CREB Track Feedback

After reviewing the previous posts regarding possible current closure of the track. I was distraught at the fact I may have been so stupid.

I understand from my own research that the track is managed by the Wet Tropics Management Authority. As this is the case, I reviewed their website at the following address

http://www.wettropics.gov.au/media/med_2008.html

As can be seen, the track was opened for access on 15th August, and has not advised closure to date.

Is this the only governing body? or does someone else call the shots???

Concerned
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 16:18

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 16:18
As I understand it, the CREb was closed because the electricity people wanted to remove some power poles. I doubt if it's still closed becuse of that, but it might explain the closed sign. (which should have gone by now ?)
AnswerID: 342740

Reply By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:19

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:19
Concerned. Dont Worry about it. You had a good drive . The first Closure was going to be up to 6 weeks as stated on the site "The Wet Tropics Management Authority and Ergon Energy advise that the CREB Track will be closed from 12 November 2008 while Ergon Energy dismatles a powerline that was the original line up the east coast to Cooktown. This section of the line was switched off in June 2007 and replaced by a new inland line from Mareeba to Lakeland. However the northern section from Bloomfield south to the Telstra tower on the McDowall Range will remain and be fed from the Cooktown end.
Ergon Energy says that the track could be closed for up to six weeks while the 18km section of line from the top of the Daintree to the McDowall Range is dismantled. It is a difficult logistical exercise involving both vehicles and helicopters in extremely rugged terrain, so for public safety the track has been closed. The 68 poles and eqipment would be flown out by helicopter. The intention is to complete the work before the onset of the wet season, though any rain during the work could bring it to a halt, given the nature of the access". Must have opened sometime before you drove it as the lattest is it is due to close now as state on the site".
Its not easy to find the current status of this track as all the old closures remain posted. It may still have been closed - did you see any workers - if not they must have finished. Looks like they never re-opened it though. Best to call and ask if you do it again because it opens and closes with the weather as well. You just beat the wet this year. Cheers Tony

AnswerID: 342753

Sponsored Links