Any updates on TYRE MONITORS from users ?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 14:38
ThreadID: 64832 Views:3817 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
A few of you people were looking at different systems on earlier posts.

Are you happy with what you got ?

How long do the batteries last ?

Has anybody had them stolen off the tyres ? Are the ones inside the tyres better than the ones on the valve ?

Any problems ?

Recommendations ?

I want a set to cover my 4 car tyres and 4 caravan tyres ( not worried about spares).

Thanks a lot,

Willie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 14:59

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 14:59
I got the Tryedog brand, with the sensors which screw onto the valve stems. Because I have split rims and tubes this is the only type that will work for me. The display has a motion sensor in it and it 'goes to sleep' if the vehicle is not moving so I have left this on AA batteries even though it comes with a 12 volt adaptor. The wheel sensors can be locked on with an allen key and have not been stolen yet. The system seems to accurate within about 2 psi, it also show temp of the tyres. I did get a puncture out bush and the unit beeps every time the pressure drops 1 psi. What this meant to me was I could get the jack under the axle before the tyre went flat. (The stupid landcruiser jack is too tall to get under the axle when the tyre is flat). My set has a 6 wheel display with four for the car and two for the caravan, they also come in other combinations. The sensors at <10gms seem to make a very slight difference to wheel balance, but not enough to worry, I am thinking of sticking adhesive wheel weights opposite but haven't got around to that yet. I have brass valve stems and they do not flop around with the sensors on. I have heard that tubeless valve stems do have some movement. So far I am happy with the product.
Mike.
AnswerID: 342725

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:03

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:03
Hi Willie.

I'm running "smartire", not cheap but no problems with them falling off, which happen recently to others on a CSR trip.
Temperature reading is accurate as well as pressure.
Install is more involved than some others.

regards

Wim
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 342726

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:16

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:16
Hi Mike,

I'm using the Sensatyre system with the internal tyre sensors. This is a 4 sensor unit and I have the unit hardwired into the vehicle. It's been a great system that has saved my tyres on a few occassions. Only downside is that you have to take the sensor out of you want it in the spare, you have to recalibrate the unit when you rotate the tyres and I don't know how the sensor would take a "Butane" reseating explosion.

I've decided to go over to steel rims and different tyres for my next outing so will get the Tyre-dog 6 sensor system and leave the Sensatyre on the alloys for road use. In hindsite, if you anticipate doing a few tyres changes and are doing a lot of off track work, I'd probably go an external tyre sensor system. Are you heading off looking for that elusive gold stuff again?

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342727

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:22

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:22
G'day Willie

Not only g'day but all the very best for 2009.

I run the Smart Tire monitoring system on all wheels of my 80 Series Cruiser.

They are quite accurate once programed correctly, but that was one of the systems dramas, setting it up correctly.

Since fitting the sensors inside the tyre cavity, one battery has failed and one sensor fell off inside the tyre, but still gave a signal.

The loose sensor was due to poor workmanship by the tyre fitters when I had all new tyres fitted a couple of years back.

These tyre/tires are the Mickey Thompson MTZ'ds.
63,000kms and still in good shape, and you know the country that I operate in almost on a daily basis.
Yes, I'd buy Mickey T's again.

The Smart Tire system has been in use on my Cruiser for around six years, no tyre failures at all, but I did and still do stop and investigate a tyre problem warning when it comes up on the monitor screen.

Yes I would by the product again and yes I would stand~over the tyre fitter too.

Regards : Joe PICTOURS
AnswerID: 342730

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:36

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 15:36
I have a Chinese Securetire system with stem mount senders.
Have 4 0n the car and 4 on the van and got 2 spares just in case.
Have done about 12,000 onroad k's and no probs so far.

The alarm for low pressure is set at 4lb under regular and it works cos at 4 am when i went to work on a cool morning it was chirping away when I turned it on.Tyres were under pressure due to temp I would say.
Havent put them on the van yet but will be at the end of the month.
Car ones set at 40lb and van at 50lb.
Will just wait and see
Set cost me $385 Inc postage for 10 senders and screen.
AnswerID: 342733

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:46

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:46
Graham,
Where did you get them from?
I currently have an Australian product on the van ie a spring loaded piece of steel 50mm off the ground when the tire goes flat the steel rod hits the road and creates an open circuit sending off an alarm in the cab. The problem is that that the spring contacts become oxidised and create their own open circuit so there is a cleaning job required prior to every use.

Peter
FollowupID: 610484

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:41

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 10:41
I got them direct from the factory but had I known at the time that Derek on here sells an almost identical version I would have got them off him.
His are a similar price and the senders are pretty much the same as well so have a look at

www.sidewinder.com.au

A lot easier than dealing with a chinese person who doesnt understand English very well.
FollowupID: 610548

Reply By: WayneD - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 16:22

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 16:22
I have the tyredog system which I have used in all sorts of offroad situations and has been very good.
Unfortunately the locking nut does not work on 2 of my tyres because the stem is too short. Recently (last 2 weeks) those sensors were stolen and guess what I had a flat yesterday while driving 2Klm from home on the black top. Will now have to order replacements
AnswerID: 342742

Reply By: PatrolSTL04 - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:15

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 17:15
G'day Willie,

I too have Tyre Dogs.

Was unable to lock these due to my valve stem, but have been on there for about 12 months. Its worthless knicking them without the receiver in the car.

Quiet accurate, and also handy with the temps...picked up a very warn bearing on the garden trailer due to higher temperature.

Recently did the CSR and gave me a lot of confidence is pressures, and saved me from one flat. Very quick to respond to pressure changes.

Batteries have not been replaced since new and they are still going fine.

I highly recommend these little units.

