A 240V -12VDC Converter f air compressor?

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 21:14
ThreadID: 6329 Views:5338 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am looking for a converter which will allow me to run my tyre air compressor off the 240v main supply instead of my car battery.

Does any one know where they can be purchased, I have tried the local car places but no joy. I haven't tried Dick Smith or Jaycar yet.

An option is to go an buy one of those Mobitronic converters for the fridges or even a cheap jump starter unit but was hoping for something cheap and easy to use.

Thanks in advance,
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 22:02

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 22:02
Richard,
Depends on the type of compressor you have. My Thomas draws about 8A continuous, but many draw more. Any power supply must handle the startup current of the motor, and the extra current as the higher pressure is attained.
Having said that, the DC does not need to be filtered, and a hefty battery charger (>10A, possibly 20A) will probably not harm the motor, even tho they can put out over 17v unloaded.
If you have a 240/12v power supply for your HF radio, this should certainly run the compressor ok, as they can take up to 20A or so peak current.
It may be simpler if you have a spare 12v battery (doesn't need to be all that big) to run the compressor , but floated off a small battery charger.
rgds
Gerry
AnswerID: 26637

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 22:48

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 22:48
Gerry,
I have a TrackAir compressor and am not sure what it draws.

The idea of the extra battery has a number of other good options (eg a power supply while camping) and having a recharger will be an an advantage as well (as don't have one).

I will give this serious consideration,

Thanks for the help

Richard
FollowupID: 18233

Reply By: Goodsy - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 23:16

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 23:16
The power supply you need to run your compressor would be very expensive. Hundreds of dollars.

Why do you want to run the compressor on 240?
AnswerID: 26645

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 23:21

Saturday, Aug 02, 2003 at 23:21
Hi, I guess it is so I can use at home - if necessary, without having to have the car running.

But am not prepared to spend lots of $ for solution if that is what is required - just thought there mayy be some simple and cheap attachment availble to do this.

Richard
FollowupID: 18234

Reply By: Old Jack - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:53

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 10:53
as others have said the cost of a decent Transformer to run the compressor could be prohibitive, on the other hand buying a jumpstarter pack could be handy, even one of the 900amp ones from supacheap auto makes a handy portable power supply for running lights, air compressor's etc. you will pick one up from $70-$100.00 that will start cars etc when needed. we have one here floating around all the time. handy as a pocket on a shirt!
you can then take the power to where it is needed!

AnswerID: 26652

Sponsored Links