Adjusting hilux IFS

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:35
ThreadID: 6456 Views:9782 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am replacing the front shocks on my 99 IFS D/C Hilux and have been told to adjust the torsion bars at the same time to get the vehicle level again as it is beginning to sag to the passenger side (after 95,000kms). I have the gregories manual so I am OK I think but if anyone out there has performed the same operation, is there anything I need to be aware of, or are there any points I need to pay particular attention to? I was planning on replacing the shocks with foam cell 'tough dogs' - are these OK?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 13:27

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 13:27
hi shaun,
adjusting tortion bars are very easy.
park the car on flat level ground and take a measurement.
i usually measure from the chassis just under the front seats where the body bolts on.
think of what you normally cary and see if the front needs to go up or down.
measure the drivers side if the passenger side is sagged and wind the bolt a few mm more than the passanger side because the passenger side will also rise a little.
keep doing that till you get it right.
i usually run the drivers side a couple of mm more if mainly only one person in it.
and dont forget to get a wheel alignment aqs soon as possible because it will be way out..
good luck its not hard
got over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
AnswerID: 27257

Follow Up By: Slammin - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 23:46

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 23:46
Diamond I was always told to jack the car and then adjust, is this necessary? Also if both sides have been adjusted the same amount is the alignment likely to also be out?
Shaun FWIW I have made a notch on the bolt (face?) to make it easier to count the number of turns I have made. Also if the underside has been rustproofed make sure the thread is clean so it doesn't get stuck, TJM had a major hassle trying to remove one of mine to put in the new bars. It never did budge..........SNAP.
FollowupID: 18789

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 00:46

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 00:46
gday slammin.
i use impact gun at work when adjusting tortion bars so its not to hard.
lifting the front of the car will make it eassier to adjust as the weight is of the bars but the only problem i can see with that is if the car hasnt settled back down to ride height you will get false readings.
as soon as you turn the tortion bars your cambers alter so i would recomend wheel alignment to get them spot on againgot over no fraser.
get on with life(more weekend fun)
FollowupID: 18791

Follow Up By: Slammin - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:48

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 21:48
Cheers Diamond, Ive always wanted to adjust without lifting up and down as it's not hard to spin the bolt, saves a lot of hassle this way.
FollowupID: 18847

Reply By: Burnie - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 15:36

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 15:36
Iv`e tryed Ironman Foam Cell shocks on my Hi-Lux, they worked unreal, Havnt heard anything good about Tough Dog.

Most gas shocks are not sufficiant on torsion bar front hiluxes, they get a bit bouncy, Foam Cells are the way to go.

The Iron man web site is www.ironmansuspension.com
AnswerID: 27445

Reply By: andy - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 18:16

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 18:16
I adjusted mine with the weight off the vehicle and it was a little bit of a haslle as I had to drop the car move it a little and then measure the height. Took a while but got it right in the end. You can get a fair bit of lift out of them. I never noticed a difference in ride quality. Some have said that lifting compramises something or other. Just didnt notice anything. I went with the OME nitrocharger shocks front and rear to match the height change (beefed up the rear springs to carry more weight and to give 2 inches of lift). I have done 92,000 so far and the front has just sagged a little again. May be wearing them out a bit. I have got a heap of extras up front so the weight load would be a lot. The lux is carrying Steel bar with winch, side rails, steps (all steel) long range tank, dual batterys and a few extra under bonnett goodies and so far the torsion bars have handled it really well. Dont upgrade them unless they dont work. Mine did handle the extra weight and I saved the money on getting aftermarket bars. Mine is a 99 dualcab diesel.
AnswerID: 27470

Reply By: Hatcher - Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:16

Thursday, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:16
Hi Shaun,

This reply might be a bit late but still of use. I had a 4Runner with IFS and when I fitted Rancho 9000 shocks and tortion bars I returned to the supplier (Auto alliance)not impressed with the ride quality, the truck was bouncing around all over the place and was bordering on leathal. The guy from Auto Alliance took a look under the front end and pointed to the lower bump stops on the wishbone. In my attempt to level the 4Runner out and increase ground clearance, I had jacked it up too far and was driving on the bump stops hence the dangerous handling. Once I lowered it to the maximum allowed height of 15 inches from the top of the wheel rim to the guard, this should be about the same for your Hilux. Cranking the bars too high will also put extra strain on your CV's
AnswerID: 27855

Sponsored Links