Toolangi - Pipeline Update (Victoria)

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 08:57
ThreadID: 64975 Views:3271 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Decided to check out the route of the new water pipline to Melbourne as it passes thru the Toolangi state forrest.

Many Vics would know the area near Marginal rd / Rocky track and that the area along the highway there and up near Kalatha creek is in the path of the pipeline.

This area also holds (held) the greatest amount of big bogholes and hard tracks I know of.

We choose our espically quiet and meticuliously legal trail bikes for this job which proved very fortunate as at the nothern Kalatha creek crossing in thick forrest we came out into an opening to quite a melay with a group of 3 unregistered bikes , a couple of cars and some Parks Vic vehicles all together in what appeared to be a bust.
They was little time for everyone to react. But everyone in unison seemed to turn and give our bikes a quick look over in the 4 seconds we took to quietly and effectively wind thru the crowd and keep on our way, without stopping to ask, or be asked questions.

The pipeline route follows the highway in thick forrest about 50 meters in and parallel to the highway. There is/was a carpark just off marginal road and now you can stand there and look it amazement at a 30m wide highway of smooth dirt which has been bulldozed right thru the centre of the forrest there and which extends as far as you can see.
The area from the base of Rocky track north had been flattened completely , little bridges made over where the big bog holes were. There were at least 200 earth moving vehicles
and works cars between rocky track and Glenburn roadhouse , shifting dirt and turning the forrest into huge piles of chips. To the south , the works are yet to begin in ernest but twin lines of tape snake thru the forrest showing where its to happen.
The lines of tape mark a construction site and access is not allowed.
The once dirt road entrance to rocky track area now has a short bitumen section to allow for access for trucks.

Access into Marginal rd is still mostly ok from the south, but there are no-turn signs from the north.

We checked out all tracks in the area, and back 100m or so so from the highway everything appears normal untouched
and plenty of good tracks , but the car swallowing roadside bogholes have gone.

We systematically checked out the Sec road, its access from Pylon track and all tracks north of Kalatha creek and everything here appears ok.

The Sec Pylons represent an area where the same sort of thing was done years ago , the magnificent views and the extra tracks
created have been a benefit.

Perhaps the pipeline corridor will end up being positive for 4wding in years to come as well.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bucky00 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:08

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:08
One thing that worries me a little about the pipeline, the main bit of ammo the greenies use to lock up the bush is, "It's a water catchment, it needs to be locked up, nobody should be allowed in there." When all north of the great divide ends up in Melbourne taps, it'll give the greenies more ammunition to make it a national park and lock it up, it may not necessarilly happen, but I'd say that the greenies will try a little bit sooner or later and if ever the government makes another national park, the greenies will pat them on the back and say, "Good it's a water catchment," that's what they've done with so many other places when it ends up in someone's taps.
AnswerID: 343533

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:38

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:38
I think that is decreasing Bucky.

The bottom line with the Pipeline and the Desalination plant is that the government has essentially made the decision that there isn't much more area to get water from and hence theres alternative soucres.

The Sec corridor from Glenburn to Alexandra is now a major soucre of good tracks and I hoping that with the good work of 4wd victoria and support of us all to clean up our act then the pipeline corridor may offer more opportunities.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 611365

Follow Up By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:53

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 09:53
Hey Robin,
If there isn't much more area to get water from, how about a water tank! It's what I use (no mains water) and I have never run out or faced restrictions in the last 18 years. At the moment I have about 100,000 litres in the tanks and all I am removing from natural water flow for the environment is the roof area of my house and sheds!
When I fly into cities around Australia, I look at all the roofs and think "Wow what a water catchment". You don't have to drink it, but my water is the best tasting anyway, but you can wash with it flush it water your drought tolerant (not english) gardens etc etc. It only costs about $4000 for a 45,000 litre tank!
FollowupID: 611370

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:02
Wouldn't that be wonderful AJB , I'm not a supporter of big bang projects.

More than the water , tanks everywhere would seriously get the message across and bring it home directly to the consumers.

Probably have to give everyone a free subscription to Earth Garden as well though.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 611372

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:03

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:03
Hi all

Good luck to them and I hope that all the water that will be STOLEN off farmers down stream will be well appreciated while they eat imported food contaminated with human waste and pesticides that were banned here 20 years ago.
great move. Go Australia.

GN
AnswerID: 343548

Sponsored Links