Prado Susp

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:29
ThreadID: 64824 Views:2243 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy All. In regards to Toyota new car warranties.
Can the owner of a 2008 Prado, have , installed by an autherized ARB Suspension Dealer, an after market Suspension set up incorperating a 50mm lift without jeperdizing the Warranty. The poor bloke who owns it got hung up a few times on the weekend and a few bits behind. Does anybody reliably know. Aparrently the owner has been advised by the people he purchased it from that he cant.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:24

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:24
Hi. I have a Prado, and the warranty says that, where the vehicle has been modified, "The Toyota New Vehicle Warranty will continue to apply to original components providing they have not been altered or adjusted in any way". In other words, if you fit ARB bits, the Toyota warranty will still apply to the genuine (Toyota) bits, as long as the fitment of ARB bits doesn't create the need for the repair to Toyota components.
But the Toyota warranty only covers you for "normal use and operation", and not for "misuse".
So, you have two warranties, the Toyota one, and the ARB one, and each one will say "Act the eejit, and you're on your own."
As long as you can show that the fitment of ARB after-market parts did not contribute to the problem , you're (theoretically) covered under the Toyota warranty.
That;'s my understanding, anyway.

Chris
AnswerID: 342693

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:29

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:29
I said "As long as you can show that the fitment of ARB after-market parts did not contribute to the problem , you're (theoretically) covered under the Toyota warranty.".
But that is dependent on your claim being for failure of the Toyota components under "normal use and operation".
..... An important rider, perhaps.
FollowupID: 610382

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy (Bororen) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:11

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 12:11
When Dad bought his 100 series, he took it back to toyota saying that it sagged too much when the caravan was on the back. He said that they were told by the dealer that it would be OK to tow and it wouldn't affect the ride height. The same with the huge power of the 1HZ and clutch would handle the van.

The upshot is toyota paid for supply and fit of a terrain tamer clutch as the yota one kept shuddering, supply and fit of kings springs, and also allowed Dad to fit a denco turbo and intercooler.
Toyota told him AND put it in writing that non of these would affect the warranty.
With the turbo they said that anything that bolts on (like a turbo/ intercooler) wasn't actually modifying the motor merely adding an accessory.

Oh what a feeling, I bet Nissan wouldn't do that.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342700

Reply By: donk - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 13:09

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 13:09
What is supposed to happen in the case of a modified vehicle (any modifications not just major ones) is a dealership is supposed to inform toyota of the modifications to the vehicle & a warranty revoked flag will be placed against the vehicle on the toyota warranty system

If the owner than brings the vehicle to a dealership with any warranty concern the deaership has to have the repair pre approved by toyota before the repair is carried out

If the vehicle had a suspension lift for example & the radio failed the repair would be covered under warranty but if the same vehicle had a driveline vibration proven to be caused by the lift the repair would not be approved

Because of the need to have every repair pre approved (time & paperwork involved) on a modified vehicle some dealers dont advise toyota of modifications & use there own judgement as to whether a modification has caused the problem but in the case above if a vehicle had a major lift & this was obviously causing the vibration problem & the customer was adament it was a toyota problem a dealership would probably than put in a pre approval to toyota stating the problem & that the vehicle was lifted (with photo's & measurements & a explanation of what is causing th problem) & toyota would than deny the pre approval giving the dealership something on paper to show the customer why they will not carry out the repair under warranty

Vehicles are normally reliable when left standard (but we all seem to want to add & change stuff) & quite a lot of problems we find are caused by modifications & the fitment of accessorys & owners need to be aware of this

Regards Don

AnswerID: 342713

Follow Up By: donk - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 13:13

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 13:13
Also in the post stating that the dealer fitted a aftermarket clutch & springs & told the owner it was ok to fit a turbo & intercooler this sounds to me like a dealership decision to keep a customer happy or sell a vehicle not a toyota australia one

Regards Don
FollowupID: 610396

Sponsored Links