Help needed for Web Page design

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 at 23:35
ThreadID: 6290 Views:1377 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of developing my own web page using Microsoft FrontPage. I am learning as I go but one thing I am having problems with is getting the same background to appear on the actual site, that appears in FrontPage. I have uploaded the style.css??? to see if that works but it hasn't. This is only my second day and I am having fun developing the page, but this is a small problem that is really frustrating me.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advanceJust Do It!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:10

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:10
glen
have you checked that the host of your web page excepts front page extention not all do & this can course you problems
AnswerID: 26480

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:12

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:12
also the biggest problem i had using front page was to remeber to save the page before posting it .
hope this might help
bruce
FollowupID: 18099

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:05

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:05
Glenn,

is it one of the default backgrounds that comes with Front Page? If so, you will need to track down the location of the image file for the background (usually a *.gif or *.jpg file). You will then need to upload this to your ISP. However, you have to make sure that the path to the file is correct on your web page.

For example, when you create a new "Web" in frontpage, it goes and creates a directory structure and dumps some files in these directories. Somewhere in here is where the background picture is (usually). You web page will be pointing to this location for the file and Front Page, being like it is, is expecting the directory structure to be mirrored on your ISP. If it is not, you will have to edit your web page to tell it to point to the correct directory on your ISP. Most ISP's dont support Front Page Extensions, but you should have no problems uploading the directory structure and have it work.

So my advice would be, that what ever directory structure you are using on your home computer to put the web site together, mirror that on you ISP account aswell(making sure that your match the case aswell, as ISP's run on systems that are case sensitive - my advice here would be to make sure its all in lowercase).

Hope this helps

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 26488

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:19

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:19
As others have said you need to have that file on the server.. Personally I dispise Front page, its not as easy as it could be..

And the HELP file is about as useful as elephant balls on a mozzie.

Check that the URL of the image is pointing to the same on the server.
so if your code says

BODY BACKGROUND="images/star.jpg"

make sure you have the image "star.jpg" in the folder "images" on the server.. this is a common fault people go with.
AnswerID: 26513

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:31

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:31
Hi Truckster,

Not having used any other product I don't actually mind Front Page. I am sure that I am not doing everything correctly, but as I said I am new to this. I do agree however that the HELP file is extremely pathetic.

Have a great weekend, weather is looking like it should be good for you all. Looking forward to the next trip.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 18125

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:49

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:49
Glenn,

Got to agree with you. I'm having great fun setting up a web-site in FrontPage. Not having used any other product I have nothing to compare it to but I will say that for the first time ever, I actually did the built-in tutorial that comes with the software before launching into it. I found this extremely helpful so if you haven't already done so, think about doing the tutorial.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 18137

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:09

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:09
I'm with Truckster. For the beginner, Front Page is good to get you started, but once you start to learn a bit more about HTML, you'll quickly also learn that Front Page is a DOG. I started off using good old notepad, moved onto HotDog, then FrontPage, and am now using Dreamweaver and its fantastic. Doesn't go and put crappy code in places you dont want it like Front Page does. But as I said earlier, Front Page is definately a good tool to start off with when you are learning the ropes.
FollowupID: 18139

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:28

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 11:28
Thankyou all for your assistance. I have it working now. The html was looking in the wrong place.

CheersJust Do It!

AnswerID: 26514

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:25

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:25
Dont feel bad or stupid, Ive seen pros make the same mistake.. Ive done it myself.

If you search the Net, look for HOMESITE... Could be www.homesite.com or something like that. Theres a trial versin there and cracks for it all over the net like www.cracks.am REALLY EASY to use.. REALLY!!

I just use Notepad, I have more Web Authoring programs than I know what to do with but still just use Notepad and Homesite.
FollowupID: 18151

Sponsored Links