To Snorkel or Not to Snorkel

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 22:39
ThreadID: 64872 Views:5144 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have been considering getting a snorkel fitted to my Pajero.

Just wandering if the snorkel is worth it and if there are any implications in adding one.

The main issue for me is if there is impact on fuel economy - I am still getting over the increase from other mods (like larger tyres).

Many thanks for any help,

Richard

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2009 at 23:10
Hi Richard
For the life of your air cleaner alone, they are worth it. Many modern vehicles have their air intakes in places that make you think why. The first taste of bull dust and I had one on order for my Prado.
I have no regrets in putting one on our vehicle and would have no hesitation in recommending them to be fitted to any vehicle.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342971

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 02:51

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 02:51
G'day Richard,
When we were running training courses, we advised the reasons for fitting a snorkel to a vehicle were....
Cooler air flow..... especially for diesels
Cleaner air into engine ...... less dirt and dust into intake.
REDUCED risk of water ingress during water crossings
Ability to fit Donaldson pre cleaner for extreme dust conditions.

Considering the cost of an engine rebuild VS the cost of a snorkel.

Too easy.

Regards,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 342984

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:37

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:37
Just make sure it is fitted correctly. A poor fitting snorkle is useless. We had a Council Cruiser in the Gulf drown because of a poorly factory fitted snorkle. Water came into the intake under the guard through a poorly sealed joint. Other than that all the above points are benifits. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 610808

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:56

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:56
Tony,
Is there a way to test if the snorkel is well sealed?
I have heard of not so good installations having this problem.

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 610898

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:03

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 07:03
Try and stall the engine by blocking the air intake. If the engine does not stall then it must be sucking air from a leak some place. Be careful though, the suction can be real strong and will suck a rag straight down the tube - it will only end up in the air filter. Use a board with a soft covering and slide it across the top of the tube (you will probably have to remove the top first). If you are likely to be doing bush work then I would suggest that you turn the cap at the intake to face the rear so that it does not 'hook' any vines or low branches.

FollowupID: 610963

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 08:38

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 08:38
To try and stall a vehicle by blocking the snorkel intake is a bit suspect IMHO, all it would do is place stress on the sealed joints within the snorkel, plus the air filter box would need to be fully sealed as well or it will suck air through the drains in the bottom of the filter box housing.

The way I would test the snorkel would be to disconnect the air intake into the air filter box and block the snorkel there then fill the whole snorkel with water. No stress on the sealed joints and an easy way to find leaks.

Also AFAIK factory Snorkels are not designed to be water proof, they are designed only to give an elevated air intake which should reduce dust ingestion into the air filter.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 610971

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:11
Sir Kev, I strongly beg to differ ! Snorkels are primarily to avoid water being ingested and dust is a distant second benefit. Even promotional videos show test vehicles driving through deep water and no mention is made of them keeping out dust particles - thats what the air filter is for.

FollowupID: 611031

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:29

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 15:29
Hello - I have noticed that the rally cars (WRC) use snorkels duirng the Kenyan Rally (and now where else?). I dont know for sure but it seems to be because of large amounts of dust. Its certainly is not because of water. Could argue that the average punter is unlikely to encounter dust of this magnitude unless they like going last in tag along tours in desert areas so probably not an issue for most people most of the time. Not convinced that intake air would be significantly cooler when using snorkel either. Wouldnt bother myself unless anticipated water crossings that needed to be crossed. All factors add up I suppose - good insurance at least.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611038

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 16:25

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 16:25
Kiwi Kia,

I have just perused the Mitsubishi web site and have failed to find a factory standard Snorkel for a Pajero. Therefore one would have to fit an aftermarket designed Snorkel, there lies the difference. An aftermarket snorkel has different design characteristics than the standard factory designed one to the extent that Mitsubishi don't have one for the pajero.

Whereas from the Toyota web site the snorkel for the 70 Series is described as

"The air cleaner snorkel has been integrated to work in with the frontal design changes, so you can breathe easy when you think you’re getting in over your head. "

I rest my case

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 611046

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:20

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:20
If you are going to be doing general outback travel, the snorkel makes good overall sense, as detailed above - I went that way, on the cleaner air factor alone - dragging dust in from the wheel well is mad - as an example, this might be why Toyota fit a snorkel to their 70's styles vehicles that are designed to live permanently in the environment that we holiday in ? And if I recall correctly, they don't warrant them to be waterproof (immersible) - they just do it for cleaner air too. The Paj may well repay you for your investment :-o).
AnswerID: 343003

Reply By: richard - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 20:49
To all above,
Many thanks for the very good advice.

The snorkel is now back on the agenda.

Just to follow up on my question - did any one notice and effect on fuel consumption after fitting one?

Richard
AnswerID: 343137

Sponsored Links