Fridges

I have been searching for the correct type of fridge for my travel needs?

Have been totally confused with the information supplied.

Have a duel battery system fitted to my 2003 Navara ST - R.

Suggestions have been Engel/Waco and 2 and 3 way.

Relatively new to the accessory field as 4wd has been work related.

Now trying to take work to leisure.

Need comment or advise

Just totally confused as which way to go.

Regards

Drew

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:31

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:31
Drew

This question has been asked before ad infinitum!

If you use the SEARCH function above and type in FRIDGE you will most likely get at least 20,000 links to forum posts on fridges. This may take you until 2010 to read.....lol

First of all you need to state what you want to do with the fridge. Is it for daily driving or for camping? How many days would you want to be away. What are your needs food wise. There are fridges from around the $500 mark up to $2000. What is your budget?

It will be interesting to see who says what about which fridge.

Cheers

AnswerID: 343276

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:31

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:31
What sort of camping/travelling do you plan to do? The answer will make it easier to decide which will suit you best.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343277

Reply By: blue one - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:35

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:35
Drew,
As you have a duel battery system, get a 40 Litre Engel or Waco 12VDC / 240VAC fridge.

Have a look at the fridge specifications and choose one that suits you.

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 343278

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:44

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:44
Drew, Anaconda have Engel 45L and a Waeco 50L packages with extra goodies for just under $1200. Sale ends Jan 11...

We use the FIL's Waeco 40L for our family with 2 teenagers. It seems to be of adequate size for us and always works well. But as with everything else, there will be a troublesome one in the batch somewhere.

Suppose you need to weight up what you need, size wise, then make a decision from there. Then it comes down to brands. I don't think they are any better than each other these days, and each brand has it's devotees. I had an older Engel for work years back, in the 80's, and it was a robust and reliable (and agricultural looking, heavy and bulky) unit that never gave a problem.

If I was buying another fridge I'd buy a Waeco.

Good luck. Louie
AnswerID: 343284

Reply By: Stiphodon - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:04

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:04
Do a search for Autofridge, no other compare for energy usuage
AnswerID: 343313

Follow Up By: Stiphodon - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:05

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:05
*usage
FollowupID: 611133

Reply By: Markymark - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:16

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:16
Check out Evakool fridges, Aussie made with the Danfoss compressor. Basically an ice box with a compressor attached, therefore the insulation is great. They are dual zone, about one third freezer and two thirds fridge, or you can ask the factory to make one to suit.

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 343314

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:26

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:26
Drew, everyone can be well meaning with advice and the waters can get muddied. But you have to define clearly how the fridge will be used & the trips you are likely to do.
If you are going to be camping remotely say 2 days + you might consider the 3 way system where the fridge is left in camp (in shade) running on gas, they work well as long as the flame doesn't blow out.
If left in the vehicle on 12v you would have to consider solar panels to keep the battery topped up unless you take the vehicle (and fridge) for a drive each day.
If you're on the road each day the battery will be OK. If in C/parks on powered sites you must have an extension lead and could leave the fridge in the campsite if you need/want to.
Fridge size depends on what your own needs are, remembering you can load the beers in each morning for that day, you don't need to keep a weeks supply cold all at once. Meat cryo-packed into serves keeps for weeks without freezing & there are big supermarkets in most large towns to top up as needs be.
The most important factor in running fridges in a vehicle is ventilation around the fridge . . . . hot air MUST be dispelled for them to work efficiently and economically use power. Fridges produce heat and the motors will stew if they aren't ventilated adequately.
Thin walled fridges will fluctuate in temp more than those with adequate insulation, meaning they will be running more often (tough on batteries). I can't see the sense where some makers build thin walled fridges then sell an aftermaket insulated jacket to make them more efficient & these jackets cover over half the motor vents - crazy.
I've heard good and bad about both the major brands.
The one I use is a beast but you can't fault it for strength, efficiency. It's all aluminium with 50mm thick insulated walls, hand crafted and selected for the Aust. army. Manufactured in Qld. by a family company. Called the Trailblaza . . . . check herehttp://www.norcoast.com.au/
Best of luck

PS one more tip. To help keep the vehicle cool, cut some of that silver windscreen reflective shade blind to fit to the insides of the rear side windows of the 4wd. If this sounds complicated email me back & say "please explain"
AnswerID: 343325

Sponsored Links