stone guard

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:06
ThreadID: 64795 Views:5647 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The handyman hubby is looking for suggestions for making a stone guard to protect the front of our van (Jayco Outback sterling) which is fibreglass and easily marked by stones. There isn't a lot of room on the drawbar so would prefer it to be removable or fold forward to enable access of boot items, or alternatively something which adhers to the van. Any Ideas and photos would be appreciated please.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:41

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 10:41
Check out this thread Stone guard/deflectors and Camper Trailer Tech Tips
AnswerID: 342537

Follow Up By: HeatherG - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:12

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:12
Hi Rod,
couldnt open the stoneguard/deflectors one - keeps saying address is wrong, however have checked out the camper trailer one. Thanks, some interesting stuff on there. We covered the rear window of the vehicle with flattened out beer cartons last year when we travelled - another reason to make sure there is always a spare one, according to the hubby!
FollowupID: 610228

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 14:20

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 14:20
G'day HeatherG. Messed up the link. Try this Mudflaps/stone deflectors This is from the Site Search function at the top right of the page.
FollowupID: 610243

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:31

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:31
Heather, you may get some ideas from my replacement stone guard.

The original was metal plate and just covered the gas bottles. I bent it during a slow reversing manouvre that involved a little jack knifing...

I got the local alloy fabricator to bend this up for me:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

I used two dolly wheel brackets to attach it to the drawbar. I cut off part of the handle and welded a wheel nut onto it:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

This way it is adjustable or completely removeable.

I then got a local upholsterer to make the mesh screen.

Even if I do say so myself, I reckon it's a vast improvement over a piece of sheet metal.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342548

Follow Up By: HeatherG - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:04

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:04
Gone Bush,
that looks interesting and something similar may work for us according to the handyman! Thanks HeatherG
FollowupID: 610226

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 13:18

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 13:18
I'll have to get moving on a plan for stones too, re an upcoming van project in May - my thoughts up till now with various guards on two different styles of camper traiker has to let the stones "have their freedom".....that is....deflect them and send them on their way, as opposed to stopping their progress. On some roads, there is a constant shower of stones trying to hit everything back there. My current method is that of the shadecloth 'trampoline' - a number of others here use that type too - not ideal re access to the vehicle and van storgae, but can be walked on where it rests on the A frame etc. - cheap to replace too - reasonably quick to put on and off with ockies. Keeps the stones underneath - less to worry about re tow vehicle windows and duco - they can fly out the rear and the sides.... The only rear window I have ever broken was when using a framed, upright/tilted type stone guard - a stray rock must have bounced off the frame.
AnswerID: 342568

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 14:15

Sunday, Jan 04, 2009 at 14:15
Heather, i have a collection of photos of people's stone guard which i can email to you if you give me an address. Most are home made.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342579

Reply By: Mandrake - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:45

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:45
Just a thought -

If you made a solid rubber mudflap and then cut the flap into
say 1/2 inch or 1 inch strips ?? Would that work like the brush one s and would it be strong enough not to break where the cut ends ?

Rgds

Steve
AnswerID: 342687

Sponsored Links