camper trailers

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 01:16
ThreadID: 6292 Views:2053 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all
was thinking about building a custom camper trailer if anybody has any plains or drawings that might help that they are willing to share ,can you email them to me at budget@upnaway.com. or any other helpful hints would be appreciated
thanks bruce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:31

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:31
Not a bad idea if i had a mig ot ig welder especially for reinforced shock mounts but i know a guy (cameron i think ) has some plans on the overlander forum.
he has them linked to a website of his sorry i dont have the address at the moment.
My brother is currently designing and making a prototype for his campertrailer attachment for any standard trailer.
Of course not super heavy duty but fine for medium jaunts into the bush.

Any way try overlander1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 26491

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:35

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:35
thanks i shall have a look
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 18110

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:43

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:43
Bruce,

Give Hudson Canvas in Mandurah a ring. I was down there a while back talking to him about modifying our old camper (ended up selling and buying new) but he was extremely knowledgable about both trailers and canvas work. Actually showed me a couple of custom made trailers he had there ready to fit up with canvas and we had a long talk about how much money folks can save if they go custom rather than buying off the shelf. Anyway, I'm sure he could put you onto someone who builds trailers (if you wanted to have someone do the work for you) or at the very least he will help you work out a design and special considerations for the canvas work.

Also, drop into http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa_campertrailers
Plenty of folks there (including myself) who might be able to help you out.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 26524

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:52

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:52
thanks melissa
will give them ago btw how are you getting on with your web site did you solve your over lay/merging isues
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 18146

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:56

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 13:56
Hi Bruce,

Web-site has stalled lately as I've been so busy. Despite the best advice from everyone, I still haven't been able to work out how to overlay/merge layers which has left me feeling a bit thick! Who'd believe earn a living doing software implementations and troubleshooting systems, LOL.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 18147

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:30

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 14:30
Melissa
if you not in a rush i might be able to help as i have programs which make working with objects ,photos,lettering ect easy so,if you want to email me what you are trying to do i will have a look
Bruce@budgetsigns.biz
FollowupID: 18153

Reply By: Member - Doug - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 00:00

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 00:00
For the record, I've just had a Custom Camper built by RV Trailers of Caboolture Qld. with canvas by 'Not Just Canvas' who are in the same building,
and I'm rapt.
You can see my rig and RVTrailers details here
link text

The Welshmun & The Witch
setting off in 2004 for 2+ years
in '93 Series 80 & Dream Camper
AnswerID: 26903

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:40

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:40
Doug
nice camper how do you find it tows off road being so long
& i take it that it is just 2 of you or is there any little dougs as well ,reason i ask is that this is the problem i am having with standard off the shelf design trailers that they dont build them to sleep 2 adults & 3 energy zapers/wirlwinds/kids thanks again for the photos they have given me new ideas
Regarsd Bruce
FollowupID: 18452

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:02

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:02
Bruce,
Apologies for not replying sooner; I didn't see your follow-up come in.
On road the Camper tows brilliantly, the double axle gives superb stability. I confess we haven't done much offroad with it yet, but it won't be long. Both axles have air bags and I can lift one or other of the wheel pairs clear off the ground for those tight corners - also for hand manoevering. We have yet to test it in anger though.
The length is an issue when reversing, although the long draw bar makes for good control.
Nope, no little Dougs, and I guess we've selfishly designed this one for the 2 of us - King size bed an' all !
However, the inside section has slept another adult comfortably at ground level, and the awning gives plenty of living space.
But I agree, it must be hard to find one for a high energy family - I don't think sound poof Canvas has been invented yet!
My kids are grown up - just remember: the first 25 years are the worst !
Good luck.
Doug
The Welshmun & The Witch
FollowupID: 20805

Follow Up By: Member - Doug - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:14

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:14
Bruce,
I forgot to mention: the long drawbar on my Camper is intended to hold the storage box you can see in the picture which can be moved forward by slackening bolts underneath AND then, tucked in behind, there's room to carry a trailbike (which I've yet to get.) This is my emergency transport or, 'how to nip down the shops for the milk easily'.
Alternatively, I can add a second storage box.
Doug
( and now I need the 'Cruiser Turbo charged as it's all getting a bit heavy for my standard 1HZ diesel - never stops huh?)from:
The Welshmun & The Witch
FollowupID: 20806

Sponsored Links