Knowledge of under bonnet

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 11:54
ThreadID: 6473 Views:1447 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
As there has been a lot of intense discussion lately about this engine & that engine & this oil & that oil I was prompted to post something with a bit of humor and following is the text of an email I once recieved.
=======================================
email Quote:

A few days ago I was having work done at my local garage.
A lady came in who had a reputation for making her hair very light in colour
and asked for a seven hundred and ten thing.
We all looked at each other and another customer asked,
"What in the world is a seven hundred and ten?"
She replied, "You know, the part thats right in the middle of the
engine, I have lost the one I had and need a new one."
She explained that she did not know what it does, but this
piece had always been there and she thought she should have it replaced.
He gave her a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what
it looked like. She drew a circle and in the middle of it wrote 710.
Still confused, he then took her over to another car which
had its hood up and asked "is there a 710 piece on this car?" She
pointed
> > and said, "Of course, its right there." Right then, we were all reminded
> > of who we were dealing with.
>>
>>
>> 710 flipped vertically spells OIL
>> the nice lady was looking at the oil filler cap.
>> apparantly her Father or Husband neglected to teach her everything when being taught to drive.
========================================
Get out there and use it.
Life is too short not to.
All the best...
Donald
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:48

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 12:48
Yep, a friends girlfriend once filled up the engine with oil. Servo took her money for the pints, but the motor didnt run for long, stalling in the driveway.
Another friends mum tried to fill up the motor with water from the hose....
Im sure there are other male examples aswell.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 27336

Reply By: Member - Willem- Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 13:01

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 13:01
Good on ya Donald..that really got us laughing on this snowy day in Peterborough.SA.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 27338

Reply By: CirclingVulture - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 20:35

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 20:35
About 15 years ago a friend of the ex come over for a visit and was saying how she had blown the motor in her car. I asked how the hell could that happen, your car is fairly new and you drive like a nun, she answer, well there was a red light on the dashboard for a year and I didn't know what it was. She had been driving the thing without water for that long.
AnswerID: 27374

Reply By: Paul - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 22:34

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 22:34
Hi, When I lived in Rocky about 15 years ago now I was friends with a bloke called Vince that had a small garage. One day another friend of Vinces came in with his old 180y. His name was Les and he was a second dealer. Les was pretty rough and ready and didn't care too much for the niceties of life. I remember his house yard being crammed with junk. Anyway Les complained to Vince that his front end was making a bit of noise and the old 180y wasn't stopping too well either.
Vince put the car up on the hoist and low and behold the front disc rotors were rattling around the axles. What had happened was that the pads had worn away over time and the metal parts behind had eventually cut the discs off.
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can be almost competely oblivious to mechanical malfunction in their vehicles.
Paul
AnswerID: 27395

Follow Up By: David N. - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:20

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:20
There's a disc Rotor under the counter at my local wreckers... one pad wore down to metal, driver kept driving. Still ignoring the scraping, grinding noise he (or she!) kept driving and driving till the brakes finally stopped working completely.
Result? One rotor surface completely worn through (gone!) AND half way through the ventilation vanes as well ie: the disc rotor was effectively less than half it's original thickness.
You've really gotta wonder about some people.
I'm even amazed by the story in the latest "Road Ahead" (RACQ) magazine. In one of the stories by a regular writer, he admits that at 39 he does not have a drivers licence.... but he HAS recently passed his written test and now does have a learners. That's right, 39years old, writing for a motoring magazine and does not know how to drive.... can you believe it? Maybe I should be writing articles for a nuclear science mag!
FollowupID: 18868

Reply By: Justin - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:44

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 12:44
I had a "friend" try and fill his supra with oil. 8 litres later he claimed it still didn't have enough but he tried starting it any way. The thing ran ran like crap for a minute and died. My Girlfriend at the time asked if he was checking the dipstick correctly. The reply came back - Dipstick, i was just filling it untill i could see it was full to the top.
AnswerID: 27438

Sponsored Links