Ford Explorer or not

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 21:14
ThreadID: 6435 Views:2420 Replies:12 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am after an honest opinion about second hand explorers. There are couple of rumours floating about but I need to know the opinion of ex owners and current owners. I am in 2 minds weather this will be the right move to purchase. I am price orientated so the Cruisers and patrols are out of reach.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:40

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:40
what do you want the car for?? Touring? Kids to school? etc??

what model are you talking about?
AnswerID: 27102

Reply By: Phil P - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:11

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:11
Hi Brad,

I have a friend with the 1999-2000 Model Explorer, The car has been faultless other than the tyre problem that Ford had. The tyres were recalled at no cost, but it took the dealer 4 attempts to get the wheel balancing right. The other problem occurred a couple of weeks ago and that was an oxygen sensor died and caused a light to come on the dash. It was easily fixed for a couple of hundred dollars.

The car is mainly used for City Driving & Touring with very little off road use. The car is finished off much better that the LC or Patrol in terms of creature comforts.

Regards
Phil P
AnswerID: 27127

Reply By: Eric - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:14

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:14
I am a whlesaler who purchaser a for Explorer for my brother inlaw about 2 years ago . We found the Explorer to be a ok vehicle on city driving with more than enough power to tow boats ect. He did find the seats very uncomfortable on long trips , & the lumber support did no help , we probablty stopped every Hr for there Family to have a stretch . Once we got to our first destination (around 800kms ) they were buggered , My wife and kids couldnt understand why . The other problems Nick had were , that once you hit the H/ way the trans overdrive light would come on reporting a trans code , ( Ford was no help on meny occations ) On off road trips the Exlorer is a no go , the Traction control system they have is useless . Every time one wheel looses traction the vehicle would stop , this almost made it a one wheel drive . I have some ausome footige of thi happening , on a small clime in Toorlangi one wheel lost traction and the vehicle just sliped backwards . All other vehicles vehilcle drove part this point with no effort ( including a rock stock Mitz. Challenger ) . At the end of the trip we were so sick of ussing the turfer on the Exlorer that we never invited him to another trip. After that trip his electical system was never the same also . I now sold it for him and put his bim in a Toyota Prado ( a very happy camper he is now ) .
If you can afford a Explorer then I assume that you have just under 20 k to spend , Try and get yourself a L/Cruiser or Patrol for that money , even my mates challenger is a bettr 4x4 vehicle than the Exlorer and are now under the 20 k mark . If you live in Melbourne i would be more than happy to help locate a vehicle to suit .

hope this is some help .
AnswerID: 27129

Follow Up By: Browny - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 16:57

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 16:57
Hi Eric,
Interesting story, but i would assume something was rong with the traction control, as my brother inlaw has one ( his wifes actually) and he managed to con his wife into letting him take it away for a weekend with "the boys" for a spot of 4wd in the Vic high country, his mates gave him heaps before departure about how the "Exploder" would be hopeless, and how they would be getting him out of trouble all weekend, and to make sure the credit card is empty for all the repairs that will be needed when he gets home....etc,etc.

That all stopped half way through the trip when the inlaw in the "Exploder" with road tyres, went straight up a very steep section of track first go, while his mate in a 100 series with 4" inch lift and m/t's took several goes with major effort to finally make it and avoid the ultimate shame of being "assissted" up by the Explorer, a GU allso took 3 attempts before being snatched past the difficult section.(All filmed by yours truly)

I must admit to being amazed by the Exploders performance that weekend, clearance was his only cause for concern, but never got stopped once, how it would fair with regular treatment like that might be another story.

Browny
FollowupID: 18654

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 17:28

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 17:28
Dribble,, get a life,, if I charged a lousey $10 for every time our Explorer has gotten a tojo/patrol out of trouble I would be filthy rich instead of just rich.
FollowupID: 18656

Follow Up By: Eric - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:39

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:39
I must admit I was angry at your response (the Publican) It wasnt my idea to dribble as you put it , I can only give you input from our experience , I do aprecciate that there may! have been a problem with the track control as mentioned by another member and I have recently sat in the new explorer with leather and thought it was a great improvement in comfort . This is what a forum is about , people giving there first hand experience and others making up there own mind . I thank you for your imput on how great your car is at pulling out other vehicle , but I would have prefured it without the abuse
Regards
FollowupID: 18661

Reply By: brad in West Aust - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:12

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:12
Thankyou for the response. I live in the Wheatbelt of Western Australia and the vehicle will do a lot of dirt road travel and small amounts of 4x4 work. I am after the vehicle that has the ground clearance and the aslo take a couple of knocks like 4x4 should take. You look in the city and all you see is large shopping trollies that mum and kids use to look good in.
My price range that I am looking at is around 26K and that would lead me to a 1999 Explorer or a early model Toyota, Patrol and Mitsubishi. My main concurn would be low miles. If the early model patrols are still good value at 100 000 km then they also could move to my list. I am unsure of Eastern State prices but I have heard they are a lot cheaper than they are here.
AnswerID: 27136

