worth the investment?

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 07, 2003 at 23:55
ThreadID: 6439 Views:2209 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Long range tank -190lt $1000
Suspention upgrade-$1000
duel weel carrier- $2000

For a trip (8months - 2 years) aorund oz in std 80 series is this worth the inwestment or should I put this money into making the trip longer?
I plan to cross 6 or more desert tracks
Anne Bedell
Canning s/r
Simpson
Tanini track etc
I also plan to keep the truck for another 8-9 years. Ps I have campertrailer, Roller _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and Engel so the suspention already needs a looking at.Have 4WD will Explore
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:00

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:00
I reckon.
Suspension you'll do anyway.
Wish I'd gone the dual wheel carrier initially.
LR Tank you could probably live without but what the heck.Next Trek - Callawa Rd
AnswerID: 27121

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 07:24

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 07:24
Long Range tank is a lot easier than having to carry 5 jerry cans for the same amount.

Suspension for sure and maybe carry spare shocks.

Roof bars will carry your extra spare.
AnswerID: 27123

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:54

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:54
Hi Rox
The fuel tank is a necessary evil when going off the main drag, bad fuel will end up costing more in the long run. If you do the fuel, then the rear bar is a must aswell, unless you want to put the spares on the roofrack and hope...i would put a rhs rear carrier on so you can get in the rear without opening it, and the second spare would go on the roofrack(tyre only).Tubes under the rear seat.
If you were looking for preloved equipment, there is quite a bit floating around. I would expect you could get all your after for $1500
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 27140

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:33

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:33
I agree with Andrew on the LRT.
LRT is a must, anything can happen, getting stuck somewhere, break down etc, unplanned detours... if you were planning on being somewhere and didnt make it and ran out..... Jerry cans are a PITA.

Id go with the rear bar, but I see the asking prices of them as obscene. $2000?? I think you could have a custom one made for under $1000 if you tried! Roofracks suck.

The suspension depends on teh condition of the gear you have now, but it wouldnt hurt to have your car in its best condition when you started out would it!?
FollowupID: 18629

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:27

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 12:27
LRT Yep
Suspension Yep

Dual Wheel Carrier - nup.

I would assume that the vehicle and the trailer run on the same wheels (if not they should). You will have 2 spares between them.

Throw a spare tyre carcus(or 2) in somewhere (on a roof rack if needed) and a set of tyre pliers.
AnswerID: 27153

Reply By: The Moose - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 13:26

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 13:26
Re LRT: For a diesel it's probably questionable. Why not calculate the longest section you plan to cover on your trip then add a safety margin of say 10% to both distance and consumption? If you'll only be a few litres short a jerry would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Of course if the vehicle is a petrol then a LRT is almost a must. I have one and I wouldn't be without it. But I have managed the Canning when I used to own a diesel 80 with just the standard tanks and a couple of jerries.
Good suspension is essential.
Dual wheel carriers - given the trailer you'd be better off ensuring it and vehicle have same wheels and tyres then as suggested by others you wouldn't need the dual carrier. Don't forget that you'll be adding a hell of a lot of weight behind the rear axle if you have LRT, dual carrier and trailer. No matter how good your suspension that couldn't be too good for the vehicle.
AnswerID: 27159

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:07

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 18:07
Long Range Tank a must for outback travel

Suspension upgrade a must if your vehicle is heavily laden or you tow a trailer.

Dual wheel carrier nonessential and you will be putting far too much weight behind the rear axle. Carry a spare casing when doing remote travel and if you do not have a roofrack then tie it to the bullbar or carry it on the trailer.

Happy hunting !
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 27180

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 20:02

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 20:02
Rox,

We have a Longranger 166L rear tank on 80 series GXL, cost $1100 a few years ago, and have never regretted spending the loot. Returned today from Mt Isa, a round trip of over 1100 kms, and we still have 3/4 of main tank left. Didn't bother filling in the Isa, as I want to drain the auxilary, before a trip to Kakadu in Sept.

Fitted H/D springs all round, and feel some suspension up date is mandatory, the way tojo gear is, after a few hard clicks.

Have regetted not fitting dual carrier, instead of single, but will live with spare case or two, on roof rack, when we start some long journeys.

If you are keeping the truck for that many years, then tank and suspension will pay for themselves.

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 27187

Reply By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 22:59

Friday, Aug 08, 2003 at 22:59
with dual wheel carrier you can dismantle LH side and refit for long trips to keep weight down in normal weekend situations.
I have LR tank from 4WD Systems and didn't cost anywhere near that much. No problems at all for me so far with it.Next Trek - Callawa Rd
AnswerID: 27211

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:17

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:17
Allyn,

Have been thinking of a LRT for mine for a while. Was it as easy to fit as 4wd Systems they say in their ads? Was it the 190 litre that replaces the sub tank? Any loss of clearance. Most tank manufactures say no loss of clearance, but I am sceptical when you actually see some of them fitted up.Cheers,
Wazza
----------------------
FollowupID: 18705

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:19

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:19
Wazza, i might be bias but the Out of town 170 is a work of art, and does not encroach on departure angle. It does not fit as many litres as the 190, but the 190 seems to hang a little lower behind the diff.
There is a little bit of mucking around to do with installation, more to do with bending float arms and extending wiring than anything else. All bolt holes are already there on the cruiser chassis minus two 8mm holes that i dont think would matter too much if they were left out (which would mean only 2 bolts instead of 3 to hold each rear corner bracket)
i drilled them on mine with the bracket in place as a guide, no problems.
Then you just need to fill it up.....
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 18721

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:56

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:56
Wazza,
Yes it was 190 Litre sub tank replacment and it takes about 4 hours to fit although I must confess to grabbing a days overtime and getting someone else to fit it. That way I'm doing what I know and he's doing what he knows best (hopefully). Good argument for insurance having it professionally fitted too.
Didn't mess with float etc so fuel gauge doesn't move until at same capacity remaining as previous tank. I know I've got 350 km's left at that stage plus the other tank so I reckon I'll be able to make it to next servo. My tank cost $765 (free delivery to Perth).
I have absolutely no loss of clearance (have just checked and can send photos if you wish) with front section of tank sitting higher than diff filling plug and tank angling upwards to rear and sitting level with base of towbar attachment. When you think of how pathetic clearance was with the spare tyre sitting under there then it's an obvious improvement regardless. I also manage to get much more than 190 Litres in there too.
Any further questions - just ask allyn@wn dotcomdotauNext Trek - Callawa Rd
FollowupID: 18722

Follow Up By: wazza - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 14:54

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 14:54
Dozer, yeah saw the article in 4wd Monthly on fitting a Long Ranger. Looks like it's quite easy, maybe an afternoon jobbie.
FollowupID: 18736

Reply By: Big John (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 23:15

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 23:15
Rox
LRT's are great, top them up when ever fuel is cheep and save heaps on fuel costs.

john

PS Forget the duel wheel carrier, as some one else said you camper should have the same wheels and be carring its own spare.
AnswerID: 27300

Sponsored Links