Gadgets and weight reduction.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 18:39
ThreadID: 64860 Views:4122 Replies:4 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Willem raised the issue of broken bits caused by overweight vehicles in another thread.
A couple of years ago I started a weight reduction programme and it resulted in a few bits and pieces that may be of interest to others. Many of you would have seen some of these before.

1. Bead breaker (pic below)
2 pieces of 12mm aluminium welded together.
It easily breaks any bead, even my 305/70R 19.5s, and it is ¼ the weight of most other bead breakers.

2. Tyre to tyre air adaptor. (pic below)
I run my tyres at a maximum of 65psi on the bitumen, but they have a safe capacity of 115psi, so that is what I run my spares at. There is enough air in a spare to inflate a flat or blow the dust out of the tool box or ….. without even starting the compressor. Blow them up at the truck stop when we get fuel.

3. Air compressor accumulator (no pic).
When I built the camper section on the OKA, I sealed the 2 chassis rails. They are my air accumulator. I have seen the same done using a bull bar and a trailer chassis.

4. Pumping diesel from a 200L drum (top item in pic below)
This cap attaches to a length of fuel hose and the air hose from the compressor. Pretty easy job. Just don’t put too much pressure in the drum.

5. My EMERGENCY ONLY air compressor (bottom item in pic above).
Not sure if I should explain this one.
Air hose QC on the left hand end, LPG gas fitting (LH thread) on the other end.
Do NOT do this. No correspondence will be entered into.

If you like any of these, post a new one for us to share.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 21:34
Peter

I have removed all the rear seats and replaced them with a mishmash of stylised MDF which constitutes my storage. I carry the fridge, 20lt water, 4x shockies, tools and stuff and trolley jack in the vehicle. Last time I weighed the GQ fully laded with fuel et al it came in at 2570. Add two humans and a dog and we are just under the GVM of 2800kg

I have ordinary tyrepliers as I only run 7.50 x 16 tyres. Only one spare for truck and one spare for trailer and some tubes.

Gadgets? Not much:

Homemade Tanami Pump

2 x Jaycar 12v electric pumps good for cooking and also for showers

Staun tyre deflators which I don't use. Find the stick works far better...lol

Rugged Toolroll which includes a saw, hammer, pick and axe

Still thinking about compressor with tank. For the mean time compressor will do

The rest of the gear is carried in the trailer.

Cheers

AnswerID: 342952

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY-(MURRAY)(Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:13
Gday Willem
Hope that Xmas and New Year all went well.

I was just hopeing that i could get a drawing of the stick that you use to deflate the tyres ??
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610716

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 14:10
Hello Muzbry Murray Vic (strange surname that)

I will do better still. here is a photo of one

Image Could Not Be Found

My friend, if you tilt your head for'rard and look down on to the ground, you may see one that could gelp you on your way

Cheers, Grommit's dad

FollowupID: 610782

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY-(MURRAY)(Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:11

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:11
Dearest Willem
While in the bush last week, i saw a stick exactly like the one in the photo , as i didn't need it at the time, i know where it is for next trip.
Little Wes and i went up toLicola and turned right on to Mt Margret track.We headed south and stayed in a spot that we have not been to before. Very nice and quiet. Two creeks running and the odd mozzi.
Little Ben went with Wes , and they seemed to have a good time together.
Its as bit hard for me to keep up with them , but who cares. They wate for me to cook their meals , so i am never far behind.
Santa gave me a new sleeping bag. As i can never get warm, i now have a -5-10 bag which is like a sauna .

Now i am off to cook for them again as it is Wed night and the kids all turn up for a freebie
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610793

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:54
Willem!!
If i send you a stamped , self addressed envelope, can you send me a suitable deflating stick?? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 610812

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:31

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:31
Michael

You have too much idle time on your hands!!!!!
FollowupID: 610889

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 21:41
Pssst...........Willie

Don't tell anyone, but all up with:

65 L water
190 L fuel
tucker for 2 weeks
cooking eqpt
spares (heaps), jacks, tools, 2 x air compressors (oldie mounted under bonnet) etc
extras like twin wheel carrier, bull bar, drawer set, roof rack
12 V fridge + 50 L esky
2 blokes
other assorted crap

........................3.8 t on weighbridge.

I drive and brake accordingly.

