Roof rack wind deflector

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 21:17
ThreadID: 6436 Views:9864 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a ARB roof rack with mesh on top of my Pardo and it makes quite a bit of wind noise when the car goes over 70km, can someone tell me if the ARB wind deflector worth the money? The roof rack looks better without it and it is stick on with tape so it cannot be remove and reinstall easily, any comment will be appreciate.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:33

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:33
There was a thread on Roofracks while back and Awill4x4 Andrew Williams who makes Racks said something like they werent worth it..

Have a search of the archives.

Take off rack when not needed.... Save $$ on fuel too!
AnswerID: 27097

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:36

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:36
Allen
I have a TJM roof rack with mesh and wind deflector on a 100 series which makes no noise and the fellow down the road has the exact same but no wind deflector. The other day he asked, does the noise of the roof rack anoy me?, I told him that my rack makes no noise. He now has made a ply wind deflector and solved the problem. I would more than likley say this would be the some with the ARB rack. Make your wind deflector out of clear PVC and you won't notice it.

regards john
AnswerID: 27099

Reply By: relaxed QLD - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:36

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 22:36
I built my own roof rack out of 25mm box section aliminium and the wind noise was unbearable until I made and fitted a wind deflector, now it is as quiet as a mouse. For the sake of going baty from the noise factor, spend the money and get one, it will make all the difference.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 27100

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:52

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:52
do you think i could get some photos of you roof basket as im planning on doing the same (box alli). and if you could let me know how you secured it to your roof rack that would be good too.
FollowupID: 18626

Follow Up By: relaxed QLD - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 00:33

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 00:33
jonny
Can't help with the picy, I don't have a digital camera. Securing the rack is (as I've recently noticed on TJM roofracks) relatively simply. I used a length of 50 x 6 ali flat bar and profiled the curve of the inside gutter using a electric planner. Now, before you fall of your chair, it doesn't damage the planner at all. Aliminium is softer than some hard woods.
I used the same size flat bar to T off the rail to the rack which is 2m log,1200 wide and 150mm deep. The front of the rack is angled back at 45 degrees, but should have been a sharper angle, it just looks a little blunt. The floor bearers are about 350mm apart.
There are a number of ways to anchor the rack to the gutter. I used 2 bits of 20mm angle S/S welded together to clamp over the rail and provide a surface to put a bolt through with another piece of angle welded to it to grab under the gutter. The clamp idea is shaped a bit like this (TL) without the left side of the top of the T, the rail sits between the T and the L. I just had to grind off a bit of the excess overlap of the inside angle.
I,ve probably totally lost you with my discriptions, but thats about the best I can describe it to you in words. Iff you want I can do a drawing of the clamp and rack, scan it and e-mail it to you.
Happy welding
Relaxed
FollowupID: 18697

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 23:15

Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 23:15
Allen,

Coincidently I have the same problem. I used to have Rhino racks and basket which were light but noisy when empty and I thought a bit flimsy for some of my remote trips.. Because they were light I tokk them off after every trip.

I since bought an ARB rack without mesh and that is noisy also when going ober 80kph. Because I am going away every six weeks at the moment and because of the weight I have left it on but is driving me crazy. Today I bougt the ARB deflector and will fit over the weekend and try it out. Stay tuned and keep the money in ya pocket for the time being and I will reply when fitted.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 27107

Reply By: joc45 - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 00:40

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 00:40
I had a steel rack (square 20mm tubing) on my GQ, which made a fair bit of noise unladen, but quite good laden.
So when I made one for my GU, I fitted 50mm steel mesh to the floor of it; no noise. I don't need a deflector.
The problem lies in the undamped tubing resonating.
Gerry
AnswerID: 27119

Reply By: Member - Kim (mr) - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:55

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:55
Allen, we have a ARB roofrack on our patrol with a wind deflector on it and i dont even know its there, we use a bit more fuel but nothing worth crying over. I havent driven with the racks without the deflector so i cant give you a comparason.More drive'n less talk'n
AnswerID: 27134

Reply By: Member - Geoff - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:23

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:23
Re: Noise from Roof Racks,

I have three "rhino" bars across the roof of the disco and at 80k's they resonate quite well irrespective of of what they seem to carry.
The resonation is the carry bars themselves "organ pipe". "G#"
Cure: place two pieces of sponge in the ends of each of the bars which will stop the pipe resonating.
AnswerID: 27137

Reply By: Member - Chris (Wollongong) - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:06

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:06
ARB 3/4 Roof Rack with no wind deflector - No wind noise noticeable!!!!!!
AnswerID: 27146

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 22:00

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 22:00
Allen,

As promised I said I would update you. I re-read your post and realize you have a problem at 70Kph. I only had a problem at 90kph plus. Anyway this may help. I fitted the wind deflector and gained only marginal improvement. I then sat back with a cuppa and thought about it a while and thought maybe the aerodynamics off the windscreen and the relationship to the rack position could be a problem.

I moved the rack back 3" so that the legs are as far back as they can go without dropping off the back drip gutter. I also put a bet of silicone in the Roof Rack load distribution channel while I was at it.

It has made a big difference. I don't think you will ever get rid off it but it is certainly a huge improvement. I think the noise now is just a bit of turbulence between the hollow bars which you will never get rid of.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 27290

Sponsored Links