nissan patrol rx 4.2 efi nothing but trouable

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:13
ThreadID: 6405 Views:13833 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
i purchase a 4.2 petrol patrol 1994 rx and all i do is pay out money within the 1st month we blow both back tyres on the same day .then the battery went,after another month the wipes gave up . along with one head light.Ive tried the hiclones to reduce the petrol useage they do work if the engine is tuned .Now the petrol pump has gone!!!.Which is going to cost around 650$ to fix,Also it is leaking cutch fluid somewhere but i can not find it.We brought it to travel Aust but before we can do that ill need to buy a long range tank!!!another 1000$.We, my wife and 3 boys had a diesel`patrol in N Z,which we had for years,only having to pay for tyres and tune ups . We did alot of off roading.Im going to cut my losts and start looking for a gq diesel .I dont want to get into landcruiser vs patrol ,But i do want to know is what was the 1994 4.2 efi desgin for?Ive only had my for a few months and im to worried to go anywhere
regards uppy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:41

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:41
Uppy, The vehicle is getting towards ten years old so you have to expect problems like fuel pumps and leaky hydraulics. The other things are consumables that happen to all vehicles regardless of age or k's. If the vehicle was built to last for ever it could be criticised for being over-engineered (it would be overpriced and overweight). Ten year old cars cost a fraction of their new price for that very reason - they are getting old and things start to go wrong. You can be lucky and get a really good run, but in reality when you buy an old truck you should be budgeting for expensive repairs. If you want less trouble then you need to buy new. As for fuel consumption we know that heavyweight petrol 4WDs use a lot. That is why they are so cheap to buy compared with diesel. The bottom line is that there is no free lunch when it comes to cars.
AnswerID: 26962

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:52

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:52
Bob
Give us a brake .
Well maintained 4by will go for 20 years .
Some people have similar problems with 4by that just left the showroom and spend more time in the workshop than on the road.
All it comes to is to get a right advise and technical check by an expert..
GQ are well build trucks and seeing problems like that just show general luck of maintenace. Someone realised what will cost to repair the 4by and off loaded it.

FollowupID: 18536

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 13:13

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 13:13
Andy, I agree it will go for twenty years but not without bits breaking. Major transmission/drivetrain/suspension components are what set a 4WD apart from conventional vehicles. Unfortunately, many other components are sourced, in this case, from the Datsun parts bin. No amount of maintenance will prevent failures in things like fuel pumps. You just have to be prepared to fix them and move on. I am not suggesting that Nissan is any different to any other make in this regard.
FollowupID: 18557

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:42

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:42
LOL.. Sounds like you didnt do 1% of research on your car.

You state in first month you blew tires... then you say in NZ you only had to pay tires and servicing.. The difference?

Petrol pump has gone.. They do that after a while, how many klms on the car?

If you did your research you would find out on any forum that Petrol Patrols are thirsty, and if its on LPG be prepared for the head to blow, thats $1000+.

Then you say you will need to add a long range tank. You didnt think of this first?

If you had no problems with diesel before, why did you buy petrol in the first place?

Luke also had a few problems with his Maverick when he bought it, but you dont buy a 10yr old car and not expect somethings to go wrong. Sounds like you bought someone elses problem car. But now he has spent the $ he is almost happy with it, apart from Fuel economy.

Whats the 4.2 EFI designed for?? 4wding, Travelling like 1000's of others are happliy doing, weekday transport, etc.
AnswerID: 26963

Follow Up By: Luke - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 18:05

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 18:05
Yep, Truckster is right on my story - bought a 10+ YO swb Maverick - then had to spend a significant amount of money on repairs - clutch, head, suspension, welch plugs etc etc...... but hey - that's what you get with an old car. I guess the positive side is that I know these things have been done now and I'm comfortable they've been done properly.

Like Truckster said - I'm happy with the Maverick now - fuel economy is poor - but I love the performance characteristics of the TB42 swb. The actual cost per kilometre is pretty good - the only real concern I have regarding fuel consumption is limited range on a trip.......still working on that one :-)

Cheers,

Luke.
FollowupID: 18481

Follow Up By: uppy - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 18:51

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 18:51
1) regarding reseach,we only had a week to get a car ,as we live in rural aussie .So not much to choose from ,and no time to deals
2) Tyres - we blew 2 tyres in one day on main roads.
3) Petrol pump - just stopped, the car has only done 125000ks, this is only run in for a GQ.
4) I knew the petrol Patrols were thirsty and I'm not going to put in LPG.
5) We will be putting in a long range tank, but the cost of moving a family across the ditch puts a stop to that for a little while longer.
6) My Patrol in NZ was a 1991 so I know what to expect of a car that age.

