Condensation

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 16:57
ThreadID: 6338 Views:6872 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering putting a canopy on my ute with canvas sides and an aluminium roof. Does anybody have this setup and do they get water from condensation building up on the interior of the roof section when sleeping in it, especially in sub zero temperatures where it is likely to freeze the condensation and then drip on you as the temperature rises. Also did insulation overcome any problems.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Rowdy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:28

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:28
Hi Rowdy,

Glue some material to the roof of the canopy so that there is no interaction between the warm air you are breathing out and the cold surfaces of the canopy ( be it metal or fibreglass). Alternatively make sure that you have an air vent somewhere.

I sleep in my truck which has a bare fibreglass canopy. I leave the windows down just a fraction at night ( have gauze window sox to keep the bities out ). Still get a bit of condensation forming on the roof but nothing serious. Have though about a roof lining but it is on the gunna-list.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 26672

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:28

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 17:28
rowdy
had a similar set up in my hj75 ute only steel roof condesation was a major problem but was esily solved by carpeting the roof ,after that it worked well
regards bruce
AnswerID: 26675

Reply By: phil - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 18:05

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 18:05
As others have said, insulation under the roof is essential. Even with that ventilation is still essential to stop condensation on other cold areas.
I have a tray top ute with vinyl sides and a 10mm plywood roof. The ply seems to provide enough insulation. However we sleep with the back open! Worked fine in the Flinders a month ago.
Phil
AnswerID: 26682

Reply By: joohnoo - Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 23:23

Sunday, Aug 03, 2003 at 23:23
I had a Courier ute with canopy that I used to camp in on many trips in the mountains to the south of the ACT. I lined the canopy roof with a foil covered foam rubber that had an adhesive backing. Most effiective in minimising condensation, and not very expensidve to do.
AnswerID: 26721

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 15:11

Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 15:11
Rowdy,
I have some silica gel in a small plastic container with load of holes in it that I keep in areas of high condensation, when the little gel balls go pink I put the container in the sunlight for the day until they go blue again, give the container a bit of a shake during the day to move them all around, works a treat for me and I can't say I've had condensation problems.
Be careful with insulation, the condensation will form behind the insulation, the insulation will absorb the water and over time cause corrosion and you won't know about it, it's commonly known as CUI in the petrochemical game (corrosion under insulation).
Hope this helps, own opinions as usual.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 26761

Sponsored Links