ULP Vs Diesel

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:37
ThreadID: 6297 Views:1898 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip round Oz, but off the beaten track. Is there any advantage in a diesel vehicle or will my NH Pajero V6 do it, and will it's electronics stand up to the trip?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:56

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:56
Some off the beaten track localities restrict the use and sale of ULP, you will get deisel anywhere.

I guess all fuel suffer from some sort of contamination now and again in outback areas, but carrying spare filters for say diesels, which are easier to get going again than vehicles fitted with fuel injected systems.

With that in mind either fuel type will get you where you want to go.
AnswerID: 26494

Reply By: PJ - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:08

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:08
Rex,
I have a duel fuel Patrol - A decision I regretted from day 2. For mine, Diesel all the way. Long trips and Gas (not that I see gas as part of your question) don't go together. As far as Diesel vs ULP - My hand goes up for Diesel - Stronger, more reliable, more efficient, more access to spares etc etc Good luck
AnswerID: 26495

Follow Up By: bruce - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:33

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:33
PJ..You state that ..long trips and gas dont go together...why not ? , gas is readily available at most places around oz and is usually much cheaper than petrol...we saved big time on our trip a few years ago by running the wagon almost all the time on gas...cheers
FollowupID: 18215

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:22

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:22
Your Vehicle will be fine. Just make sure you have enough fuel range. I prefer a diesel but I certainly wouldn't sell your vehicle just to buy one for the trip. The Pajero is a very underated vehicle and probably has the best standard LSD of any vehicle I have driven. Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 26502

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:53

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 10:53
I was looking at a dual fuel Patrol, but decided on just a straight petrol one.

I would think these days, There would be very few places you couldn't get ULP. Yes you might need some sort of extended range via Jerry's, but not a big deal I think.
AnswerID: 26509

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:33

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:33
Rex,

We had an NH Pajero V6 for four years which we used extensively throughout the Top End (we were living there then), offroading with friends and the Top End 4WD club most weekends including throughout the wet season. When we moved back to WA we made it a long trip across the Kimberely and down the WA coast. On later trips to the Pilbara, goldfields and other WA outback area's we towed an offroad campertrailer. We never, ever had any trouble with the Paj and would not hesitate to recommend it as a suitable vehicle for touring Oz.

Only thing I feel worth mentioning is that if you are planning on water crossings say more than 80cm deep be aware that the air intake is quite low in the Paj's, down by the headlights. After our first particularly deep crossing in the Top End, we had a Safari snorkel fitted by ARB for peace of mind. Not long after we had the air flow sensor unit off and could see that a small amount of water had ingressed that far back (sits at top of engine). No doubt repeated deep water crossings (and up north during the wet season there are many. Lost count of the number of times we had water over the bonnet of the Paj) without the snorkel would have caused some damage somewhere.

Our Paj also benefited from a 50mm lift at the back. Not much can be done to raise the front end except winding up the torsion bars. We adjusted ours several times before we found a happy compromise between ride height and handle.

BTW, I used to live in NQ and have toured all around there including a trip to Cape York and the CREB track (that trip done in a mate's SWB Paj, about an '86 model I think) and I wouldn't have thought twice about taking our NH there.

Luv the Paj!

:o) Melissa

Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 26523

Reply By: UB.1 - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 17:35

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 17:35
I can only second what Melissa said. I have an NH dual fuel with 237000km on it and the only time we had any trouble getting gas was at Booraloola as they don't have LPG for vehicles. Simple- I'd been given the wrong info.

The NH is a vast improvement over the old 60series diesel cruiser I had. The NH will do almost anything you ask of it. Running costs are very reasonable as are parts mostly, and its easier to manouver than the bigger Patrols and cruisers.
AnswerID: 26563

Reply By: Lyds - Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:30

Friday, Aug 01, 2003 at 19:30
You should consider a aux fuel tank. Better safe than sorry.Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 26572

Reply By: pilbaralad - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 15:52

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 15:52
You say you want to go "off the beaten track", well around my way through the kimberly/pilbara unless you are wanting to go on the canning stock route, out to rudall river national park or thereabouts fuel isn't a problem. If you were planning on getting out there (East of Newman) into the western desert then there is no ULP available due to the effects of sniffing in the communities. You have probably heard it before but Diesel reigns supreme through this type of country, Diesel engines have more torque on the sandy and steep hills/dunes, better fuel economy and if you have to carry extra fuel in jerry cans (something you want to avoid), a safer fuel to carry. If you are planning on coming through this way feel free to contact me as I live and work in Newman and through the Western Desert Communities.
AnswerID: 27050

Sponsored Links