Bamaga - Oct onwards..

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 14:57
ThreadID: 6324 Views:1927 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What happens in Bamaga after the tourist season, I gathered from reading this forum's threads that the dry cool season at the Tip (CYP) is May-Oct and start of wet in Oct/Nov. What happens during this period (ie after the peak tourist season), do the locals and tourist just leave and R&R in Cairns or venture down south and Bamaga is sort of deserted? Or some die-hard tourist remain to sober up? What about the fishing, I heard that in the wet season, the fish just come to you, ie because its water/flood everywhere, you dont have to trek to the nearest billabong.
And the sand flies and mossies, do you get more itches per sq inch of skin because all the tourists have gone? Is the wet season more lonesome and miserable or more serene and peaceful and easier fishing. What about the typhoons and hurricanes, another reason for the off-peak season.. Just curious about the area as I may have to defer the trip ( by air) until the Oct time frame - 2 months. Any information is greatly appreciated, with thanks

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DARREN - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 13:31

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 13:31
Ian, we spent October up there in 97, a tiny bit of rain in Weipa which was not an issue, the positive being it was very quiet in most places which was great. heading up there in 2 weeks so am expecting a lot more people. As you are flying, and no chance of getting stuck I would not have a problem with October or even November at all.
AnswerID: 26754

Sponsored Links