Cheers

PS why oh why do I consume a lot of fuel - could it possibly be weight related? - Hahahaha
FollowupID: 610917

Reply By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:16

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:16
Hi there, and thanks a lot for your suggestions. Two questions, please:
Is it really safe to inflate a tubeless tyre to 115psi?, and
If someone was silly enough to use LPG bottle pressure as a pseudo source (heaven forbid), what sort of pressure would that be? Would it reseat a tyre?
Thanks
Chris
AnswerID: 343063

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:43

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 15:43
Hi Chris
About the tyres

With common sense - i.e. not a faulty or stuffed tyre - most tyres can go to well above 115psi , typically 250psi burst pressure.

Some passenges tyres even state things like 135 psi on them etc and many LT tyres require 80psi minimum (not maximum) to achieve their load carrying specs, and as a rule of thumb are inflated to 88psi (+ 10% for saftey) to just do there job on the road which is a lot harder than as a spare.

Wise to read writing on sidewall , most do not have a max , just a min. But if they have a max then don't exceed that.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610799

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:40

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:40
Chris, there are tyres and there are tyres.

These van support over 3 tonn EACH at 115psi, so could probably handle a static ressure of at least double that (if you could find a compressor)?

I suggest that the pressure stated on the tyre (for the maximum rated load) is THE appropriate pressure, not MAX, not MIN.

My tyres (in the pic) are 'XDE 2' Michelin. They publish charts for this tyre which quote load V pressure for 1) highway use, 2) 65kph tracks, and 3) 20kph sand.
I use those charts 'cos I reccon they know more about tyres than I do.
So far (120,000k on this tyre type), I reccon they are correct.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 610841

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:49

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:49
Hi Peter
They use the terminology max load to mean just that, its a limit not just a reccomendation , this is why the industry uses 10% more pressure typically because if the tyre guage was off a couple of percent you could easily have tyres underinflated and hence be legally liable.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610967

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:06
Hi Peter

Over weight has long been an issue I try to warn people about.
Have seen countless examples of it and its damage.

Ideas like you show can really save weight if done right.
Compressed air from the spare is great for blow dust out of things.

In my own car , I don't add anything without reducing weight elsewhere and car weighs less than original despite many additional features. By going carefully through the car we have removed over 100kg including things like the 2nd radiator fan which hasn't proved to be required and replacing many bolts which are just longer than they need to be.
The result of all this is that the car doesn't need raising and hence you don't add several Kg in bigger coils springs etc.

Things like steel Bullbars are rarely worth there weight and just looking at your picture I see a haymen reese towbar , the Nissan version of it weighs in at some 20kgs and things like this just constantly build up weight.
I only tow a lightweight trailer for bikes and then only occaisionly and have constructed a version that weighs only 3kg.

I like the look of your tyre remover but everytime I have seen those sorts of things used in bad conditions they have been hard work so for that purpose we have a handmade copy of tyrepliers that weighs in at only 2kg and which can also be used as a tyrelever.

As a small contribution to your weight saving ideas I'd like to add my method of carrying a garden shovel which is attached to the back spare tyre of my Patrol.

To do this we simply drilled a hole in the shovel handle and used a 200mm section of 1/4 inch threaded rod which attaches from the spare wheel stud hole to the hole in the shovel handle , weighs nothing and cost 80c.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343071

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 17:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 17:41
I now use my spare wheel as an air resevior and it works a treat but only at 65PSI as the maximum pressure on the sidewall is 65PSI. saves a few kilos and is about 100 litres instead on the usual 10 or 15 litres.. MichaelImage Could Not Be Found
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 610820

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:00

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:00
Hi Micheal

They look like BFG AT , if so you have fallen victim to the bad wording on the tyre.

65 is the minimum pressure required to support that load.

From memory the wording is something like max load 1xxx kg at 65 psi cold.

I.E. you need 65 to support that load and typical use is to add 10% more pressure to support that load.

You may then ask why do I use 30psi or so normally , the reason you can use low pressures is because the cars weight is a lot less than max load , i.e. a 3000kg car has about 750kg load per wheel
so needs less air.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 610826

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:05
Thanks Robin, I will re look at that. im sure it said max 65psi, but i will have another look. It would be nice to get it up to 100psi.. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 610827

Follow Up By: jocker - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:35

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:35
No need to over inflate your tyres..... that will add to the weight...laugh!
You risk stretching the tyre under light loads and after all you DO check your pressures now and again DONT you.
Another suggestion.. throw out any unwanted ballast..wives and kids come to mind.
Cheers all.
FollowupID: 610985

Reply By: Nic I (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:17

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:17
Out of curiosity, how much does a tyre, say a 285/75 LT16, weigh with 110psi or so in it, compared to the same tyre at 20psi ?
AnswerID: 343227

Sponsored Links