Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 21:04
ThreadID: 6327 Views:2141 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.
Can anyone advise me of a place to purchase a set of mudflaps for my 80 series as I have heard numerous stories of stones taking out the back window when towing camper trailers or vans.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kim (mr) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 01:00
Gday ashley, i think you want a stone deflector on the front of your van or camper due to the fact that mud flaps dont go low enough to stop a stone flicking up, and it dos'nt have to be at much of an angle because by the time it hits your trailer and then heads back at your forbys rear window at the same angle its got up pritty high. And if you have a stone deflector on the front of your trailer it will send the stone back down to the road. Hope that made some sorta scence, im really tired and should be in bed.More drive'n less talk'n
AnswerID: 26647

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 09:59

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 09:59
Mudflaps won't do it, you need to place cardboard or something of sorys over rear window(s) or place a deflector on your trailer.
New window is over $900 or $450 per side for Barn doors so this is a worthwhile exercise.
Hope this helpsso many places, so little time !!!
AnswerID: 26651

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 19:37

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 19:37
Are you talkin about one of them grandad kits where they ahve large amount of rubber strip across back of car down to the ground??

Just go to a rubber place, and theres the rubber for it, and make up a few brackets out of angle for mounting.

But as others ahve said, do everything you can to help, stone deflectors on trailer and all..
AnswerID: 26694

Follow Up By: Member - Heather&Ashley - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 21:45

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 21:45
Thanks All
For the replys as truckster mentioned we are worried that it is the actual trailer mounted deflecter that is capable of doing all the damage and we were wondering if a giant mud flap may save us some bucks out on the road. We are travelling to the kimberleys in sept/oct and don't want to get caught with a busted rear screen
thanks all
FollowupID: 18256

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:19

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 22:19
Hi Heather
Should be something in the archives on this,
I think the way to go was a deflector linked between rear of the car and the front
of the trailer.

Hope this helps
CheersPrado TD Auto
AnswerID: 26716

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:46

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:46

If you're going with a full length rubber mudflap across the back of the car just don't do what we recently saw...some bozo had made up such a mud flap and mounted it centrally at the rear of the car. All fine and dandy except it wasn't wide enough leaving both rear wheels fully exposed. Since it's the tyres that flick up the stones one has to wonder what purpose, if any, he thought the rubber guard was serving???

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 26833

Sponsored Links