Engine over heating? Possible Viscous fan

Submitted: Monday, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 630 Views:2029 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Every time I go offroad onto sand, the temp gauge goes up from half to over three quaters very quickly. It cools down very quickly though when back on the normal road. I have had the radiator checked but the problem still occurs. How do I see if the viscous fan is still working. I drive a Nissan Patrol diesel GQ. If I go offroad in any other situation the gauge is fine.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim - Monday, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:00
have 3.0 litre tuorbo diesal after 3 days at stocton beach no probs also refer nissan club web site sure you will find your probs are not normal cheeck again with dealer after checking net .
AnswerID: 1694

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00
Brendon,
I got a friend with similar problems. The other response was from somebody with a 3.0L Patrol which has a totally different engine.
After doing some research I found that the GQ Diesel is likelly to overheat. We still have not found the causes but after posting questions on on the net and on the Patrol forum it comes down to airflow and injection.
AnswerID: 1698

Reply By: Rob - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00
Brendon

We have GQ 4.2 diesel with turbo intercool and it does the same thing. Put it under load and watch the temp gauge rise proportionally. The viscous fan on ours seems OK as you can certainly hear it cut in and the temp backs off once the airflow increases. I put it down to the additional power and the restriction on airflow of having to travel through the intercooler, then the condensor, before finally getting to the radiator. This must reduce the velocity. Tried backflushing the radiator once but it was very clean anyway and made no difference. Now I just keep a wary eye on it when it is under load and it gives no trouble really. Probably the radiator is slightly to small.
Rob
AnswerID: 1701

Reply By: David - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:00
Brendon, I had the same problem in my naturally aspirated GU Patrol diesel. I fixed the problem by replacing two things, the radiator cap and the thermostat. The cap can be checked cheaply by most workshops. The thermostat is a two stage and rather expensive.
AnswerID: 1762

Reply By: Stuart - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
Have had a similar problem with my 80 series GXL, it kept pushing coolant out through the overflow bottle. Sadly it turned out to be a hair line crack in the head which only opened up after long periods of load
AnswerID: 2156

Sponsored Links