Adjustable air shocks ????? Any thoughts.

Submitted: Monday, Aug 04, 2003 at 23:00
ThreadID: 6368 Views:3658 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I need to upgrade the rear leafs due to sag on the 99 extra cab Hilux, front torsions were done at 50k TJM H-D.
Am toying with wether to get the series 2000 H-D all round or to get Series 2000 together with Monroe adjustable air shocks for the rear. My reasoning is that to be able to adjust for the empty trip to town and the chockablock return & also the holiday overload with motorbike, 100l H2o, 170l fuel etc ! Have heard a lot of good feedback about bladders. We used to use adj. air shocks on a work ute for carpet laying and found them invaluable but that wasn't 4wding.
Any thoughts, would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt M - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:44

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:44
Slammin,

I put them on the rear of my Isuzu MU 1.7tonne after the rear springs sagged to within an inch of the bump stop. I have now had them on for about 80 000km (due for replace) and they have been outstanding!!

Whilst travelling on the Mereenie loop in Alice I blew two new front Trackrider (Peddars replaced after much haggling) shocks and these are supposed to be tough!! While the Monroes, 20 000k older didnt have a problem, they have done well!

I have never had any problems off road, either they have coped plenty of times I thought they SHOULD give up the ghost but they keep going. Will definately put them on again!!

The only thing I can say bad is the fact that the air line is linked to both shock with no shuttle valve in between, so in theory it can effect cornering ie body roll! I really havent found this to happen or even be slightly more noticable than before the fitment. It has also been said that in off road situations it can act in your favour adding traction, if one wheel is lifted the pressure pushes the other wheel down harder on trhe ground!

I had a v8 commodore with air bags in the coils and had nothing but trouble with them, leaking constantly and too stiff with nothing but a sniff of air in them. Might be different in a heavier 4wd but I wont risk it, love the monroes especially for price!!
AnswerID: 26816

Reply By: bigboy - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 19:08

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 19:08
YOU SHOULD PUT PARABOLIC SPINGS IN THE REAR
OR A SET OF POLY AIR SPRINGS
BOTH ITEMS ARE GOOD .
I HAVE SEVERAL 4X4 AND THERE ALL BEEN SET UP BY L.C. 4X4 PARTS (0746696639) THEY ALL CARRY HEAVY LOADS BUT ARE SOFT TO DRIVE .
HEAPS OF WHEEL TRAVEL . THEY MAKE A KIT TO SUIT YOUR NEEDS .
GIVE THEM A RING .
AnswerID: 26855

Follow Up By: haze - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 18:07

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 18:07
Totally agree-- Polyair "bellows" type are for your application. Extensively used in heavy transport vehicles, are well proven. Have them on 75 L/C. cannot fault.
cheers haze
FollowupID: 18483

Sponsored Links