Sun Visor

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:46
ThreadID: 64985 Views:3291 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,

I am not new to 4WDing but I am new to the Australian 4WD scene. About 9 Month ago I took the big step and left Holland for what it is. So, you guys might see allot of questions popping up on this forum from me about things that will never occur in Holland, only Australia.
One of those is a question about a sun visor.
We hardly get any sun in Holland, and if we get it, everybody runs to the church to pray for forgiveness.

When I bought my 60 series, I got a sun visor with it. The last owner never installed it.
Should I install it? And is there a maximum speed with driving one before it takes me and the cruiser into the air?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:59

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 11:59
Hi Cruiser Crazy and Welcome

It's a personal thing whether you do it or not. They do the job!
I actually have 2 60 series and a 100 series in the driveway and I have been contemplating putiing a visor on one of the 60's but I am 48 going on 49 and people are already calling me old so the image the visor will give off for me is nothing. But then my 60 series has 4 inch lift, Mickey Thompson MTZ's. She will go most places but diff lock will be the next purchase as the visor wont help me climb hills unless I am driving into a sunset.

If you dont have tinting I would put it on.
Have a Great Day!
Morto

AnswerID: 343554

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:01

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:01
They have gone very much out of fashion here Cruiser Crazy, what with tinted windows and stick on strips of window tint that go across the top of windscreen.

In some circumstances they are good idea and shouldn't blow off but should be at such an angle and have sufficent gap at rear
to let air through and not cause much wind resistance.

I personally wouldn't use them , or things like bullbars, aerials and driving lights for that matter which can catch on overgrown bush tracks that are common here in Victoria.

By the way hows the Evoluon in Eindhoven going - last time I was there as a research engineer for philips it was in for a serious makeover.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343555

Follow Up By: Cruiser Crazy - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:18

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:18
This is a bit embarrassing,
I am an electrician/ automation technician, used to live only 100km away from Evoluon, and yet, I have never been there.

FollowupID: 611400

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:04

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:04
I share your embrassment Crazy.

Visitors come to us and want to see all these tourist attractions around our big city that I have rarely been to.

Whats a "Victoria market" I ask , is it near "Rocky track" ?

They have never heard that our city is surrounded by more bush tracks than anywhere else in Australia and thats where we spend as much time as we can.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 611409

Reply By: Dave B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:01

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:01
I think sun visors were all the go about the 1960 -1970's but you don't see them on too many cars now.
Not too sure why though.
Some say they created a bit more wind resistance, so maybe affected the economy, although there were mesh sun visors to counteract that theory.
I guess it's a matter of personal preference, and how the big blue sky affects you when you are driving.
Some people use the plastic strips across the top of the windscreen to cut down the glare a bit.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 343556

Follow Up By: stefan & 12 times Dakar winner - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:18

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:18
A guy has popped up on e-bay flogging off the mesh ones

sunvisor dude on ebay (click here)
FollowupID: 611412

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 21:09

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 21:09
I bought one of those for my Defender.With the landy near vertical screen I find it absolutely brilliant.Cost is fair and makes a huge difference with day to day driving in a hot ,glary area such as Mildura.No more hot sun scorching tops of hands etc.One of the best mods I have made!
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 611447

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:30

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:30
My old 80 series cruiser had one on when I bought it. I thought it looked a bit dorky, but it was one of the most practical items when driving during the day. The extra amount of shade it added to the dash area was impressive and it actually seemed to smooth the airflow over the vehicle roofline. I had an ARB roofrack that never made the slightest noise, but when my mate borrowed it (same vehicle, no visor) it had a lot of wind noise above 80km/hr.

If you don't mind the looks, I think its a worthwhile thing to put on - especially as you you already own it.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 343560

Reply By: troopyman - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:40

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 13:40
I just bought one for the troopy . We only live three quarters of a mile from the sun anyway so i figure it cannot hurt . I also painted the roof with reflective roof paint and i can have the troopy in the sun all day and just hop straight in and its not too hot .
AnswerID: 343567

Reply By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:14

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:14
I have 2 GU Patrols, and have (mesh) visors on both of 'em...
The "approach angle" of these is such that I believe there is little (if any) increase in wind resistance.. made no discernible difference to fuel use anyway...

Wouldn't be without 'em! (YMMV)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 343571

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:15

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 14:15
Quite a few years (at least 20) ago I saw some tests on fuel consumption with and without a visors (including the mesh types). There wasn't much difference between mesh and non mesh. Both increased fuel use quite heavily. I can't give any details/data to support this, only going on memory of quite an old article I read "somewhere". The results were significant enough however for me to have made an impression on me and conclude that I would never use one.
AnswerID: 343573

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:08

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:08
I had one once on a vehicle. Did a job, but I wouldn't put one on again because:

Adds to wind resistance.
A point for corrosion where mounted.
Catches on branches.
Block vision when you need to look up at obstacles.

But maybe the most important.... I look daggy enough without one!

Enjoy Oz
AnswerID: 343579

Follow Up By: Cruiser Crazy - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:20

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 15:20
Hahahahaha,
I'll ask my girl to hold it while I take a look.
Don't wanna look to much like you ;-)

If the sun starts to bother me to much, I might go for some sunglasses.

Thanks guys,

Cruiser Crazy
FollowupID: 611421

Reply By: HGMonaro - Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 22:06

Saturday, Jan 10, 2009 at 22:06
bro-in-law had on on his MQ years ago. We caught a bird with it... it got it's head stuck in the gap at the top.. we were doing about 80 at the time, so although still alive when we stopped it wasn't very well, so we had to put it out of it's misery with a rock.
AnswerID: 343628

Sponsored Links