine "will give similar output" to a 80 HP engine, that's something most will understand is not correct.

Jim you posted:
“What I do love about the Amorphous is its durability and the fact that if it gets damaged, re pairing it is as simple as filling the hole with silicone”

Jim, can you please explain how an electrical circuit can be “repaired” using “silicone” ? ?

I was taught and I still believe, it’s absolutely impossible for electricity to travel through Silicon, that’s the reason it is used as a ‘barrier’ or as 'insulation' on some electrical connections, so it actually stops people being electrocuted!!

Jim, I'm not 'picking' on you, your post was so easy to 'explain' :-))

Image Could Not Be Found Mainey . . .

AnswerID: 334605

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:05

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:05
Printed clearly on the back of Kyocera: These panels lose 20% of their output above 25C. 80 watts less 20% = 64watts.

An amorphous panel is made up of about 24 cells. If one gets damaged, it ceases to operate but the other 23 still do (the silicone is only to reseal it). If you damage one cell on a mono/poly the entire panel ceases to operate as I understand it.

And I did say they are BIGGER for a given output.

And I have compared the two in the real world under identical conditions. Not theoretical supposition, real life results.

Jim.

FollowupID: 602414

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ (wa) - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 19:21

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 19:21
Jim,
what model and type of Kyocera panel did you look at that stated on it's technical information sticker it will "loose 20% of their output above 25c" ?

Re the “What I love about the Amorphous is the fact that if it gets damaged, re pairing it is as simple as filling the hole with silicone”
Yes, but as you say, you are only filling a hole with silicone, it is definitely not going to make the panel work as it was before the hole was put there, because silicone is NOT an electrical conductor but an insulator, as a matter of fact if the hole was not filled there would be absolutely no difference to the way the panel worked at all, it would still work anyway just as you have said.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 602501

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 21:27

Tuesday, Nov 11, 2008 at 21:27
Fair Dinkhum Mainey, why do you always want to make a National Wage Case out of bloody solar panels?

I wouldn't have a clue what model it was. I can tell you this, it was a Kyocera Panel on display at Award Caravan Accessories in Ferntree Gully. I squatted down behind it to read the infornation printed on it. It was 4 years ago.

There is a Police Station in FTG, call them, get the CIB to investigate and have me charged with perjury if necessary.

Get this, I only call it as I see it. I pass on information as I see fit and try to share.

I don't sell Solar Panels, I don't have a vested interest, I couldn't care less who buys what brand, IT DOESN'T MATTER TO ME.

Any wonder Collyn Rivers left this site.

FollowupID: 602530

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ (wa) - Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 at 00:41

Thursday, Nov 13, 2008 at 00:41
Jim,
Just to clarify what you have posted.
"These panels lose 20% of their output above 25C. 80 watts less 20% = 64watts"

Your post implies at 26°C the panel will loose 20% of its capacity, reducing output to 64 watts.

What in fact happens is the panel will loose output *only* above 25°C and on a *sliding scale*, at 28°C the loss is negligible however as the temperature of the actual panel surface raises so does the loss, to a maximum of approximately 20% of it's rated maximum power.

Some panels will loose output at different rates simply because they are technically different, but your not talking about present day panels because the panel you looked at was using 4 years old technology anyway.

If you look at the Solar regulator LCD display pictures of my solar system on "my profile" you can very clearly see it's capacity is in excess of 12 Amps, however only a few Amps is required to power the AGM battery system, it does not need it's full capacity because the battery is fully charged early in the morning and it remains fully charged all day, every day.
Pictures do not lie, they are there as a source of relevant information and knowledge to those seeking same.

(I sell Solar systems and have a vested interest and yes it does matter to me)
Yes, Collyn did leave, but as you do know, it had nothing at all to do with me, so why mention it ??

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 602711

Reply By: Maîneÿ (wa) - Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 09:06

Saturday, Nov 15, 2008 at 09:06
Maybe the Silicon 'repair' does not work :))

Uni-Solar 64 Watt Solar panels are now discontinued by the manufacturer

Uni-Solar 64 Watt - This product has now been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 335333

Sponsored Links