Brake problems

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 19:15
ThreadID: 6461 Views:1396 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 60 series diesel wagon Just did a brake overhaul ie new pads in front new shoes and cylinders to the rear all bled ok The problem I have is that without the engine running good high hard pedal. WITH the engine running the pedal slowly goes all the way to the floor when pressed (slowly), I then changed the master cylinder thinking it could be this but still the same I have taken off the vacuum line to the booster and there is plenty of vacuum being pulled. Has anyone any ideas ???? Could it be still trapped air in system and with the boost the trapped air is compressing allowing the pedal to travel to the floor or a crook booster maybe any comments would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil R - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 20:18

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 20:18
If things were ok before then it looks like it's something you have done, check for
air in the system also check rear shoe adjustment

phil
AnswerID: 27278

Reply By: mitch - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 21:35

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 21:35
Have you considered taking your vehical to a qualified person before you drive through someone or something ?This approach could save you alot more than just money.

Regards Mitch ( a quailified mechanic )
AnswerID: 27287

Follow Up By: john - Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 22:38

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 22:38
Good advice mitch - brakes are too important to be fiddled with on a hit and miss, trial and error approach!
FollowupID: 18779

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 23:33

Saturday, Aug 09, 2003 at 23:33
Greenant
If there is no oil leaking anywhere, it is most probably air, especially if you have let the fluid all leak out with the rear shoes/cylinder changes and then the new master aswell.
Start at the master with both outlets off, and with fingers over the outlets (to act as one way valves), start pumping the air out. (Have even seen people put tubes on back to the reservoir to stop the mess.)
Then its on to the next joints at the proportion valve,(at the bottom of the booster) loosen top one first and pump fluid till no more air comes out, then on to the next joint, then front brakes, then rear.
If the brake pedal is better, take it to a brake pro and get it done again to be sure.
Andrew

wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 27303

Reply By: Member - Graham - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:57

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:57
Greenant,
It sounds that air is still in the system, if most has been drained during the service
air can remain in the highpoints of the lines. Doing the at home method doesn't keep a continual flow to help push the air through, it tends to get back to the highpoints. The solution for this is the local brake joint and have it pressure bled.
This where they use an adaptor, attach it to the resivour loosen bleeders and at low pressure can push fluid through the system with a continual flow taking the air with it.
AnswerID: 27337

Sponsored Links