travelling with kids round oz

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:43
ThreadID: 64770 Views:3533 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi, I'm needing some advice. I would like to travel around Australia with my 2 children and a dog. I love to travel, and I'm giving myself a year to prepare. I'm on my own, so won't be going too remote. Is this possible, or too dangerous for a mum and her kids? Any feedback I would love, Cheers. I have been laughed at so far!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:48

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 15:48
Read the article on this site about travelling with kids, it contains a heap of info and from they you can determine what additional questions you may have.

Have fun planning, this site has a lot to offer in the way of trip planning also.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342431

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:04

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 16:04
We met a couple of Mothers Travelling with their kids, one of them had a Mazda 323 with all the gear including tent. She was staying in Caravan parks and the family was having a ball.

The other had a smallish camper trailer and had 4 kids. They all had their own Plastic box with cover with all their own gear and it was their job to get themselves organised. They were also staying in Van Parks.

Ages ranged from about 12 down to 6 or so.

They had done about 40% of a round aus trip and The Mum was self schooling the lot.

They were a happy lot.

I would recommend that you do the Caravan parks on the trip, but be aware that many of them don't allow dogs.

http://www.takeabreak.com.au/HolidayingwithPets.htm

This is one site with pet friendly accommodation there are many others.

AnswerID: 342433

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:41

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 17:41
Hi,

Sorry you have been laughed at, If I had listened to the so called experts I wouldn't have had half the life I have had!!!! We are doing the trip (me my hubby and 2 girls 6 & 8 yrs old - we have been on the road 2 months now and are loving it.............. Yes some days are challenging and home schooling can be a real challenge. We do a lot of free camping and generally find others pull in and we all stick together - being a full time "Vannie" now we have discovered another side to the human race - 85% of "vannies" are wonderful and the kids get on really well with the grey nomads - they remind them of their own grand children!!!! its a great life and we don't regret anything - feel free to contact me at carolinehys@yahoo.com.au if you have ANY questions or concerns.

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 342442

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:04

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 18:04
Hi guys,
We were just thinking of you the other day,wondering how you were going. Where are you at the moment? Yesterday was our 2 yrs on the road anniversary. I agree with your comments about Travellers sticking together and the kids talking to the grey nomads. We have had several surarrogate grandparents as we have travelled. Hope you have a wonderful new year and may it be full of adventure and fun. To your kids: Did Santa find you ok on the road????
Have fun and enjoy

Josh,Maree,Julia and Jasmine
FollowupID: 610142

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:17

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:17
Sister did a half lap last year with her younger son (12y.o.) - 4wd and camper. Son had some assignments from school I think but they said what I heard many others say who do this type of thing - children benefit greatly in learning from the experience. All up it proved a fantastic experience. Only boring, one track mind conformists (and concerned rellies, friends I guess) laugh. Go for it!
AnswerID: 342458

Follow Up By: elementna9 - Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:33

Saturday, Jan 03, 2009 at 19:33
I thank you all for your feedback! Now I really am convinced to put my plan into action. I guess my main concern was being the single mum with 2 little ones travelling alone. However, having travelled across the nullabor a couple of times, I have meet very few nasty people. Majority are wonderful people, and one thing I look forward to, is meeting new people. I figure If I stick to caravan parks and secure areas we should be fine. Cheers!
FollowupID: 610149

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:19

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:19
Don't know why people would laugh at you...they're probably jealous!

Just drive to your ability and that of your car and you and kids will have the time of your life.

AnswerID: 342514

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:24

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:24
If you are thinking of having a go.... do it!
If you don't you will always wonder whether you missed the chance.

Travelling with kids is easy if they are happy normal kids. Be prepared for bad times as well as good.

You didn't say how old the children are, but education will need to be considered. It's quite appropriate to negotiate with them to start school again at a lower level... i.e. miss a year if necessary.

I would think long and hard about the dog though. I love dogs, but the dog will limit the places you can stay and will need to be restrained most of the time.

Good luck
AnswerID: 342534

Sponsored Links