2000 3lt patrol

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 21:37
ThreadID: 6284 Views:1949 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
gday agine i was just reading some stuff on other sites and im finding alot of people talking about problems with the early zd30 motor just wondering if some one could tell me when my pride and joy is going to blow up. ThanksMore drive'n less talk'n
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil P - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:25

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:25
Don't let the bad experience of a very small minority of Patrol Owners ruin your experience with your Patrol.

Just about every car manufacturer has had a few issues, remember the Ford Capri, Holden Camira, Toyota 80 Series, Mercedes A Class, Mitsubishi Magna, Ford Explorer etc etc etc etc.....
AnswerID: 26466

Follow Up By: Bob - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:34

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:34
What a line up of lemons Phil! Fortunately it's only a very small part of the available vehicles and nowhere near "just about every manufacturer". Must say though that some develop a poor reputation and Land Rover and Nissan are certainly top of the list for 4wds!!
FollowupID: 18100

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:55

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:55
Phil,

You forgot the EA Falcon. We had the misfortune of owning one which kept us broke for years and was worth nothing even as a trade on a $45K car. Hubby will NEVER by another Ford as a result of that experience.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 18138

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 17:34

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 17:34
I have had ef, el, auII auIII and soon a BA and have had fantastic runs from them, rolled thm over at 90000/100000 kms and no probelsm with any of them lucky or fortunate??
So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 18748

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:57

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:57
Hi Bonz,

Yes but if you'd had the misfortune of owning an EA then you never would have owned any of the others...

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 18969

Reply By: relaxed QLD - Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:46

Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 22:46
Kim
I own a GU 3lt TD Series II and have not had any probs with it, except for a alternator that bleep itself and replaced under warranty, but thats it.
I to read about all these problems that some owners are having and the more I read the more concerned I get. The main one is the fifth gear that appears to go west without warning, but I drive in fifth gear daily (we live about 10km out of town)with no probs. I've come to the conclusion not to take too much notice of the probs some people are having with their rigs, I'm aware of them and thats it. Otherwise I'd be a mess and on drugs. Sure, its a hefty investment we have, but we can not let it rule our lives.
Mate enjoy your rig, live for today and if bleep happens,it happens, deal with it then.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 26470

Follow Up By: Mick - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:42

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:42
You made me grin relaxed. No problems except for an alternator failure - you my friend are one of the many who've had a problem and it's quite misleading to say "have not had any probs." You've had a problem that would have been catastrophic had you been in a remote area! Can I compare it to a dog that never bites anyone except for once it took my arm off LOL! Don't make excuses for your vehicle - the alternator should not fail under at least 200,000km, neither should 5th gear, nor the suspension etc etc
FollowupID: 18101

Follow Up By: relaxed QLD - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:16

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:16
Mick
I think we have to be realistic here. I'm yet to find something new that doesn't have some type of teething problems these days and that goes for anything- cars, 4wds, boats and motors, motor bikes etc,etc. I'm not making excuses for the manufacturers, but it seems to be a part of the times these days. I bought a brand new 35hp johno outboard for my boat 3 yrs ago and the black box bleep itself (luckly I was still at the boat ramp) and then there was a design fault with the oil injection unit and the manufacturer instructed the dealers to remove them (no replacement). What about all the Fords and Holdens out there and the teething probs they have on occassions. My neighbour bought a new Holden SS a couple years ago and the black box bleep itself and I have other friends who swear that they will never buy another Ford because of the workmenship was just too poor. Yes, I agree, these things shouldn't happen,but they do.
My experience with the alternator, I believe would not have been too catostrophic in the middle of no where. The engine management system simply places the engine into slow mode (until the battery ran out of juice)and that probably would have got me out of trouble to within some type of communication distance (hopefully).
Mike, all I'm trying to get across here is it doesn't help being pessimistic and dwelling on what might go wrong. If that was the case, I doubt if anyone would be game enough to venture too far from home. I'm not being an ostrich here and sticking my head in the sand, I'm aware of the potential problems and if I have a problem eg 5th gear, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
But hey, least I got a smile on your dial.
Optimisum, not pessimium is the way to go.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 18105

Follow Up By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 17:40

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 17:40
My GUII has been wonderful since they replaced the turbo at 1946 km's, oh and the rear door seal, I love it thoSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
FollowupID: 18749

Reply By: CLIVEB - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:23

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:23
I think a lot of people who do not have GU 3.0 litres thoroughly enjoy bringing up the small number of engine problems in the early model.
These were either fixed by recall or warranty after the small sump problem was identified.
I have just bought a 2000 model with 100000 on the clock and expect apart from normal maintenance to get at least 4 times this mileage.
Nissan is the one vehicle that you can confidently buy at this mileage in my experience. (this is my 4th).
The 3.0 litre is a fantastic engine,what other 3 litre diesel puts out the power and torque that they can.
The gq 4.2 lives a long life because it is an outdated design and understressed.
Nissan could not continue with this engine as the amount of black smoke they can produce is beyond regulation (flatten your t/diesel and watch the exhaust).
The 3.0litre is very clean compared to the 4.2 and out performs it,is this progress or what?
Enjoy your vehicle,service it well and it will serve you,they are a great truck.
Regards
AnswerID: 26543

Follow Up By: Michael - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 16:05

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 16:05
Hi Clive, I gotta smile when you say the 3.0L engine doesnt blow smoke. As ive got a GU4,2 td,and spend 180ks a day on the freeway i see a few of these vehicles, i dont believe they are any better than the 4.2td. The intercooler on my new patrol probably reduces any smoke to an acceptable level. Give me the 4.2 any day.
FollowupID: 18166

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 17:00

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 17:00
I have a 3.0ltd & love it . If warranty is nearly up spend $750.00 for extended factory warranty as i did for pease off mind, cheap insurance.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 26559

Follow Up By: Member - Kim (mr) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 20:41

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 20:41
the ext. warranty is a great idea but if you read the fine print once you put seat covers on the seats you void the warranty. I've now read of a few cases where nissan have fixed problems out of warranty due to not wanting any more bad publicity on known problems. But all that aside i think thay are a great rig and mine has done 80000 kms without missing a beat.More drive'n less talk'n
FollowupID: 18195

Reply By: Graeme - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 02:12

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 02:12
I have a ZD30 GUII auto and so far have done 50000 with no probs. It is a great vehicle. I have a Dtronic and that is the best thing since sliced bread as the power, torque and fuel economy has improved, provided the blunnie is used sensibly. I would suggest that the very few probs have been blown out of all proportion by a few people who do not even own one. The others are usually fixed under warranty and would be no worse than any other make of vehicle.
Recently put some cooper s/t 265/75/16 on and very happy with them. They have also helped in a small way with the fuel economy but at a small penalty in acceleration.
I also have long range tanks with a total of approx 230 litres which give me a true range of 1800 km with reserve before the ring twitch if in the boonies.
Just keep trucking!!
AnswerID: 27229

Follow Up By: Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 00:45

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 00:45
Graeme

I'm just about to put Cooper 265/75's on my 3.0td (manual).

How are they going for wear etc. Would you recommend them over the standard 265/70's ??

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 19767

Follow Up By: Graeme - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:00

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 16:00
Andrew
I have so far only done 6000km on them over both bitumun and gravel, buth wet and dry, and have been suitably impressed. As for wear I am unable to tell, but the dealer and others who have had them, say 100,000Km is not unreasonable. Be aware they do get up a bit of a growl on the tar. I did also get a full alignment as well
Cheers,
Graeme
FollowupID: 19778

Sponsored Links