Reversing Camera for 4WD & Caravan ??

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 10:51
ThreadID: 64766 Views:11377 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm buying a new caravan in March and I'm considering getting a reversing camera system, ideally with two cameras, one on the back of the 4WD & one on the rear of the caravan. Can anyone recommend any makes.
Doug
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:57

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:57
I have that exact set-up. A few of us on this forum got together about 3 or 4 years ago and did a small bulk-buy of the Poron set-up. This has now been incorporated with and is sold as "Polaris".

The only real difference with my system is that I have 2 x infrared cameras, whereas the "normal" package they sell has a infrared camera for the c/van and a non-infrared camera for the vehicle. I think the reasoning for that is that the 4x4 will have it's reversing lights to make the view visible at night, whereas the c/van won't.

Anyway, the system works very well indeed. I have installed mine so that the camera is NOT operated only when in reverse gear. The style rig I drive, means that I have no other means of seeing what is directly behind me (due to the large cargo box which has no windows), so I keep the camera on all the time when I'm driving. I still rely heavily on the side mirrors to see what is coming up behind me from afar, as the cameras have wide angle lenses, which means you can't see anything that is more than about 40 meters behind.

The one on the 4x4 is perfectly positioned for reversing up to the trailer; no more arguments with "mum" about left or right or how far to the coupling etc.....

The coily cord between the 2 vehicles is very robust.

I would steer clear of the cordless camera set-ups; too many stories of interference etc.

Cheers and good luck

Roachie
AnswerID: 342411

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 13:44

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 13:44
i fully agree with Roachie I have a Polaris screen and mini cam on my car and another minicam on the van. Have tried infra red and didnt like the one I had. After all how many times do we travel at night with the van on. If you can position the car cam to see the towbar its ideal for reversing up to your van. Mine was good then I put a spare wheel carrier on so had to mount it a bit off centre. Is ok for hooking up but wheel interferes with vision to the left side somewhat.

In the 100 series you can remove the inner covers on the top tailgate and feed the camera lead thru the existing loom.
A bit of slippery on the cable and it pulls thru ok. makes it better as no catching on door when opening.

Camera can be mounted on bottom of door between number plate lights. Might have to use a spacer to clear door lip as in pic

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 342416

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:23

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 14:23
Doug,

This is my setup for a single camera. Purchased the kit off Ebay and installed it myself.
Screwed a small bracket to the top of the inside of the tailgate for the camera and ran the wiring through the side panels. Used the rear 12v socket for power.
Didn't worry about the reversing wire as I have the camera on all the time I am driving. The 120degree camera covers the blind spots the side mirrors miss and also covers pretty close to to the tow bar. Great for backing up to the Treg coupling. Have one of those monitors that fits over the rear view mirror. I only have a small hard top camper which I don't use much so have not fitted a second camera.

AnswerID: 342420

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:36

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 20:36
Douglas B,

I have a Sidewinder from ABR, the kit comes with 2 cameras, monitor all wiring etc easy to set up. I have found it is pretty good.

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/pages85.html
AnswerID: 342473

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 02:05

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 02:05
Hi Douglas, we have a Nessa set up with ours, we have the two cameras, one for the car and one for caravan, we have a screen that fits into the dash of our vehicle, when we switch off the vehicle the screen slides neatly into the dash and looks like any ordinary radio, however saying that the screen also covers for the GPS, dvd/cd players as well. Great setup, we are very happy with it, it was bought and fitted by Car Stereo City in Cannington.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 342516

Reply By: Douglas B - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:18

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:18
Thanks Guys, there's a number of good suggestions there, most of which appear to be just what I'm lookiong for. I'll have to do some research.
Doug
AnswerID: 342546

Sponsored Links