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:47

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:47
Brad
In that price range you could also consider a holden Jackaroo, V6 or diesel, good touring vehical, very confortable capable vehical for what you are after. Our work had a 1999 model explorer from memory and it was nothing but trouble(transmission & engine managment, the A/C stuffed up & cost heaps to fix), it spent heaps of time at the friendly ford dealer haveing stuff fixed on it, must say the dealer was very good & ford did support its warranty with no problem's, others have had a good run with them.

the Prado, pajero & Jackaroo are around the same size, you could also find a good jeep in that price range. hope you have fun finding somthing that suits you needs
jack
FollowupID: 18625

Follow Up By: Eric - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:43

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:43
, I think the $1000 transport cost has something to do with that
FollowupID: 18662

Reply By: fj45ute - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:06

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:06
Brad,

My father owned an 98 exploder from new, had heaps of factory recalls (including head-off at less than 10 000kms). Was used mostly for highway work and laps of cattle property in central Queenland. Never actually broke down while travelling but made him very nervous as the dash idiot lights flashed quite often for no real reason. Dealer just kept relpacing things under warranty, no real understanding of problem. Took to trips on Cape York towing boat trailer (1 to Cape Bedford near Hopevale and 1 to Lakefield NP) made it up and back taking things steady had to rescue him a couple of time with the crusier. Anyway once the value stop declining too rapidly he moved onto a Cruiser. Wouldn't buy one again, certainly without warranty.

Matt
AnswerID: 27147

Reply By: CLIVEB - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 15:17

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 15:17
I have purchased two patrols( Gq model) with 100,000 on the clock ,if they have been looked after they will go another 200,000 or more easily.
Better value by far in my opinion.
Regards
AnswerID: 27165

Reply By: ThePublican - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 17:22

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 17:22
Brad,so far all the answers you have recieved are 2nd /3rd/4th hand,and all bar one is unfavorable,, check the archives, you will find good reports on the Explorer and also an awfull load of -rap by people who have NEVER owned one or even driven one,, personally we have had our 97 since new ,, maintenance wise over the last 5 1/2 years has cost less than our previous 4x4s over 20 years,,go figure., tojo,patrol bias is out of control on this and other forums to the extent that it is very hard to find a TRUE answer to any query if it does not involve "Jap -rap "
AnswerID: 27176

Reply By: pilbaralad - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:15

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:15
I think the key words to think about are "ground clearance" if you are considering any real 4wding.
AnswerID: 27181

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 20:55

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 20:55
Brad, beware the explorer
A work mate has a 2000 xlt 130000kms, beautiful condition, and it is green. Dont buy a green one whatever you do! It has had everything go wrong from rear camchains to the drivers door not being able to be opened. (Bring back memories any previous or post owners of xd,e,f ?)
Wont open from outside or inside.....(this is the latest and is in at Ford being fixed now)
At our campsite, there is alot of sand beach, and it is a favourite place for great devide to teach newbies to drive in it.
We sit in our campchairs on the bank with our toy chooks and have a laugh and a drink. It is obvious these auto locking transfercases are not up to the pressure put on them in hard going. The trusty greatdevide t/d 80 pulls them out quicksmart.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 27192

Reply By: frank - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 22:31

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 22:31
As a owner of a 2001 explorer having done 64000km since new and having a family member also owning a 98 explorer having done @150000km since new i can only say that they are a terrific vehicle for general off road touring as i have done a number of trips in and around central australia and further north (some of which was towing off road camper)with no problems (bfg tyres fitted)and excellent fuel economy compared to similar size 4x4's.Attempting to compare serious 4 wheel driving capabilities with patrol/and cruiser etc is ridiculous as they are not intended for that but overall a great all round vehicle.I have spoken to many explorer owners over the years and found most more than happy with the vehicle. It seems the biggest critics of explorer are those who have never owned one
AnswerID: 27204

Reply By: John - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 16:17

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 16:17
I have owned a 2000 US model auto since new and now has 73000kms after towing a van around the block last year. Mostly good roads but some ordinary dirt ones as side trips. Ok on the dirt but can't comment on extreme conditions as that was not part of my scenario. Explorer performed very well as tow vehicle, which is its main use. No mechanical problems; it gets serviced regularly. Tyres replaced by Ford, no dramas. Unladen suspension could be better, but with a few kilos on board is great. Good power for a mid size 4wd, towing a van no problem. I think Cruiser and Patrols are in a bigger category. My only complaint is the 75l fuel tank, which is ridiculous for a 4wd in this country. It all depends on what you want to do with it.
AnswerID: 27453

Reply By: dogart - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:29

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:29
Brad

I am in the exact frame of mind as yourself
~$25000 to spend in 6months time.
What to get for the money hey!
Landcruiser would be nice but $$$
Pajero not enough room in the back.
Jackaroo (thats what I'm coming from 84LS)
not making any more and looks the same a bit thirsty too.
Prado would the other serious contender.
I've only heard good things so far.
Can get lucky an get 98 gxl with average k's for ~26+

Would be interested to know how you go.

cheers
wolf
perth
AnswerID: 27822

Sponsored Links