I wasbleepoff about the pump for a few hours and a few beers later I posted on the forum. I'm going to keep the truck. As Tony says "better the devil you know". Thanks for the ear.
regards
Uppy
FollowupID: 18584

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 21:10

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 21:10
Uppy.

Could just be bad luck. Again 10 yr old car thigns go wrong. Someone sold their car as it was falling apart. You sell that one and buy another.. you could start it all again!

1) Bumma.

2) could happen to anyone - Ive seen NEW tires die within a week. We had Russell Green the Coopers rep come to club .. one guy tore him a new rectum, stating with Coopers he had 4 flats in 2 days... 2 at ONCE..(1 on car 1 on campertrailer) he stopped to fix it, his mate said, which 1 you changing first! he had to borrow tires to just get home!

3) It happens, and 125k klms is run in for a Diesel. Shouldnt be spit on a Petrol either.. but how do you know they are genuine klms? and How the car has been treated, has it ever had a fuel filter change?

4) Good move.

5) Im with you, I cant believe the cost of LRTanks... Check club magazines, or put wanted ads in Patrol club magazines. We had a second hand one in our mag last mth $550... new they are $870-950.

6) Diesel and Petrol different world.

Hey we have all had a lemon at some time in life, and its dies BLEEP you off to the bleep house... Specially when $$ are tight.

Where are you living now? You might get some listers travelling close by!
FollowupID: 18600

Follow Up By: uppy - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 21:30

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 21:30
Truckster
I'm living in Leeton NSW, if you're passing this way stop in for a drink. Thanks for the info on the LR tanks. Keep in touch.
cheers
Uppy
FollowupID: 18601

Reply By: Member - Bill- Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:43

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 17:43
uppy, if it's any consolation, it looks like most of your problems are typical service items for a vehicle that age, depending on milage. Petrol Patrols have never been known for great fuel economy. Rather than going LR what about gas? You get an extra tank (gas) and get better km per $.Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 26964

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 20:00

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 20:00
Gday guy
just watch your self when it comes to gas the government are about to bring the taxes up to the same rate as unleaded feul so the $ saving will go out the door
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 18498

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 23:31

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 23:31
Bruce, Sounds good to me, about time they did it... ;)~

Now they can lower taxes on Diesel adn Unleaded... .
. AS IF THAT WOULD EVER HAPPEN!!!!
FollowupID: 18524

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:40

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:40
truckster mate
i hope your not holding your breath Lol:)
FollowupID: 18554

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 19:45

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 19:45
Uppy,

they go like the clappers and are a tough rig, sounds like a few teething problems but as we say in the trade, "She's old mate, may have a few quirks, but when you tickle her she really goes."

Diesel rules, tyres, well they go off, and they dont just blow, wipers and fuel pumps go off too, get them done and you got a bulletproof drivetrain and a good tourer, get the long range tank and live with her for yearsSo many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 26976

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 22:03

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2003 at 22:03
Uppy,
Welcome to "The Club", one thing with fourbys there is "no gain without pain", the worst thing you can do now is get peeed off and sell it, maybe go the diesel, but before you start adding extras make sure you're happy with the petrol motor, economy etc etc. If you want to change and go to a diesel do it now before you spend mucho dolleros on accessories. What you are spending is normal ish, I wonder how you will feel when you brake something "having a go" that wasn't broken before you started, the first scratch, dent and mechanical accident are the most painful after that it's easy "ish".Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 26990

Reply By: TonyT - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:22

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:22
Just my 2 bobs worth, but I've a 1992 Jackaroo- pretty standard- 2nd owner- and have replaced fuel pump ($160) front shosks and just put oil in every 5K- this brilliant website told me just keep it well serviced, be prepared to pay for things as they broke/fell off or carked it due to wear and tear and old age- best advice I've had as now I just drive it anywhere I want to go and will be saving heaps over trading-up- "devil you know' sort of thing- cheers and saving for the new tyres- TonyT
AnswerID: 27018

Sponsored Links