Durahub Bearing Protectors

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 16:06
ThreadID: 64921 Views:3875 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Has anyone used this product or similar? Durahub Bearing Protectors I am considering fitting to our new off-road twin axle Kedron caravan. I know that these have been used in the trucking industry for years and wondering about caravans.

Regards
Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 16:23

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 16:23
Hi Jack,

I don't use them but I understand they are well suited for boat trailers and frequent immersions. I don't know if they add value to your van from a lubricating point of view but I do reckon that they sit proud of the hub and that could be a problem if you plan the odd off road trip. It seems to me that they can be knocked off - we had a trailer lose a dust cap on our last trip on a cutting.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 343232

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 17:32

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 17:32
Don't waste your time or money!

I persevered with a similar product on my boat trailer and continuously had them knocked out of the hub by flying stones when travelling on corrugated roads. Each time it happened I had an exposed axle nut and outer bearing covered in grit and dust.

These really don't do any more than your original bearings do provided they have been correctly loaded with grease.

I'm sure someone will come on and say they did a zillion kilometres on this sort of product. What they can't say is how many k's they would have done without them.

Ian
AnswerID: 343236

Follow Up By: Flywest - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:10

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:10
Fitted a set to the tandem boat dual axel trailer, with about 4 tonnes all up weight.

Towed it Mandurah to Exmouth & back, then Mandurah to Pt Samson & back including a few trips in and out the Gravel corrugated Whim Creek Balla Balla road retrieving the boat to avoid cyclones etc.
They've been in and out of the water inummerable times to launch and retrieve over about 3 years now.

Never missed a beat and some of the gravel road trips were thru thick mud & bog holes on the Balla - Balla / Whim Creek road after the cyclones had passed.

Never experienced any problems with stones knocking the hubs out - they are the best thing I ever fitted!

I've used grease & bearing buddies on my old boat trailer for 10 years commercial charter work and never had a bearing failure either - but did need to change bearings about every 2 years due to water ingress and rust etc - not so with the oil lube dura hubs on a much bgger heavier boat doing far greater distances.

Just seems I have a different (positive) experience to this poster is all.

I was worried about the problem, of maybe losing a oil hub cover so always carried 4 spare gease hubs in the truck just in case - but have never used them, due to not needing too.

To each his own - I reckon you can't beat them for Boat trailer use but that MIGHT be different to caravan use - up to you to decide.

Cheers
FollowupID: 611058

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:15

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 18:15
I second that.
The guy who recently bought my house was bringing his brand new 4 Winns boat up from Brisbane to Bribie .
He was late and the phone went. It was him to say he had lost a wheel off his boat trailer. Off we went to help him.
When we got there we found the nuts had loosened and the wheel had come off cutting the tyre to bits on the steel mudguard and breaking the remaining studs off.
It also knocked the cap off the DURAHUB letting all the oil out
We were going to fix it up with the spare but couldnt find the cap for the hub so couldnt move it.
Useless things a greased hub would have been Ok for 10k.

Just as an aside when we went around the wheels two of the remaining 3 had nuts that were only finger tight and they were rusty and obviously not new.
This rig was straight out of the yard that day.
This on an $80,000 purchase. I wont name the dealer.
FollowupID: 611062

Reply By: hotfishez - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:19

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 19:19
i use the bearing buddies, same idea only really because they came on the boat trailer. They are supposed to keep water out of the bearings but I see no advantage to running them on any trailer or caravan. What is the advantage of having excess grease on the outerside of the complete bearing assembly? Sure the b/buddies are spring loaded to push the grease in when really it is only putting unnecessary pressure on the inner seal. If your bearings are packed correctly, inner seal and hub cap fitted, I dont believe there is any need for them.
If I am wrong and they do serve a real purpoose,I will happily be corrected.
AnswerID: 343254

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 21:06
I've had buddies on the boat trailer for about 10 years - but that is mainly short run local sealed road trips - I just keep them chocka full with grease - have not needed to service the bearings yet - they work on the main principle that if the hub is full of grease, there is no room for water when immersed - this is true !
As for rough roads though - it seems they are prone to vibrate out (they are a lot heavier than a standard dust cap) ....and besides losing the item, you end up with a hub and outer bearing full of dirt - I have stayed away from them for that reason on my two camper trailers - on the current camper, I have found water in the hub after a Kimberley trip - a standard hot hub does indeed pull water in on the cool water crossings. Just a matter of doing the maintenance when one gets home.
AnswerID: 343290

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:53

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:53
Thanks to everyone for the info. I think I will stick to whatever comes on the van and do regular maintenance. On this matter, how often should bearings be repacked considering I will travelling about 5000km per month some off-road and some tar, 'bout 50-50 I guess.

Cheers
Jack
AnswerID: 343376

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:15

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:15
Jack,

I used to repack mine on the boat trailer bout once a year - due to the frequent immersion - the bearing races would pit.

On a normal trailer that doesnt see immersion i reckon bout every 3 years should be enough!

Nuthin to stop you adjusting them more frequently tho!

Others may have dofferent experience / advice.

Good luck!
AnswerID: 343395

Sponsored Links