Suitable time for Uluru visit

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 00:59
ThreadID: 64876 Views:7342 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to go to Uluru in mid April (Easter break) but this site recommends June -November as the best time. Looking at the temperature averages, April has a similair range as September (middle of best time) so are there any other reasons why April is not on the recommended time ie. wind, flies, crowds etc...

Cheers

Captain
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 02:34

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 02:34
G'day Captain,

Can't help with the why part of your question. We were there in September last year, sunset on the day of arrival was spectacular!!
Next day, all climbs were halted because of high winds and by nine o'clock all views of the rock and the Olgas were hazy because of the dust in the air. I think it will be a case of enjoying your time there, when ever you can go.
Regards,
Wayne & Sally.
PS FWIW if you are not happy with the campsite you are issued at Yulara, CT people are NOT held in high regard at the campground, ask for another. 45 degree front to back and 30 degree side to side isn't a "nice, level site"
Cheers.
W&S.
AnswerID: 342982

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 07:37

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 07:37
put it this way last april (08) the max temp was 34.8
and by the middle of the month temps were low 30s high 20s with morning temps below 20

looks fairly breezy though wiith most maximum wind gusts over 40kph.

my advice is if you intend to climb it and you get there and the climb is open then do it dont wait till later as it gets closed for any number of a thousand reasons
AnswerID: 342989

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 08:41
We went to Uluru on 18 April 06 when we thought it would be OK heatwise as we had researched the best time to visit also, I am unaffected by the heat but Fiona does it really tough.

The day we arrived it was 43C which was pretty high for that time, 39C the following day and 38C at Kings Canyon on the third day, so you can never tell when a sudden change will come about, but should we go again to catch up what we missed our on we would do it in late May or early June.

There will be plenty of excellent advice from the other members here though.

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 342992

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:03

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:03
G'day Captain, we were there first week in april 07, & while very warm wasnt too bad. Did Uluru walk early one morning then
happy houred till early next morning & did Valley of the Winds
walk. Both highly recomended. Dont expect to climb on any day.
Was closed due to high winds, but no discernable wind at ground level. I think climbing will be phased out. Flies were no problem,
likewise crowds........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 342997

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 09:13
Yep - all bets are off but its still worth going in April - we struck it 40C plus there one year too - you can walk round the base of the rock (9km) if the top is closed - re lumps of stone though, the Olgas are the pick IMV ! Valley of the Winds walk recommended !
If you get around to Kings Canyon, the rim walk is fabulous on a nice sunlit day.
AnswerID: 343001

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:38

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 10:38
Hi Captain, I agree with Darian. The King's Canyon walk is best of the lot - but start early if the weather is warm. This walk can be closed in hot weather. We start all walks early to beat the heat.

Valley of the winds walk at Kata Tjuta has more interest that Uluru, and expect it to be windy between the domes.

We walked around Uluru. There are seats to rest on, and a couple of drinking water points. We chose not to climb; it is not recommended for both cultural and safety reasons, and it is just a long haul up a chain.

We were there in September, and the weather was starting to warm up, after a very cold and windy week in Alice. Crowds of international tourists visit Uluru and Kings Canyon by the bus load, but most are only taken on one short walk at Uluru, then you are virtually on your own for the rest of the walk. They do the rim walk at King Canyon, but there is plenty of room to get away from the groups. There may be more people during school holidays.

The campsite at the Yulara resort is mediocre, but you really need to stay there to see the rock at the best times; the campsite at Kings Canyon resort is nice.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343021

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 17:54
Motherhen
I hope you don't take offence, but it is a hell of a lot more than a "long haul up a chain". I would estimate the length of the chain to be about 20% of the climb. As you chose not to do it, it really is inappropriate for you to comment on it.
We chose to climb it, despite the expressions of concern by the "traditional owners". It was a challenge we had set ourselves which we managed to achieve. Having done that, on our next three visits to the rock we have elected not to climb it. As we see it, we are entitled to have our cultural ambitions and desires as much as any one else. Until someone says "you can't do that!", we will continue to set ourselves goals and at least attempt to achieve them.

teege
FollowupID: 610824

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 18:17
Hey Teege - I gave my reasons why we chose not to climb Uluru, and that is quite appropriate.

We made the final choice when we got there. I make no recommendations to others - and support that it is entirely their choice.

Perhaps instead of reading into my post things i did not say, you could have taken a positive approach and given a brief description of the climb from when you did it. This would be of more value to those asking about Uluru and others reading the thread.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 610832

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:04

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:04
Gday
Are you planning on climbing it?

Cheers
AnswerID: 343070

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:12

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:12
Hi Hairy,

Am planning to, the kids are looking forward to it. Any reason you ask?

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 610804

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 17:25
Gday,
As I'm sure you know they close the rock climb for all sorts of reasons now.
I cant remember exactly were I saw it, but if you search the Web under NT parks, Uluru or something like that you can find graphs showing how often the rock was closed each month over the last few years.
From that you can work out what months you have the best chance of it being open....not guaranteed but it gives you better odds.

Cheers
FollowupID: 610819

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:14

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 16:14
Thanks all for your helpful replies. It looks like there is no reason not to go in April, you can get caught out by unseasonal weather anytime.

Will do also plan on doing Kings Canyon, we were last in the NT in 1995 (pre-kids) and look forward to showing them some of the sights.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 343072

Sponsored Links