Snatch Strap Comparison.

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 17:33
ThreadID: 6481 Views:6153 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everbody,
I have just finished reading the latest comparision on 16 different snatch Staps in the latest "4wd Monthly" mag.

Boy!! It is a shock to see some of the brands available on the market, and how they faired in the test.

I'm fortunate that the strap that I bought a few months ago does very well under test.
But! what about the others that didn't do very well and there are some "big brand" names that didn't.
HYPOTHETICAL.
If you have purchased one of the brands that did not do well in the controlled test,
and you haven't used it wouldn't you be entitled to return it and ask for your money back?

Thank you "4wd..." for being honest with us folk.

Can I suggest that all you folks go and read the article.

I think I'll snatch it now,

Geoff.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 19:06

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 19:06
Goes to show that dearest is not always best hey. I read it too. Just a note. with the ARB straps they did mention that the strap itself wasn't the weak point it was the stitching but that still doesnt help when you need the sucker. Mine too faired quite well but I pity anyone who shops at super cheap. The stitching weakness should be a message to us all. Look after your strap so the stitching doesn't weaken or rot due to contaminants or poor storage. Food for thought.
AnswerID: 27363

Follow Up By: charlie - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:02

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:02
The blue and grey one from kaymar was also sold at Super Cheap. I saw a few a few weeks ago and there were none there yesterday when I went back (wonder why). I think they were around the 60 -70 dollar mark from memory. Might ask if they have any more. The other crappy Super Cheap onces, I agree, would not like to rely on one.
FollowupID: 18939

Follow Up By: charlie - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:03

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 23:03
The blue and grey one from kaymar was also sold at Super Cheap. I saw a few a few weeks ago and there were none there yesterday when I went back (wonder why). I think they were around the 60 -70 dollar mark from memory. Might ask if they have any more. The other crappy Super Cheap onces, I agree, would not like to rely on one.
FollowupID: 18940

FollowupID: 18941

FollowupID: 18942

FollowupID: 18943

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 23:15

Sunday, Aug 10, 2003 at 23:15
Now the 'other' mag will do the same, and come up with a 100% different result as they usually do...

I say dont believe anything you read...

I've used my ARB one for 18mths never had a problem, and going to buy another tomorrow!

And no you wouldnt be entitled to your $$ back!
AnswerID: 27401

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:36

Monday, Aug 11, 2003 at 08:36
Isn't the winning 8000kg Kaymar snatch strap the same as the Super Cheap Auto 8000kg strap. The only difference is the colour . Even the stiching are looking similar and packaging has same picture.
Both snatch straps came out with good figures but Kaymar was better .
This only shows you that there is not 2 straps that are the same , even from same manufacture.
AnswerID: 27409

Reply By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 13:19

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 13:19
personally I wouldn't say any (apart from one of the Super Cheap ones) failed as such. Some of the straps failed to meet their indicated rating but would still be more than adequate to pull out even heavy 4WDs such as patrols and cruisers...
AnswerID: 27582

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 13:23

Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003 at 13:23
and yes, I would say there is quite a bit of variation between individual straps of the same make...but presumably 4WD Monthly could only afford a sample size of one per make so we have no idea of how significant 'within make' variation is compared to 'between make' variation. Regardless, 4WD Monthly should be commended for undertaking relatively in-depth reviews of products. So-called product reviews in other 4WD mags are a joke - usually just a summary of manufacturer information...
FollowupID: 18986

Reply By: Member - Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:02

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003 at 22:02
4WD M just sent out a correction

Firstly, the Don Kyatt Terrain Tamer 11,000kg strap was listed on page 23 as being ‘Recommended’,
when this should have read ‘Highly Recommended’.

Secondly, the TJM 8,000kg strap
was listed as being ‘Recommended’,
whereas this should have read ‘Not Recommended’.

Interesting eh
So many places to go!
So much work to do :0(
AnswerID: 27810

Sponsored Links