Dust proofing windsor rapid

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2009 at 22:14
ThreadID: 64837 Views:2026 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi we have just purchased a 13ft windsor rapid off road
would appreciate any suggestions to restrict dust entering van i no the vent on roof is meant to equilise what happens when this becomes engolfed in dust garny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Red Tail Black (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 00:18

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 00:18
Hi Garny,
The vent on the roof only works if you are going at a speed that allows the air to have a greater PSI inside the van. This is why when travelling on gravel roads slowly the hatches don't perform. If you are doing a lot of dirt roads I would suggest setting up a fan system to force air in.
We are in the process of having a new off road van built and have done a lot of research into this in the last 2 years.
I have asked on a lot of web sites about this problem and eventually came up with putting in a filter system like the coaches have to keep the dust out of their baggage compartments. This works by using a filter system with a electric fan pulling the air through, thus creating a higher internal air pressure. Which is pushing the dust back out.
We were going to use a Donaldson air filter system but got onto Roadmasters in South Australia and he built us one. Haven't put it to the test yet as the van won't be completed until February. The principal is if the internal pressure is greater than the outside then you will get no dust in.
Our van is being built by Elross in WA and its 6mts internal they say one fan should be enough, but time will tell. We are also going to put foam between the fly wire and door when we travel dirt.
On our old van we had velcroed covers on the windows and vents and just attached them when we hit gravel. This saved a little but it still got in.

Cheers Brian and Julie
AnswerID: 342797

Follow Up By: garny - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 23:18

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 23:18
Thanks Brian & Julie your ideas appear very practical i will endeavor to put these into practice
regards Brian & Charisse
FollowupID: 610697

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:01

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:01
My Bushtracker only leaks dust on really bad corrugations which ( I think) is caused by constant movement in hatch window and door seals. I have just bought some new door seals to put on and I hope this will lesson the problem I had coming down the Tanami last year.

On normal dirt roads, with the door vent blocked by foam, I have no problems with dust.

Maybe when you try it out it will be OK. Think positive !

Willie.
AnswerID: 342805

Follow Up By: garny - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 23:13

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 23:13
Thanks for the info willie
FollowupID: 610696

Sponsored Links