Inverter Location/Installation

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 20:31
ThreadID: 6385 Views:2200 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Gang,
I'm Looking at installing my 300W Inverter under the Passenger Seat of my Pajero and was wondering what the best way to do it would be? I have the +wire for my Engel that runs down the Passenger side of the Paj, Can I splice into that or would I be better running the same gauge wire direct from the Aux Battery? What would be the advantages/disadvantages? And any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Keep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 20:43

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 20:43
Matt I'm not an expert but I'd be keeping them seperate 'cos if one goes you want the other to survive (especially the fridge). Also if you've sized the wire for the fridge at the correct size then it'll be overloaded when you run both together. Also when you keep everything as seperatre as you can it makes trouble shooting easier.
AnswerID: 26872

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 21:03

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 21:03
I am with Andrew , If you splice into the fridge wire , you may cause a voltage drop when both are running together. Usually the manufacturer will supply a wire thicknes that just covers the amps that are reguired .Running both together will double the amp draw . I would also fit a relay to the 12 volt side of the inverter for added safty on river crossings , would hate to see water and 240 V in the same cabin together (just a thought ).
AnswerID: 26877

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 22:32

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 22:32
Not that this answers your question but this is what i do.... I have an aux batt in the rear of my patrol which runs an engel 40litre......... I have just run a coupla more wires from the batt to an anderson plug (quick release like the forklifts have), and whenever i wanna use the invertor i just grab it outta storage and clip it to the plug and away i go..... If it was something used all the time i would have mounted it...and i have a grounding cable tucked under the carpet with and alligator clip on it for grounding the invertor to the body whilst using......._____________________________________________

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 22:56

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 22:56
Under seat, if you get a car full of water, like stuck in creek and open door, bye bye inverter...

just a thought
AnswerID: 26897

Follow Up By: Eric - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 23:21

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2003 at 23:21
now I am not sure about this but I thought a inverter was like a transformer inside , I didnt think the water could have done much damage ,
there you go I have learnt something new , I thought the only problem was when it was connected to the battery and got sibmerged it could electicute you , thats why I sujested the relay , thanks truckster
FollowupID: 18426

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:58

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:58
Not many things electrical like to be submerged..
FollowupID: 18458

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 08:23

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 08:23
Cheers Guys,
I think I'll Run a seperate Wire and relay from Aux battery. Thanks for the great replys.

MattKeep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
AnswerID: 26912

Follow Up By: Mark - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:14

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:14
Matt,

Make sure you use a decent cable rated at least 40amps. A 300 watt inverter can draw in excess of 25 amps when running an appliance at max wattage. Also make sure you fuse as close to the battery as poss to protect if the cable or inverter shorts out. These units can get quite hot when running for a while so consider this if placing it in a confined space.
Cheers
FollowupID: 18446

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:13

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:13
Thanks for that Mark, will do. I may put it in the foot well of the passenger side instead I want to run a laptop from it. i had it in the rear before but now have a cargo barrier there too hard to get to.

cheersKeep It On The Rough Stuff

Matt (W.A.)
FollowupID: 18449

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 13:38

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 13:38
Hi Matt,
Yeh, the 300w inverter will draw heaps, full load, so run a hefty cable and a 30A or so circuit breaker.
Re getting wet, a modern inverter looks like the insides of your computer with lots of electronics; they don't like water.
Re running your computer from the inverter, check if your computer uses an external power supply. If so, then it probably runs off about 12-20v dc, with the power supply doing the conversion. If this is the case, you can get a nice computer power converter from the likes of Dick Smith or Jaycar which will do the job (Jaycar cat MP3462, about $90). This will improve the efficiency of the conversion (not double-converting 12-240-15v). Using a large inverter for small current draw usually results in much less than the quoted efficiency, so you lose out there, and may run the battery down quicker.
I carry both; a dc-dc converter for the laptop, which works a treat, and a 380w inverter just for the coffee grinder (beats instant) and occasionally the bamix. Oh, and for recharging camera batteries (I have no way around this one; it's a special charger).
rgds
Gerry
FollowupID: 18467

Follow Up By: member-skippyking - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:57

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:57
Matt,

you mention you have a cargo barrier. Why not mount the inverter up there? No water hassles, plenty of air flow to keep it cool.

As they radiate heat, your passenger may not like it mounted at their feet, or under their butt come summer. Nice in winter though :~)

SKMost human problems can be solved by an appropriate charge of high
explosive."
FollowupID: 20867

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 15:20

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 15:20
Matt
I use mine as a temporary installation only when I need it. Same as most people I suspect.
I simply plug mine into a heavy duty socket down near the console direct from the battery (dual system) and I've glued velcro strips onto the underside of the inverter and then just wack it on the side of the passenger footwell onto the carpet.
I found that the velcro holds really well and it hasn't come off yet in the rough stuff(until I want it to of course).
I only use a 150W model just for laptop and battery chargers etc.
Inverters can get pretty warm and an exposed position can help dissipate the heat.
(I wouldn't want a wet inverter either)
cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 26945

Sponsored Links