How to fit a shower

Submitted: Friday, Jan 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 639 Views:2528 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Could someone please tell me if you fit shower heat exchanger to the inlet side of heater or outlet side, on a 3lt diesel Patrol. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim - Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00
Geoff i fitted a heat exch on rhs sitting above the long fuse box plus the pump fits between the firewall and the heat exch unit,I dont think it matters weather you fit on inlet/outlet as it doesnt matter which way the water flows through the heat exchanger,have used the same unit for 9 years on3 different trucks,currently a 3l patrol hope this helps.
AnswerID: 1730

Reply By: David - Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 13, 2002 at 01:00
Geoff, it doesn't matter which hose you connect into, just remember to connect the pump to the delivery side of the heat exchanger, other wise you will be drawing hot water into the pump thus shortening the pumps life, hopes this helps, cheers, Dave.
AnswerID: 1731

Reply By: Jim - Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:00
I have a GQ 2.8TD and have some difficulty getting the shower water hot enough compared to my previous petrol 4WD's. I suspect this is because the diesel doesn't generate at much heat when it's not working. Consequently I have done much research to try to increase the water temp. These include - positioning the shower heat exchanger before the vehicle's heater heat exchanger. This was determined by feeling hoses as the vehicle warmed up to be sure of the flow direction. Coolant flow direction through the heat exchanger should be opposite to the direction of flow of the shower water according to the people at Brown Davis. Make sure you have no air in the heat exchanger if it is mounted horizontally as once in there it can't get out and will reduce it's efficiency. I also added a tap in the shower water line to control the water flow rate. My pump can run at 9 litres/minute which is a bit fast for both effective water heating and water conservation. Mains pressure! By using the tap and increasing engine speed to a fast idle, I can now get a shower that is acceptable to my (cold blooded) wife, and we all know that if the missus is happy, everyone's happy!
AnswerID: 1782

Reply By: Darrin - Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
Geoff

The best way to fit the exchanger is to the outlet hose of your heater this way you can control the water temperature at the shower head by the use of the heater controller inside the vehicle. Diesels run a lot cooler than petrols which can be a problem with getting nice hot water to suit everyone so all you can do is try to slow down the flow of the cold water through the exchanger by an inline tap between the exchanger and shower head or experiment with various size washers inside the fittings to give you a smaller diameter hole on the inlet house. It will be a bit of trial and error. Either way there will always be someone who isn't happy with the temperature, they just have to realise it's not a Rheem.......Good luck
AnswerID: 1855

Sponsored Links