Engal 1000 watt gennies how niosy are they compared to the honda equivilent any

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 21:33
ThreadID: 64903 Views:4687 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
looking at a engal genny 1000 w for around the $1000 to run my 70 lt fridge,just after some feed back on how good they are in regards to noise & reliability in comparison to the honda any feedback would be a appreciated.
Regards walks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 21:40
Hi walks
It should be the very same, as the Engel uses the Honda motor, only a different colour.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 343149

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2009 at 22:05
Is the Engel still a square wave output?

It's an electrical phenomenom well hidden but available on their web site.

If I was comparing the Honda and the Engel noise and reliability would be at the bottom of my list.

For me there is no comparison, if the Engel is still a square wave output I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Realistically the idea of a portable generator is to emulate the mains power we have at home.

And we don't have square wave power at home.

I'd be looking at Honda, Yamaha, Subaru(Robin) and even the Kipor's before I'd look at the square wave output Engel's.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 343154

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:24

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 10:24
Having cooked 2 engel fridges running cheap generators (burnt the power modules out when the generator throttle hunted) I will never risk another.
Buy either a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator. If you buy the Engel a good idea is to run your fridge off the battery and use a good battery charger to recharge your battery. You run the generator less and don't risk your fridge.
Have a Honda E1000 and it is brilliant, I run 2 engel 40 litre fridge/freezers when camping, quiet enough to run near your camp and not disturb other campers, light enough to put in the front box on my CT and ultra reliable.
I even run my laptop direct off it because my 300 watt inverter is not pure sine wave and the Toshiba won't look at it.
For the extra couple of hundred dollars buy Honda or Yamaha.

Cheers Rod
AnswerID: 343195

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:08

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:08
Walks, from my experience the Engel is a noisy generator (compared to Honda)

Last year I was camped at King Ash Bay (NT) and a bloke and his wife set up next to me. He pulled out his brand new Engel Generator and told me what a good deal he got. Much cheaper than a Honda and the salesman told him it was just as good and just as quiet.

2 seconds after he started it, everybody within 50 meters knew he had been sucked in by a salesman.

He ended up having to put it down over the river bank near the water line to shield the camp area from the noise. He was very bleep off, but too difficult to take it back due to the remote area we were in.

I don't know the facts, but I reckon it is a rebadged Kipor. The Kipor is supposed to have the same engine as the Honda( so I'm told), but certainly not the same noise suppression and other key components.

I've had the experience of good money after bad with Generators. I bought a Kipor 3 years ago. 18 months later it went to the tip and was replaced by a Honda. My advice is 'spend the money once and get a Honda'.

Shop around and you will get good deals on the Honda. Even if it costs a couple of hundred more, it is money well spent. Proven reliability over a long time, very quiet and 4 year warranty (sometimes 5 on promotions).

Norm C

AnswerID: 343200

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 13:10

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 13:10
Fridges run off batteries.......gennies charge batteries..( thru a 3 stage charger ).

Are your batts big enough ?

Is solar a better option ?

If you still need a gennie...go a Honda
AnswerID: 343213

Reply By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:03

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:03
Engel are SQUARE WAVE and not sine wave
Engel dont have an Eco throttle so rev the guts out as they only have a two speed switch

Yamaha EF1000 is best small unit. Honda EU10i are poor with aluminum bore, small fuel filler, no fuel tap so fuel smells all time in the vehicle, revs its head off compared to Yamaha and noisier than Yamaha. Yamaha EF1000is when was in buying at local tool shop Saturday morning was $1250
AnswerID: 343266

Sponsored Links