Brawn winch hiccup

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 20:41
ThreadID: 6282 Views:1694 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Had to use my Brawn 9500lb winch a couple of days ago. When I went to spool the cable out to wind it back on in a more orderly fashion, the clutch would not disengage for free spooling. It worked when operated with the switch.

So I got on the blower and rang Brawn in Melbourne. The voice on the other side told me that that it probably was a vacuum lock due to the grease moving around inside( or something like that ) and that the winch was propably not used for a while( he was right, there ).

He advised me to wind the winch in and out for one revolution of the drum a number of times whilst trying to disengage the clutch with my other hand. It worked and the clutch is freespooling again.

So, there is a solution to everything.

Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joshua- Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:11

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:11
Gday Willem, I had a similar problem with a warn winch.
I bought a 2001 Patrol about 6 weeks ago and was playing around with the winch for the first time a couple of weeks ago... The clutch wouldnt go onto free spool, so I had to do it with the remote control, the same as you did...
Once i had it out, i tried forcing the lever down onto free spool, and with a bit of effort it went. Now it moves backwards and forwards with no problems at all... Just needed to be moved I guess... Its all working fine now...
Regards,
Josh
AnswerID: 26457

Reply By: Slammin - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:25

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:25
Nice picky Willem
Is it around Esperance?
AnswerID: 26459

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:11

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:11
Hi Slammin,

Pic was taken at Little Dip Conservation Park, east of Robe,SA. There is a nice beach run which is very popular at school holiday times. We chose to go in between times and had the beach to ourselves. Some areas of the beach has very soft sand.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 18102

Sponsored Links