The end of business with <span class="highlight">Globalstar</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 16:09
ThreadID: 62748 Views:2293 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Well after persevering with our Globalstar/Pivotel sat phone for a couple of years with promises of better results to come hubby finally told them where to go and cancelled our account with them. We tried them for a free phone, (after all, our phone is OK it is their service that has been up the creek all the this time) but with no luck for us, no way, $1600 for a new Iridium or leave it was the reply, so after a few choice words from hubby he said leave and with that the account was closed. Really they should be supplying everyone with a handset that works with their service not expecting everyone to buy new handsets to meet there service.

So where to from here, what Pivotel don't know is that we know more people who are interested in Sat phones than they think we do and already (2 days) there will be one couple who will NOT be buying a sat phone through them as they have been waiting on our advise, (we will be seeing them tonight), hehehe that's makes me feel better, and they won't be the only ones, we will be steering everyone away from Pivotel. (Geez I'm mad!!!)

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 16:11

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 16:11
I'll make you feel better, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 331049

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 16:16

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 16:16
Thanks for that "Sir Kev", I am having a great day and will be letting fly about Globalstar tonight at dinner.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 598797

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 17:44

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 17:44
Leave some for me because I'll be ringing them as well. Did anyone send a letter to the telecommunications ombudsman and complain? If so what was the result.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 331068

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 18:12

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 18:12
Hi Mick O, I rang Pivotel and they advised that they couldn't put me through to top offices and that we had to send a letter. fax or email, we chose to send an email, reasonably worded (strong but not abusive) 2-3 weeks later we received a phone call which hubby took, he had quite a conversation pointing out some facts but at the end of the day he said the girl couldn't have cared less, so we figure that the bad publicity we intend to dish out is going to hurt them more than us getting our blood pressure up trying to get an Iridium phone from them. I don't think of it as a "free" phone because we had to pay for the one we have in the first place and that would still be working well if it had the service (which we have been paying for) to work with.

No we haven't taken it any further and don't intend to, not sure where we will be headed after this but from now we have no sat phone coverage.

Good luck trying to get satisfaction from Pivotel, I think the answer is to keep trying and run with the threat of going to Consumer Affairs or somewhere like that.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 598829

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 18:50

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2008 at 18:50
Hey Dunworkin.

Check out this thread, I posted a while ago as I ended up with a new Iridium phone FOC.

Thread 60566

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 331079

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:48

Thursday, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:48
Thanks for that Steve, I think by the time we are finished they will have lost a lot more than the cost of a replacement phone for us anyway.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 599125

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:23

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2008 at 09:23
While up around Karajini a few weeks back, ran into some tourists with Satphone in hand...... they had been using it for some years.....seeing I'm into 'outback' comms (HF) I asked how the phone was going for them -"near on bl*&^%dy useless"!! .......Globalstar was their service provider too.
AnswerID: 331172

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:46

Thursday, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:46
Yep know that feeling,

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 599124

Reply By: Geoff M (QLD) - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:23

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:23
Just got back from a trip on Cape York. Neighbour gave me his SAT phone to try out for him as they (Globalstar) assured him that all was well now.

Tried to use it a total of 43 different times ..... got service 4 times!

Once for 1 min 23 sec
Once for 58 sec
Once for 22 sec
Once for 7 sec

And you've got to love the message that comes on during warm up .......................

"SAFETY: Your most important call."

I can't understand why they're allowed to do business in Australia.

Geoff
AnswerID: 331191

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:50

Thursday, Oct 23, 2008 at 02:50
The exact problems that we have been having for the past couple of years. At times when we did get a service it wasn't long enough to even finish dialing the required number.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 599126

Sponsored Links