A/C compressor install for Pajero

Submitted: Monday, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 631 Views:3341 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a N/L pajero and was wondering if anyone has installed an A/C compressor in a vehicle of the same model or similar as there is very little room in the engine bay.
thanks Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00
Matt - I am assuming that you are talking about an ADDITIONAL a/c compressor to be used as an air pump for pumping up tyres etc. If this is the case you should talk to "Endless Air" who sell just such a device. If they have done this work on a V6 Pajero already (highly likely) then they will be able to help with advice and the sale of the appropriate brackets.

If you are looking at actualy installing air cond then check out the Mits dealer.

Please publish your findings - there are other Pajero owners out there (like me!) who have been thinking about using the endless air type of installation and who would DIY it if brackets etc were available.

Cheers

Joe
AnswerID: 1697

Follow Up By: Matt - Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:00
Joe
I had already contacted Endless Air and they said they had installed one in a diesel Pajero but not a petrol and I am assuming there is more room in the engine bay on the deisel. However if you read my reply to John Sullivan when he asked a similar question on the date of Tuesday December 11. I would be glad to hear your opinion.
Regards Matt.
FollowupID: 561

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:00
Matt,

I read your response and I believe that using a duplex pulley is the way that Endless Air normally install their systems so it should be a reasonable choice. It is just that I don't have the time (or tools) to make up my own brackets. I can see how it might be possible to run it off the alternator (using a duplex pulley) and bolt the mounting brackets to the alternator bracket - I think that would give the requisite clearance.

I am just about to buy an electric compressor (the Blue Tongue sold through Opposite Lock) which will fit into the small locker under the back seats. I am going to have a power outlet wired into this locker, but the compressor will be pulled out and placed on the footwell of the rear seats for use as everyone believes that it would overheat if I bolted it into the locker.

This is not a perfect solution, but it will work, it keeps the compressor clean and ready to hand and is of course portable.

Let us know what you decide though.

Joe
AnswerID: 1704

Follow Up By: Matt - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:00

Joe
Thanks for the reply.good luck with your choice of compressor. You must have more patience than me. The blue Tongue puts out 1.07cfm as compared to 8cfm with the Endless model. However you have an upside, you have more time to check out the scenery when pumping up the tyres :-) Regards Matt
FollowupID: 565

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Jan 09, 2002 at 01:00

Joe, I have an ARB compressor under the front seat. Just buy some compressor hose fittings and store the hose elsewhere. Hard wire the compressor via some heavy duty cable and a fuse with a switch mounted on the dash and bingo.
AnswerID: 1713

Sponsored Links