Brett...
AnswerID: 342750

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:41

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:41
Brett,
How much did they cost and where did you get them.

Peter
FollowupID: 610483

Follow Up By: PatrolSTL04 - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 01:01

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 01:01
Peter,

I think that they were $399 from Opposite Lock in Welshpool WA>

Brett..
FollowupID: 610509

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:38

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 18:38
A member (Turist) of the Bushtracker Owners Group forum, gave me the following interesting info.

"The Smartire company has been sold to the Bendix Group, sale took affect December 8th last.
Rumour is that Bendix will concentrate on the commercial vehicle products and drop the RV models.

No dealers that were selling Smartire in the US are currently stocking the product.

Internet sales outlets that previously listed Smartire no longer do so.

The Australian importer (Autron, not the sales outlet in Willie's link) no longer imports the product."
AnswerID: 342762

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:06

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 19:06
Are truckers aware of these products ?

Seems every where I drive the roads are scattered with bits of shredded tyre carcasus.
Would probably save these guys a bundle.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 342764

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:19

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:19
From what I understand Lionel the tyres all over the roads are due to the retreads shedding their tread, in lots of cases, the tyre itself (the case that is) doesn't deflate.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 610477

Follow Up By: Off-track - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:52

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:52
Not sure about truckers in the US but truckies in Australia are no doubt aware of them. ;-)
FollowupID: 610485

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:59

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:59
I had a set of the ones that screw onto the valve stem for a year or so. (Jette 400B)

I'm damned if I could be bothered spending half an hour sitting and fiddling with the damn control unit, trying to alter the settings once I'd adjusted the tyre pressures to drive on different terrain etc.

I lost one of the monitors on gravel roads; smashed off by a rock presumably.

There were small aluminium locking devices provided that could be clamped onto the valve stem with 3 VERY small Allen grub screws. I never bothered fitting those bits, cos it would take 15 minutes to get each one off whenever you wanted to air-up/down. The only way to fit these IMHO would be drill another hole in the rim and fit a second valve stem....preferrably a steel one as used on mag wheels, so that there was less chance of the sensor breaking the valve stem. Breaking of the stem never happened to me, but I believe it could be an issue.

Anyway I've sold mine.

I still like the idea of these devices and I'm hoping that the next generation will be a little more user friendly.

My idea of how they should be able to be programmed is:

1). Adjust the tyre pressures of all tyres to suit the terrain.

2). Fit the sensor units to each tyre (or preferabbly have them permanently fitted as mentioned above)

3). Jump up into the cab and press a button on the monitor unit. Holding this button for (say) 30 seconds, it would go about the task of seeking the signal from each sensor, registering the present pressure and temperature of each tyre in turn. I would imagine that a LED/beep would alert me to the fact that all 6 (or 8 or whatever) sensors have been re-programmed to the current pressures

4). Drive off......... Knowing that the monitor will alert me to any tyre that changes by more than 4psi (or similar), or by more than ?oC......

That is when i will invest in another set of these ....

Roachie
AnswerID: 342792

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 23:06

Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 23:06
A practical man after my own heart!

I've got a set of SensaTyre's coming with the strap on sensors that go in the well of the rim.

To me valves and valve stems are consumables and should be expected to behave as such.

The part that I see is going to bug me is as you say, airing down.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 610489

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:42

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:42
Hi Geoff and Bonz,

The Pressure Pro system works in a way that you both would like ( I think !)

Instead of setting a level where you want the alarm to go off, they give an alarm when the pressure goes down 12% and then a more strident alarm when they go down 25%. I think that if you air down, you just press re-set and then it works on those new pressures.

I have not had detailed instructions in my hands yet, but I THINK that's how they work.

BUT, it appears they only have the valve stem units, not the internal ones. If I buy them I am going to have to get metal valves fitted as the short rubber ones on my wheels are difficult to get t0.

Thanks for your input,

Willie.
FollowupID: 610722

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:54
Thanks Willie,

I will await your further report.

I prefer to have the valve stem type if they are robust enough. It means that you can "assign" a particular sender unit to a particluar position on the vehicle and know that it's always going to be the same. The issue I see with the internally-mounted senders is that you've gotta keep up to date with where a particular sender unit is. Each time you rotate your tyres or have a flat, you need to re-programme the unit to reflect the changed position of that unit.

Also, you would need to have a sender unit for each and every tyre you own......whereas with the valve-stem mounted units, you only need to purchase as many senders as you are likely to have wheels on the ground at any given time. When I travel I have a total of 8 tyres, but only need 6 sender units as 2 of the tyres are spares.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 610728

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:10

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:10
Hi Willie,
Thanks for the update on the Pressure Pro system.

It certainly does sound like the operation Roachie and I discussed!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 610792

Reply By: x - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:45

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:45
I use the Jette Tiregard system which I bought from Pride 4WD in Fyshwick ACT. $299 for a four wheel system. I think it comes from South Africa (but made in China). I have been very happy with it. The senders screw onto the valve stems like dust covers. They have survived the E Kimberley and Great Sandy Desert. Only concern is theft in town. Good reason to stay bush.

Before that I had the Smartire system which also performed well but attachment to rim required removal of tyre, and were fatally damaged when tyres were replaced in Kalgoorlie in May 07. At least they couldn't be stolen.

I now think of driving without knowing the temperature and pressure of each tyre akin to driving without knowing the coolant temperature.
AnswerID: 342993

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:45

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:45
Thanks heaps to everybody who answered this post with good info.

I think I will get Sensa Tyre or Pressure Pro . Neither are cheap, but they seem to have the best reputations.

I will get metal valve stems fitted and remove the senders when not on a trip.

Cheers,

Willie.
AnswerID: 343013

Sponsored Links