Kimberleys & Kakadu when caravanning with a dog

Is it possible to experience the Kimberleys and Kakadu when caravanning with a dog?

I assume the way to do this would be the park the van in a nearby van park and put my best friend in a kennel. I am hoping there are others who have travelled with their dog who could offer advice.

Some may say "leave the dog at home" but the company she provides far outweighs the inconveniences.

Regards and thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:46

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 20:46
Cruiser

As a start you can buy this book, 'Bush Camping with Dogs' from the ExplorOz Shop.

Look here http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/AllItems.aspx

This book is quite comprehensive. If you want to visit National Park sthen it would be best to look for Kennels which are close by to where you want to visit.

Please be reminded that the tropics is a bad place for Canine Heartworm and once a dog gets heartworm it has to be on tablets for the rest of its life. Ticks can also be bad in the tropics.

Cheers
AnswerID: 343285

Reply By: Tenpounder - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:29

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 22:29
Hi there. We did the Kimberley region earlier this year. Cannot speak for the Kakadu area, except for the obvious comment about it being a National Park. We had troubles finding kennels in the Kimberley, and a number of CPs didn't want to know about dogs. Broome was by far the worst. Se we relied on kennels in Kununurra and Derby, and knocked up the miles to allow trips to the Bungles, Windjina etc.
We also suffered the problems of ticks, and so the decision to take Lexie was not without its price. There are very few kennels, vets or anything else in the area, so what can I say? Common sense probably says don't do it, and the logistics are messy, but, heh, they're part of the family.
Our dog got very sick further South, but that's another story.
If you want more details, sing out.
Regards
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 343316

Reply By: Member - Cookie & Di - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:17

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:17
We travelled 2 years ago with our dog, in the NT we had to sit in the carpark with our dog (in the car). WA some places you weren't even allowed to have your dog in the car while driving through National Parks. We didn't like leaving our dog so we missed out on a lot because of it. P.S We are now travelling without a dog, a lot less hassles.
AnswerID: 343322

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:22

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:22
HEY cruiser 2091.

Kakadu is no no for pets, as it is in any National Park, the same as any Nature park or areas protected by the Environmental Protection and Bio- Diversity act, This is Australia wide.

However in Darwin there are several Kennels to put you loved pet, here is a link.

Kennels in Darwin

As for the Kimberley, try this.

Kennels in the Kimberly
Cheers Steve.

AnswerID: 343323

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:23

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:23
Meanwhile.......................down at an obscure bush camp...............in the heart of the(a park) park.......mangy, flea ridden starving dogs lope around the camp......lol

Ahhhhh but that's different!!!!

LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 611162

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:38

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 00:38
G/day Willem.

I saved one of those mangy, flee ridden, tick ridden, starving, camp dogs in February last year, she is now a loved family pet, she also looks after Doug Ts mutts as well LOL.

The difference as you know is that these mutts belong to the traditional owners, The great thing about Jabiru is you can have up to 2 dogs that are behind a fence or on a lead at all time (ROTFL) but there are no cats in site.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 611164

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:36

Thursday, Jan 08, 2009 at 23:36
Cruiser, There are places through the Gibb River Road where you can take your dog with you - but not in the national parks at all. We met people travelling with three dogs. They checked beforehand about bringing them to the station stay where we first met them, and had no problems convincing proprietors that their dogs were well disciplined and that they were responsible owners. The dogs travelled under canvas and in cages on the back of their ute, and were happy to stay there while their owners went walking. They took a flight over Mitchell Falls as it was the only way they could do it due to having the dogs.

I haven't been to Kakadu, but high tourism places such as Kings Canyon and Uluru allow dogs in the car parks, and left on a short tether outside the vehicle in the car parks. Sometimes there was quite a conversation between dogs large and small while their owners were out walking. At Kings Canyon resort CP there were a lot of people with dogs. Some NT parks sensibly allow you to drive through with your dog in the car.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343326

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:29

Friday, Jan 09, 2009 at 08:29
Thanks to everyone who has replied I appreciate your comments
AnswerID: 343349

Reply By: Boobook2 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 06:39

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 06:39
It is fine to take a dog, Just make sure you let it swim in the Adelaide river as a one of the first things you do. After that you won't have to worry as much about such a dumb idea.
AnswerID: 343516

Follow Up By: Cruiser 2091 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:12

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:12
Hi Boobook and thanks for your reply.

Your comments clearly show anyone reading this post why I prefer a dog as a companion to that of certain humans.

FollowupID: 611355

Follow Up By: ImOwtaHere - Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:24

Friday, Jan 23, 2009 at 23:24
I'm with you on that one cruiser . . .
FollowupID: 613675

Sponsored Links